QSL & LoTW log dates

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
W0OGH
Advanced Class

QSL & LoTW log dates

Post by W0OGH »

First of all i''m using Log4OM 1.29.0.0. It's more of an irritation than anything else. When i've got enough QSO's or remember it i create an ADIF file to send to LoTW. Then i go into the QSO Archive and due a field update for all the QSO i just sent to LoTW, marking them with a Y. However, when i get back a verification from LoTW, the sent date is the current date and not the date i entered when i actually submitted them to LoTW. I try to keep my log as accurate as possible so this is an irritation because every QSO i get confirmed i have to verify both the Sent and verified dates and make changes. Shouldn't have to do that in my opinion.

Help or update me on this please.
Larry
W0OGH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: QSL & LoTW log dates

Post by G4POP »

Larry
Why are you not using the LOTW upload and download facility provided by the QSL manager as shown in this video and explained in the user guide? This is an automatic system to save you all of the hardship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLT3UuMlocc

I also recommend an upgrade to version 1.30
73 Terry G4POP
W0OGH
Advanced Class

Post by W0OGH »

I would like to use the auto upload/download feature. However, i've not been able to get it to work. I was using the HRD auto up/download and then all of a sudden it quit working some time back. Not been able to figure out just what is wrong. I've checked and rechecked the passwords and other things it asks for but still no potatoes. somewhere something isn't talking but i'll be damned if i can figure it out. It's more than likely something simple that i'm overlooking or missing. Usually is.

still though, when i do an ADIF file transfer from LoG4OM to HRD or the other way around, dates should not change. I do that when i discover QSO's in one log that aren't in the other, things i've missed doing in the past.

One thing i've also noticed is that if i duplicate a QSo in a large ADIF file transfer from HRD to LoG4om, Log4OM shows a duplicate QSO entry. If i go from Log4OM to HRD, i don't see any duplicate entries. Same procedure right?

Larry
W0OGH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Larry wrote: 31 Aug 2017, 16:31 I would like to use the auto upload/download feature. However, i've not been able to get it to work. I was using the HRD auto up/download and then all of a sudden it quit working some time back. Not been able to figure out just what is wrong. I've checked and rechecked the passwords and other things it asks for but still no potatoes. somewhere something isn't talking but i'll be damned if i can figure it out. It's more than likely something simple that i'm overlooking or missing. Usually is.
Perhaps you should check that you have the latest version of the TQSL software installed and that your certificates have not expired?
One thing i've also noticed is that if i duplicate a QSo in a large ADIF file transfer from HRD to LoG4om, Log4OM shows a duplicate QSO entry. If i go from Log4OM to HRD, i don't see any duplicate entries.
Log4OM will not accept duplicate QSO's and HRD often causes duplicates to be generated and accepted without any error messages, which we consider incorrect data management - Duplicate QSO's are not acceptable in Log4OM databases!
73 Terry G4POP
W0OGH
Advanced Class

Post by W0OGH »

Certificates are current. I can manually up or download thru TQSL but for some reason it doesn't work in HRD anymore. However, i did figure out how to make it work in Log4OM and that's my main log. got additional steps to take though to do what HRD did automatically. Still it's a fun program with lots of little Plus's.

Thanks for the info.
Larry
W0OGH
W0OGH
Advanced Class

Post by W0OGH »

But i do see duplicates in Log4OM! And they are from HRD. Even though i get an error msg when importing an ADI. file if there is dup info it still puts them in the log. I run across them a lot of the time and only catch them if i see the same call sign with times that are within usually 10 seconds or so. Now when i go from Log4OM to HRD V 5.0, i don't get duplicates or at least have not found any. I do find that certain data does not go from Log4OM to HRD correctly. FOr some reason when i download my LoTW confirmations into Log4OM and then after they ahve been marked as verified i create an ADIF file to export them to HRD. When i get them into HRD and look at the supposedly validated QSO's, they do not have the same date in HRD that they were set with in Log4OM and is what LoTW says. I've got thousands of QSO's that i have to go back into HRD and correct dates because they came from LoG4OM with the date that i did the transfer, not the date that they were sent to LoTW nor date they were validated in LoTW. I'm kind of a stickler for date accuracy. I'm also a slow learner sometimes Terry.

Larry
W0OGH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Send me an ADIF file that was generated by HRD twenty or so duplicates please

HRD records information regarding LOTW in fields which are specific to HRD and that do not conform to the latest ADIF format that is why it does not appear in HRD when you import updated data from Log4OM

Why do you need to use two logging programs??????????????????????????
73 Terry G4POP
G4NVB
Advanced Class

Post by G4NVB »

Until very recently HRD had a Bug that under certain conditions caused duplicate Log Entries by corrupting some original Log Data. It also has / had a bug in that it didn't export the IOTA_ISLAND_ID. If you respect your Logbook Data I would strongly advise not to keep importing/exporting between different Logbook Formats.
73 de David G4NVB
W0OGH
Advanced Class

Post by W0OGH »

G4POP wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 06:49 Send me an ADIF file that was generated by HRD twenty or so duplicates please

HRD records information regarding LOTW in fields which are specific to HRD and that do not conform to the latest ADIF format that is why it does not appear in HRD when you import updated data from Log4OM

Why do you need to use two logging programs??????????????????????????
I started out with HRD years ago when i got into the computer logging. My current version is 5.0 build 2893 so it's not a current version by any means. I found LOG4OM several years back and started playing with it, importing ADI files from HRd with occasional live logging using it. I'm still learning how to use LOG4OM, lots of things don't make sense so in the meantime i keep duplicate logbooks. Yes i agree it's a lot of extra work but i'm dealing with it although all my live time logging is now with LOG4OM. I also use the HRD log as a reference for info that isn't found, like LOTW updates or missing QSO's that didn't get transferred into LOG4OM. A variety of reasons but as i said i'm slowly transitioning to full time LOG4OM. Your point about the data points differences in HRD and LOG4OM is noted.
W0OGH
Advanced Class

Post by W0OGH »

I wasn't aware that the two logbooks would be so different in what data points would exchange between them without causing problems or would cause problems. Both have their good points. LOG4OM, because i'm one of the older generation, has a learning curve that appears steeper than what HRD did years back when i first incorporated it into my logging process.

Thanks for the info. I'll work on keeping that situation in mind.
Now on to the next problem in LOG4OM.

Larry
W0OGH