FT8 submissions to LOTW

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

FT8 submissions to LOTW

Post by G4POP »

This is from the LOTW source and fully explains the current confusion about FT* mode being logged with LOTW

"You can and should immediately submit your FT8 QSOs to LoTW. Confirmations they generate are valid for DXCC Digital, VUCC, WAS
Digital, and WPX Digital awards.

To submit your FT8 QSOs to LoTW, you must first configure TQSL to automatically "map" their mode to DATA. This is a simple procedure
in TQSL:

1. Select the File menu's "Display or Modify Preferences..." command (on OS X, select the Application menu's Preferences command) to
display TQSL's Preferences dialog.

2. In the Preferences dialog, select the "ADIF Modes" tab, and click the "Add..." button.

3. In the "ADIF Mode:" box, type FT8

4. In the "Resulting TQSL Mode" list, click on DATA, and then click the OK button at the bottom of the tab

5. click the Preference dialog's OK button

Why is this necessary? There will always be a delay between the appearance of a new digital mode, and LoTW being updated to accept
that mode. This delay is not the result of updating LoTW being a lengthy or onerous process; this process is actually quite
straightforward. The delay allows the new mode's properties to stabilize. FT8, for example, was originally named JT8.

When LoTW is updated to accept FT8 QSOs, will the confirmations or award credits generated by your QSOs mapped to DATA be adversely impacted? Absolutely not! If you immediately submitted your FT8 QSO mapped to DATA, but your QSO partner waited and submitted your QSO as FT8, you'll both receive a confirmation valid for DXCC Digital, VUCC, WAS Digital, and WPX Digital awards.

At some time in the future, the ARRL may decide to offer a WAS FT8 endorsement. Such an endorsement will require an "exact mode
match", meaning that both participants in a QSO submit it to LoTW with a mode of FT8. If and when such an endorsement is offered,
the polite operator will.

1. delete the FT8=>DATA mode mapping from TQSL (in the "ADIF Modes" tab of TQSL's Preferences dialog, select the FT8=>DATA mapping and then click the Delete button)

2. resubmit all FT8 QSOs to LoTW

This resubmission will update each QSO already submitted to LoTW. This will not adversely impact any confirmations or award credits
already generated by the updated QSOs.

In summary, there is no reason to delay submitting your FT8 QSOs to LoTW. By configuring TQSL so you can immediately submit them,
you're enabling your QSO partners to quickly gain confirmations and award credits via this excellent new mode."
73 Terry G4POP
N5INP
Old Man

Re: FT8 submissions to LOTW

Post by N5INP »

I'm confused.

I made three FT8 QSOs yesterday, and uploaded them to LoTW. Then I realized that they weren't showing up as any type of mode in Log4OM. I then did some research and found out about all the changes I needed to do (I know stupid me). I didn't know I had to make any mods to files.

So originally the QSOs showed up in the LoTW QSO listing as JT65 (the Log4OM listing showed a blank for the mode) . Then I made all the file changes to Tqsl and Log4OM, as stated in this forum, and uploaded the files again to LoTW. The QSOs show as FT8 now in Log4OM, but they still show as JT65 in LoTW. I cannot delete the QSOs from LoTW, nor can I get it to show the files as "data" or "FT8".

Also when I re-uploaded the files after making changes to the programs on my computer, the TQSL program put up a warning box that says -

"The only reason to re-sign duplicate QSOs is if a previous upload was not processed by LoTW, either because it was never uploaded or there was a server failure. Are you sure you want to proceed?"

Have I done all the changes I need to do to use FT8, or have I uploaded bad info to LoTW? It shows the QSOs as JT65.

I'm sorry if all this seems obvious to many people here, but to some of us it's not at all straightforward. I apologize in advance for being dense.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: FT8 submissions to LOTW

Post by G4POP »

The best thing you can do is wait until ADIF and LOTW will accept FT8 as a proper mode instead of lumping it into 'DATA', probably a couple of weeks. - When this happens cannons will be fired, rockets launched and the media will be ablaze with the news which of course will also be sedately announced on the Log4OM forum! :D :D :D :D :D

Then ensuring that the QSO's are marked FT8 in Log4OM and that any TQSL.exe mapping of FT8 to DATA has been removed, upload the QSO's again.

Hopefully if the stations that you worked employ the correct upload method to LOTW everything will be matched :D
73 Terry G4POP