QSL & LoTW log dates

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: QSL & LoTW log dates

Post by G4POP »

Larry wrote: 19 Sep 2017, 00:58 I wasn't aware that the two logbooks would be so different in what data points would exchange between them without causing problems or would cause problems.
Well the version of HRD that you are using was the last one released by the original author Simon Brown HB9DRV/G4ELI around the middle of 2011 so you must expect things to change over time and particularly the ADIF format which all logbooks use for data interchange - From memory back in 2011 the ADIF version was 2.04 and we are currently on 3.06 which is dramatically different.

Some software like NiMM logger do not even export the country name or DXCC number whereas Log4OM uses all ADIF fields for export and import.

I used to have an Icom IC-751 but my current IC-7600 is far different and vastly more efficient - Time passes and products including software get improved!

Both have their good points. LOG4OM, because i'm one of the older generation, has a learning curve that appears steeper than what HRD did years back when i first incorporated it into my logging process.
I am surprised that you find Log4OM a steeper learning curve than HRD because it is designed to be simple to use and our users generally confirm that - Perhaps its a case of your long term relation ship with HRD plus the advancing years causing this comparison?

BTW I am 77 years old and actively involved in the development of Log4OM as I was in the development of HRD until 2011

Now on to the next problem in LOG4OM.
Look on the bright side and your PROBLEMS with Log4OM may just become challenges! at least Log4OM is free and you also have totally free support on this forum, by email, PM, Skype, Teamviewer and in some extreme cases by telephone - Where else do you get all that for free

73 Terry G4POP
W0OGH
Advanced Class

Post by W0OGH »

I do agree terry that a lot of problems i'm discovering are part of the learning curve associated with LOG4OM. Yep, been with HRD V5.0 for a number of years and it's been easy to use. It appears that different things are done differently in LOG4oM so as i said, it's a earning curve.

Appreciate your time respond so quickly. Oh yes, free support. Elecraft does it with their line of equipment as far as resolving issues and offering technical support, software issues as well.

Thanks again.
Larry
W0OGH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Larry wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 20:53Oh yes, free support. Elecraft does it with their line of equipment as far as resolving issues and offering technical support, software issues as well.

The difference is that your Elecraft radio cost a lot of money partly because the cost of product support is factored into the price - Log4OM is free there is no payment for the cost of product support!

Voluntary donations are nice but don't even pay for the cost of this forum server!
73 Terry G4POP