QSL Issue's

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
K4SHQ
Advanced Class

QSL Issue's

Post by K4SHQ »

There are a lot of things I really like about Log4OM. Some things not so much. I just got a batch of QSL cards from the bureau. According to your help documentation, I should be able to open the "QSL Management" window, select QSL, and then enter the call of the incoming QSL card and so a search for it. There is probably more to it than that, but without opening the Search Parameters window I find no place to enter a call sign. The Search Parameters window lets me set up a search but nothing I set up actually executes.

Let me mention just one "nit". When uploading or downloading eQSL or LoTW QSL's, I have to click on upload or download twice to get the job done. Could you, in a future version, look for a cleaner way to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Dan - K4SHQ
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: QSL Issue's

Post by G4POP »

dmalcolm wrote: 21 Aug 2017, 15:47According to your help documentation, I should be able to open the "QSL Management" window, select QSL, and then enter the call of the incoming QSL card and so a search for it. There is probably more to it than that, but without opening the Search Parameters window I find no place to enter a call sign. The Search Parameters window lets me set up a search but nothing I set up actually executes.
Did you click the enter button on your keyboard or the 'Search' button adjacent to the Call sign field or hold down the 'Alt' key while pressing the 'S' button on your keyboard to obtain the result displayed below?

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (111.41 KiB) Viewed 5446 times
Let me mention just one "nit". When uploading or downloading eQSL or LoTW QSL's, I have to click on upload or download twice to get the job done. Could you, in a future version, look for a cleaner way to accomplish this?

Did it occur to you that you might have multiple accounts and need to select an alternative account? hence the second window!
73 Terry G4POP
K4SHQ
Advanced Class

Post by K4SHQ »

Did you click the enter button on your keyboard or the 'Search' button adjacent to the Call sign field or hold down the 'Alt' key while pressing the 'S' button on your keyboard to obtain the result displayed below?

For some reason I failed to see the Callsign field at the top left. My error.

Did it occur to you that you might have multiple accounts and need to select an alternative account? hence the second window!

Nope, because I while I do have another account, only one is serviced by this configuration. Did it occur to you that I might only have one account?
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

dmalcolm wrote: 21 Aug 2017, 19:07 Nope, because I while I do have another account, only one is serviced by this configuration. Did it occur to you that I might only have one account?
So we should configure the UI for users that only want to use a single account and ignore those that have multiple accounts and wish to use them?
73 Terry G4POP
K4SHQ
Advanced Class

Post by K4SHQ »

Enough! I have questions and suggestions. If explaining them to me without sarcasm is not possible, I will not make them. For myself, I apologize for my snarky remark. I am not a fan of it, especially when I do it.

You write your software, if I like it I will use it, if not I won't.
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

Dan,
I don't think Terry's answer was one of "sarcasm".

What he was trying to say was that Log4OM is written to accommodate as many users and configurations as possible. Perfect, no, but not far off.

The other thing one has to realize is the difference in language. I know you think both are English. Well, one is U.S.A. and the other is a Brit. The Brits can come across as abrasive at times and not mean it that way. Big difference!

As A. Lincoln once said (or something like it), good if you can please 51%, 50% of the time.

Have a nice day and stick with us. You'll be happy. :D
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"
K4SHQ
Advanced Class

Post by K4SHQ »

Thanks Chuck. Terry did come off as abrasive, but I was irritated at myself too, because behavior I don't like in others, I especially don't like in myself. I actually do like Log4OM, and will stick with it. Some things that I think need to be improved, my be on someone else's wish list too. But I certainly wouldn't want changes just for me. One thing to keep in mind; before retirement I too was a developer/database manager. So I do understand the Log4OM developer team. That's why you'll never hear demands from me, but may on occasion hear that I have a problem. In this case Terry answered my first problem very well. In the second case with my suggestion, not so much. I would suggest someone look at the documentation for addressing QSL cards that are incoming. It not wrong, just not complete IMHO.

Thanks again Chuck.

Dan - K4SHQ
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Thank you Chuck,

Perhaps K4SHQ might check my responses to the many other queries he has posted on this forum and perhaps review his opinion of my being abrasive?

The use of the local idiom is not always understood on your side of the Atlantic and sometimes there is misunderstanding in the other direction! I will be more circumspect in my responses to our American users in the future to avoid what is clearly sometimes mistaken as offensive phraseology!

The entry of a call sign when processing QSL cards in the QSL manager is well covered in the YouTube video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VL1k0pOJUA about 5.25 minutes into the video.

The user guide section 'QSL tools' on page 89 also clearly displays the entry of a call sign for processing incoming QSL cards, this appears to have been sufficient explanation in the past because I don't remember a query of this type on the forum before?

Keep well CUL
73 Terry G4POP
K4SHQ
Advanced Class

Post by K4SHQ »

Then lets chalk this up to me just missing it. Thanks Terry.
Dan Malcolm
K4SHQ