SOTA Upload Oddity

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
NR3E
Advanced Class

SOTA Upload Oddity

Post by NR3E »

I have noticed this a two or three times and I am sure it is not a Log4OM problem but a SOTA problem. I will typically export a CSV file for my daily SOTA chasing and then upload the file to SOTA. I have seen that if I chase an activator in the 75 meter phone band (3.8 or 3.9 MHZ), SOTA interprets that as a microwave signal.

I have looked at the CSV table and Log4OM is correctly exporting the frequency as 3.8 or 3.9 MHZ. But SOTA is consistently interpreting it incorrectly. I have figured out a workaround by going into the CSV table and changing the 3.8 or 3.9 MHZ frequency to 3.5. When SOTA sees that, it interprets it correctly.

The only reason I mention this is to suggest that if you upload a CSV to SOTA to read the entries before hitting the final "accept" button.

Wierd. Has anyone else seen this?
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: SOTA Upload Oddity

Post by G4POP »

It's possible that the SOTA MT are using the region 1 band plan but certainly it's something that you should mention to them. However don't be surprised if you don't get the response you expect :D
73 Terry G4POP
HB9BRJ
Old Man

Post by HB9BRJ »

I have forwarded the issue to Andy MM0FMF, SOTA database manager.
This was his preliminary reply:

I think the parser accepts >= 3.5MHz && <=3.8MHz (sorry I'm British and that's what I get on 80m) and when a US station enters 3.9MHz that fails and eventually it falls through all the tests and the parser decides that as everything else is Kosher on the QSO it probably is a valid Microwave contact. I'll have a look and see what needs doing., probably 10mins fix.
UNQUOTE

73, Markus HB9BRJ
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

HB9BRJ wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 19:35 I have forwarded the issue to Andy MM0FMF, SOTA database manager.
This was his preliminary reply:

I think the parser accepts >= 3.5MHz && <=3.8MHz (sorry I'm British and that's what I get on 80m) and when a US station enters 3.9MHz that fails and eventually it falls through all the tests and the parser decides that as everything else is Kosher on the QSO it probably is a valid Microwave contact. I'll have a look and see what needs doing., probably 10mins fix.
UNQUOTE

73, Markus HB9BRJ
As I suspected he is using the region 1 bandplan, probably gone in-noticed until now because there is not as much SOTA activity on 75/80 meters
73 Terry G4POP
NR3E
Advanced Class

Post by NR3E »

Interesting. Thanks for forwarding to SOTA. It looks like a fix is in progress.

Ron, KI4TN
HB9BRJ
Old Man

Post by HB9BRJ »

Just got this short note from Andy MM0FMF:
"It was a failure when the 80m frequency was > 3.8MHz and not in another band. I'll update the DB soon with the fix."

Markus HB9BRJ