After Windows 10 update on Dec. 10 2017 I can no longer save new log entries

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
ox3xr

After Windows 10 update on Dec. 10 2017 I can no longer save new log entries

Post by ox3xr »

Hello at Log4OM,

After Windows 10 update on Dec. 10, 2017 I can no longer save a new entry in the log.

When the log4OM application starts there is (after windows 10 update on Dec. 10, 2017) shown a warning with the text: Windows Defender has stopped access for application Log4OM for access to C:\Users\Peter\Desktop\Log\Log4OM\OX3XR.SQLite

In Windows Defender Security Center I have approved Log4OM application file
C:\Program Files\IW3HMH\Log4OM\LogOMUI.exe as an approved app to access the folder (see path above) where the SQLite log file is stored.

The logfile is opened by using the tab FILE and OPEN DATABASE and the path to the sql-file is shown in lower right corner of the main screen (C:\Users\Peter\Desktop\Log\Log4OM\OX3XR.SQLite).

I have access to all the QSO's in the selected logfile OX3XR.SQLite

My user file has administrator rights. When starting the Log4OM application with administrator rights the situation is unchanged.

I can not save a new log entry. A warning message with the text: UNABLE TO OPEN DATABASE FILE is displayed when I try to save a new log entry.

Any help to overcome this VERY unwanted situation most likely caused by the Windows 10 update received here on Dec. 10, 2017.

There must be other Log4OM users who are in the same frustrating situation?

Best regards
Peter
OX3XR
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: After Windows 10 update on Dec. 10 2017 I can no longer save new log entries

Post by KI5IO »

Peter,

I've also been blessed with what has been called the "Fall Creator's Update" for Windows 10.

My two Dell laptops did survive this rather extensive update.

Noting your post I finally did a couple of test saves with two different entries. I did not experience what you have described.

When I reloaded Log4OM on this older Dell D830 (I had also installed a new SSD) and a fresh installation of Windows 10 I get hit left/right about administrator rights and have yet to get rid of those annoying prompts. I have one more level to lower the security bar and that might resolve that issue.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that something else doesn't come up causing a wrinkle.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: After Windows 10 update on Dec. 10 2017 I can no longer save new log entries

Post by G4POP »

This has to be due to enhanced security measures in the updated OS try lowering the UAC to the minimum setting and reaffirm the administrator privileges for Log4OM by going to the properties of the LogOMUI.exe located here C:\Program Files (x86)\IW3HMH\Log4OM.

Otherwise double check Windows defender and firewall settings.

I have the Creator update and apart from having to re-install a couple of printer drivers all works fine
73 Terry G4POP
ox3xr

Post by ox3xr »

Hello Terry,

Thank you for your cooperation on this issue.

I have tried to start the Log4OM with administrator rights. This did not change anything.
Log4OM is listed in my FireWall.

May the location of the SQL logfiles on my desktop be the root cause to the problem? I will have these files moved to the same file folder where the application exe-file is located. I will report back when this is done.

I most possibly need assistance to have adjusted/corrected e.g. Windows Defender on the parameters that went wrong after this fatal windows update, sorry.

Best regards
Peter
OX3XR
ox3xr

Post by ox3xr »

Terry,

After I moved the SQL log files to the same file folder as where the application exe-file is located I can again save new QSO's.

Bgrds
Peter
OX3XR
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

PeterNuuk wrote: 15 Dec 2017, 01:11 Terry,

After I moved the SQL log files to the same file folder as where the application exe-file is located I can again save new QSO's.

Bgrds
Peter
OX3XR
This is not good practice I would move it to somewhere like documents or a specific 'Logbook' folder
73 Terry G4POP
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

HiTerry,

i have my Database in the folder for the cloud. That means i have this folder on my personal PC
but changes will be uploaded to my cloud too. So i have stored the database on my PC and in the
cloud ...

:D :D
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Yes me also Juergen!

In fact I also run Log4Om from my Google Drive (cloud storage) using the portable version, this gives me synchronised access from all of my computers and Windows Tablet
73 Terry G4POP