Synchronisisng multiple locations

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Synchronisisng multiple locations

Post by IW3HMH »

Yes, we can, but we have a very limited window space for information display, mantaining compatibility with ultramobile PC's.
If you have a nice suggestion on where to place those informations i'll be glad to evaluate it, and implement if possibile and if it's not too much cluttering the screen

Daniele
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
yt9tp
Old Man

Post by yt9tp »

For a quick solution, it may be fine to put thet on the same level where tollbar is (just below main menu). It may be another toolbar.

For better solution, it may need more work, more suitable for ne evolution of Log4Om you just announced. Goal would be to show all fields in a manner that is easy to customize. I guess, fixed fields are one of the greatest drawback you have which sets most limitations for improvements.
YT9TP, op. Pedja, QTH Uzice, Serbia, http://www.yt9tp.iz.rs
yt9tp
Old Man

Post by yt9tp »

Here is an example how main screen could be rearanged to provide more flexibility.

More toolbars are introduced for various purposes: 1: for various general options like making backup, 2: for callsign, operator and location selection.

Log fields are moved to the left panel and sored out one below another in manner that allows easy customization of displayed fields and order of fields. Several predefined panel templates may be provided but also user could assemble templates on his own.

This will solve problem of too many fields that has to be accessible at once to support all different kinds of QSOs. This way, user can switch template that matches QSO mode that he is working so all fields he needs are easily accessible, and unnecessary fields are hidden.

If there is an possibilitz that too manz felds are needed so thez cannot fit window width, thez can be grouped in smaller panes that may be expanded or shrinked as necessary.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

It seems that you have customised it to fit your personal requirements!
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

It's a nice proposal, similar to another logbook i know, but won't fit the minimum size requirements of Log4om (actually 880x590).
Having a bigger size will make Log4OM not available on some ultramobile PC used in open air activity.
Also the reduced center area will give me less space for cluster and recent qso columns.

Anyway i'll try to get some suggestions for the new layout, that actually is pretty similar to the old one :)

73 and thanks
Daniele
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
yt9tp
Old Man

Post by yt9tp »

G4POP wrote:It seems that you have customised it to fit your personal requirements!
It seems that you tend to be rude when anyone says something that do not fit your personal requirements.

No, G4POP, as I said earlier, user interface is my specialty, so I made some suggestions how it can be improved in Log4OM for better user experience. I do not follow my personal requirements but general principles of usability.

It seems you are customized to Log4OM interface as you developed it and used it for a long time so you do not see that new users have hard time to learn how to use it.

I do not understand why then you have forums titled Feature suggestions or Error Reports when you accept any suggestion as an attack on you.

Ok, I got the point.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Perhaps if you had not fired a barrage, of what you consider to be errors and shortcomings,immediately you joined the forum and instead read some of the old posts where we have been working with the users to provide what they ask for then you would not have upset, not just me but many of the development team.

Twenty five post of criticism in your first week without one word of praise looks remarkably like a person that is dissatisfied and disagrees with the two years hard work by Daniele.

Try taking the same stance and applying the same attitude on the HRD or DXLabs forums, they will ban you within the first day.

Subject closed and I will get back to doing something productive.
73 Terry G4POP
yt9tp
Old Man

Post by yt9tp »

IW3HMH wrote:It's a nice proposal, similar to another logbook i know, but won't fit the minimum size requirements of Log4om (actually 880x590).
Having a bigger size will make Log4OM not available on some ultramobile PC used in open air activity.
Also the reduced center area will give me less space for cluster and recent qso columns.

Anyway i'll try to get some suggestions for the new layout, that actually is pretty similar to the old one :)
Daniele, a thanks for positive approach.

Sure, I did not show image with message "DO IT THIS WAY!" but as an illustration of some ideas that could improve user interface and relieve you from some limitations current interface has.

For the small screens, picture shows that I added standard tools for each panel that allow it to be removed or open as separate window so user can customize it to suit his screen size. When space is not enough one has to compromise and it is better to let user compromise on his own.

For example, to get larger central part of the screen for qso info, map and cluster you compromised space for QSO entering fields, thus making it quite impractical. My suggestion is to make user interface more customizable so instead having one interface that should suit all needs, user can have several interfaces customized for special purposes so he can easily switch. The idea is that user, while running QSO, has on the screen in front of him everything he needs to enter that specific QSO, without need to switch through tabs or windows.

Sorry for another long reply, I just thought I could do more clarification. This is the last one. G4POP made it clear that my suggestions are not welcome and I do not want to make anyone feel bad by putting them up, or feel bad myself when I get rude answers for no reason.

I will continue to use Log4OM, as this is the only logging application that passed test of my personal requirements, and I like it, but as I see some of your team members are not welcoming another user experience I will stop here with putting them up.
yt9tp
Old Man

Post by yt9tp »

G4POP wrote:Perhaps if you had not fired a barrage, of what you consider to be errors and shortcomings,immediately you joined the forum and instead read some of the old posts where we have been working with the users to provide what they ask for then you would not have upset, not just me but many of the development team.

Twenty five post of criticism in your first two weeks without one word of praise looks remarkably like a person that is dissatisfied and disagrees with the two years hard work by Daniele.

Try taking the same stance and applying the same attitude on the HRD or DXLabs forums, they will ban you within the first day.

Subject closed and I will get back to doing something productive.
Sorry. I did not realize I have to praise you first. I thought, if I use the software, it should be assumed that I like it, and If I have suggestions that means I use it. and I am pretty sure I had no intent to be mean or make Log4Om look bad, I just posted some notes about issues I met with.

Unfortunately, you came rude on me from the first post I made so I thought this is your manner and tried to ignore it. Now I get it better.

I am developer myself, including developing some free software, and whenever I get suggestions from users I do not tend to accept it as critique. Users are users, they should speak what they need and how they think application could be improved, and me as developer should listen and try to make ti better for them/ maybe not in a way they thought of, but in some way surely.

What I got form you are all rude answers with no intent to get into the issue pointed out. For some reason you marked me as ignorant newcomer and decided that my suggestions should not count and that I should not have them in the first place.

I did read the forum, of course not all, an I also read the manual. That is how I do things: first try to find solutions on my own, and when I cannot then I ask.

Sorry if I upset others too. I really had no such intention. Maybe I really first had to say how awesome log4Om is, because I do think it is and I do think Lof4Om development team did very nice job.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Please check my past responses trying to help you resolve your issues before you make accusations.

We try to help everyone on this forum and perhaps your continual 'suggestions' have been interpreted as criticisms in some part, if they were intended to be helpful and we have miss-understood then I apologise, but I am sure that if you re read your posts that you will understand why you come across as antagonistic.

BTW my comment about you personalising the UI was only a comment not sarcasm.
73 Terry G4POP