Code 183 when trying to update to 1.30

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
WE0J
Novice Class

Code 183 when trying to update to 1.30

Post by WE0J »

This afternoon I opened my log as I usually do and saw the reminder again that there is a newer version. So I went over to the Log4om home page and clicked on the icon for windows download. Everything looked normal, then I got a window pop up and says " an error occurred while attempting to rename a file in the destination directory: MoveFile failed; code 183 Cannot create a file when that file already exists ". So I aborted the install and tried it again. Same thing. So I gave up and just tried to open the log. She no good ..... And now I cannot open my log program at all. I get a message saying " Windows cannot access the specific device, path, or file." Can you please help me? I have over 5500 contacts in my log that I would rather not lose ;) Thanks in advance !
Joe Garrison
WE0J
73!
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Code 183 when trying to update to 1.30

Post by G4POP »

Make a note of the File and it's location then go delete it

Now install again as an administrator by right clicking on the install file.
73 Terry G4POP
WE0J
Novice Class

Post by WE0J »

Hi Terry,
Found the file but it tells me I need "permission from the administrator" to deal with the file. ?

Thank you
Joe
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Just click continue

And that identifies your issue you were not installing Log4OM as an administrator otherwise the install could have deleted the file OK

Install as an administrator by right clicking on the install file and select 'Run as an administrator'
73 Terry G4POP
WE0J
Novice Class

Post by WE0J »

Just now tried it again from the point of downloading the file. From the folder where the file is saved I see No option for " open as administrator" when I right click on the downloaded file.
My apologies.. I always open the log as administrator so the cat and cluster etc. work correctly. But there is no option for open as administrator when right clicking the Log4OM_1_30_0_0.exe file.
Confused now...lol
Thank you
Joe
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

WE0J wrote: 29 Nov 2017, 16:04 But there is no option for open as administrator when right clicking the Log4OM_1_30_0_0.exe file.
Confused now

AFTER you have unzipped the download file you will find this when you right click on the Log4OM_1_30_0_0.exe file.

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (88.89 KiB) Viewed 5849 times
73 Terry G4POP
WE0J
Novice Class

Post by WE0J »

Terry,
I found the file, same location as you show on the illustration. Unzipped .exe file. Right click and choose Run as Administrator. Says adding files from a log4om enu.pdf file, goes to installing.. Removing files, and stops with that 183 error code. Tried here again to manually remove the file and I get a file access denied. I need permission to perform this action. ???

Sorry Terry,
73 Joe
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

WE0J wrote: 29 Nov 2017, 19:45 Tried here again to manually remove the file and I get a file access denied. I need permission to perform this action. ???

When you get to the point where windows says you need permission, does it not say 'Continue'?

All you should need to do is click 'Continue' as I said in my earlier post, and the file should get deleted!

During the install it askes if you want to download the user guide - Uncheck the box to say no you don't want the user guide
73 Terry G4POP
WE0J
Novice Class

Post by WE0J »

When trying to download the program the first box that pops up is an "error" yellow yield sign. Describes the file Log4OMmui.exe that it finds still there I guess. The boxes say "Abort" Retry" "Ignore". Tried them all. if I ignore, it stops 3 times with files that it has issues with. Then it acts like it has installed it but when you go to open the program it tells you there is an error and can't find the necessary files to open the program. Then when trying to manually delete the files you get a "File access Denied" box that pops up. On the file access denied box it says " try Again" in one box and "cancel" in the other. When I hit try again it briefly shows a progress bar then shows the access denied box again.
All of this just happened after the program was running fine. Fairly new computer here also. Never had a problem. I have not changed anything with the computer what so ever. Have it set up to get windows updates automatically. It has been updated here recently.
Just literally bored yesterday (no new DX) so I thought it would be a good time to update to the latest version. It seems for me here lately if it can break, or get fouled up some how it probably will.
Sorry for the frustrating issue,
73 Joe
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

What version of Windows are you running, Win 10?

It could be that the windows update is causing the problem.

I would try a roll back to a restore point prior to the update and see if that cures the issue.
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"