CW Skimmer and Log4OM.

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

CW Skimmer and Log4OM.

Post by KD0ZV »

I cant seem to figure out what I am doing wrong getting CW Skimmer and log4OM working.

I can run them separately just fine but get an access violation when starting both. Doesn't matter which order I start them.

If I start the CW skimmer first then the radio (Flex 6500) does not talk to Log4OM, so I have been starting the logging program and then skimmer and ignoring the error to get it working.
Attachments
2017-12-31_9-47-33.jpg
2017-12-31_9-47-33.jpg (16.4 KiB) Viewed 4732 times
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: CW Skimmer and Log4OM.

Post by G4POP »

You need to run CWSkimmer, Omnirig, Bandmaster and Log4OM 'As an administrator'
73 Terry G4POP
rrmccabe

Post by rrmccabe »

Don't even have bandmaster installed!

Thanks Terry

Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KD0ZV »

Still have not figured this out and really dont understand what Bandmaster is contributing.

But appears the error comes from the fact that these programs are trying to launch its own instance of OmniRig??

What am I missing to allow the programs to all use OmniRig?
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

kd0zv wrote: 01 Jan 2018, 20:34 Still have not figured this out and really dont understand what Bandmaster is contributing.
Its not and it does not matter if you don't have it installed I was just trying to demonstrate that all of those programs need to be set to 'RUN AS AN ADMINISTRATOR'

But appears the error comes from the fact that these programs are trying to launch its own instance of OmniRig??

What am I missing to allow the programs to all use OmniRig?
Omnirig provides a multi threading environment that allows CERTAIN software to all use it simultaneously to conect to one com port/radio!

Quote from Afreet Software:

"Multi-threading: multiple programs, written by different authors in different languages, can control the radio via Omni-Rig at the same time"

These programs must be designed to do so and must each be 'RUN AS AN ADMINISTRATOR' to be able to all use Omnirig and synchronise!

Examples of programs designed to function like this with Omnirig are as follows:

Log4OM
SDR-Radio Consul
CW Skimmer
Bandmaster
WSJT
Faros
HDSDR

etc etc etc

You don't have to have them all installed I am just illustrating the scope of the Omnirig software
73 Terry G4POP
NS8K
Advanced Class

Post by NS8K »

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here and if so, I apologize.

I had a similar situation with Log4OM, Omnirig, WSJT-X and JTAlert. I'm using a 2 cable connection with an IC-7300. Log4OM has always been run as Administrator and I discovered that JTAlert/WSJT-X also had to be run as Administrator or CAT could not be shared between the two applications. Depending on how things were started up, CAT would work with one or the other but not both. Probably lots of folks have run into this.

What I conveniently discovered is if I have Log4OM launch JTAlert which in turn launches WSJT-X, everything ends up working correctly and I have assumed (that's a dangerous word!) that is because the launched programs must also by default be running as Administrator. The cool thing about doing it this way is there is no annoying UAC prompt when JTAlert or WSJT-X start up.

There may be a way to verify in the PC that these programs are running as Administrator. I don't know how to do that but it doesn't matter because it just works. I assume (there's that word again!) this method would work with other combinations of programs like Rich's situation.

EDIT - Ok, instead of being lazy, I googled how to tell if a program is running as Administrator and it is a very easy thing to do in Task Manager. A couple quick tests verify that indeed, all of the launched programs including Omnirig are all running "Elevated" (Microsoft's term) when launched by Log4OM running as Administrator. So, that eliminates the "assumed" a couple paragraphs above.
73 - Tom NS8K
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

NS8K wrote: 02 Jan 2018, 03:00
There may be a way to verify in the PC that these programs are running as Administrator. I don't know how to do that but it doesn't matter because it just works. I assume (there's that word again!) this method would work with other combinations of programs like Rich's situation.
There is a full explanation of how to check and change the administration properties of software in our user guide
73 Terry G4POP