USA zone 5 issue

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
WA9WSJ
Novice Class

Re: USA zone 5 bug?

Post by WA9WSJ »

Hi Jim,

"Are those zone errors form QSO's uploaded from JTAlert?", Since I'm not using the XML paid service, I can't be sure the errors are from the upload.

Until such time that I do subscribe for the service, I won't know for sure. To add to this thought, I'm wondering will a subscriber get correct zone info even if the guy being looked up doesn't have it posted on his page? My guess would be 'no'. But that would take research by a subscriber to prove, something I'll certainly do at the right time.

So for now I'll have to live with it the way it is, hopefully it all gets sorted out when I can subscribe, which I'll mention the results here so others that experience the same problem will know why.

Again Thanks to all who have helped me get this far.

73 Tom WA9WSJ
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

If there is no zone information available, it will resolve to the center of the contry, i.e. USA would be zone 5.

Another option is to use HamQTH for look ups as it's free.
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"
WA9WSJ
Novice Class

Post by WA9WSJ »

Hello Charles,

Thanks for the info!

I just registered with HamQTH and did a test on a couple of calls that were listed with the wrong zones and they were corrected after I hit the 'update' button...Ahhh Success! They now show the proper zones.

Again, Thank You all!

73 Tom
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Hi Tom,

that´s why we prefer this kind of lookup. Free of charge and all informations will be given.
Hope a lot of hams will use and updating this service.

;) ;)
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
N6VH
Old Man

Post by N6VH »

WA9WSJ wrote: 12 Feb 2018, 01:20 Hi Jim,

"Are those zone errors form QSO's uploaded from JTAlert?", Since I'm not using the XML paid service, I can't be sure the errors are from the upload.

snip.....
Again Thanks to all who have helped me get this far.

73 Tom WA9WSJ
Tom,

My question about errors when uploading from JTAlert wasn't about the XML service. I don't have JTAlert do any XML lookups. I just meant, when JTAlert logs to Log4OM, are the zone errors present in Log4OM? In other words, when JTAlert transfers the QSO to Log4OM (without lookups), are there errors?

Jim N6VH
WA9WSJ
Novice Class

Re: USA zone 5 issue

Post by WA9WSJ »

Hi Jim,

I checked one qso and the ITU region was wrong, so I updated it and it was changed correctly. I "think" it came out of JTAlert that way, so I checked the NO EXTERNAL SOURCES, so as not to influence them externally, and made five qso's and they were all correct.

I will do more testing with the external sources turned off and then turn it back on. BTW, I am using HAMQTH now.

thanks again!
Tom
WA9WSJ
Novice Class

Re: USA zone 5 issue..now more info

Post by WA9WSJ »

Well...to make a long story short, sort of, when I'm connected to QRZ for the info, (no I don't pay), it changes the CQ zone info in the log and in JTAlert! :o

I watched it happen. During the contact, the correct cq and itu zone info would appear in JTAlert, but, once the contact got logged and the confirmation window popped up, I saw the JTAlert info change to what was in the log! Which was incorrect.

So, disconnecting from QRZ, and no external source, the JTAlert info stays correct.

With external source enabled and using hamqth, all works correct.

I've seen both the cq zone be wrong at times I've seen the itu zone be wrong, and all combinations, when connected to qrz. So I'm sticking with hamqth. :)

Tom
N6VH
Old Man

Re: USA zone 5 issue

Post by N6VH »

Tom,

Sounds like you're on the right track. Glad to hear it.

Jim N6VH