USA zone 5 issue

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
WA9WSJ
Novice Class

USA zone 5 issue

Post by WA9WSJ »

Hello Gents,

I checked some log entries recently for the zone numbers and found many that are actually in zone 3 and 4, are listed as in zone 5.

So I did some searching for anything related to this in the forum and found some discussion about it concerning that the original qrz entry could be wrong but I need to add the following because it may be another problem.

I verified that QRZ has the right zone info for a couple of qso's and did an "update" for these qso's in log40m but the zone entry in the log didn't change to the correct number which was shown on qrz.

I'm using the current versions of all three: WSJT-X ft-8 program, JTAlert program and log4om.

Any thought about this?

Thank You!

Tom WA9WSJ
N6VH
Old Man

Re: USA zone 5 bug?

Post by N6VH »

Tom,

I don't know if I can help, but I have some questions.

Did you do the updates from the QSO Manager, or did you do them manually?

If you did them from the QSO Manager, did you click Refresh on the Recen QSO (F8) screen?

Could you provide just a few of the calls that won't update?

Jim N6VH
VK3AMA
Advanced Class

Post by VK3AMA »

WA9WSJ wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 04:47 Hello Gents,

I checked some log entries recently for the zone numbers and found many that are actually in zone 3 and 4, are listed as in zone 5.

So I did some searching for anything related to this in the forum and found some discussion about it concerning that the original qrz entry could be wrong but I need to add the following because it may be another problem.

I verified that QRZ has the right zone info for a couple of qso's and did an "update" for these qso's in log40m but the zone entry in the log didn't change to the correct number which was shown on qrz.

I'm using the current versions of all three: WSJT-X ft-8 program, JTAlert program and log4om.

Any thought about this?

Thank You!

Tom WA9WSJ
Tom,

Are you by chance using the QRZCQ.com xml service?
I just now tested a handful of USA Callsigns as part of JTAlert/Log4OM testing trying to identify the cause of the incorrect zone logging and that XML service in each case returned the wrong zones.

de Laurie, VK3AMA
WA9WSJ
Novice Class

Post by WA9WSJ »

Hello Laurie,

No I am not using qrzcq, just the regular qrz.
Thanks for your help!

Jim,

Yes, I have the logging program automatically update the qso when it is logged.
Yes I've tried the refresh and it doesn't help. I'v even forced an update but still no change.
These calls won't update:

K6RP, NC7B, K0TT...There are more but these will give you a sample.

Thanks Jim!
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

Jim,
Are you a paid subscriber to QRZ?
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

K7PT wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 06:49 Jim,
According to his QRZ page he is only a 'Ham Member' not a paid subscriber for XML lookups
73 Terry G4POP
N6VH
Old Man

Post by N6VH »

K7PT wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 06:49 Jim,
Chuck,

Since you directed that to Jim, I guess you meant me. Yes, I am a paid subscriber, however, I'm not the one with the problem. Maybe you meant it for Tom, the OP.

Jim N6VH
N6VH
Old Man

Post by N6VH »

WA9WSJ wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 02:44 Hello Laurie,

No I am not using qrzcq, just the regular qrz.
Thanks for your help!

Jim,

Yes, I have the logging program automatically update the qso when it is logged.
Yes I've tried the refresh and it doesn't help. I'v even forced an update but still no change.
These calls won't update:

K6RP, NC7B, K0TT...There are more but these will give you a sample.

Thanks Jim!
Tom,

Those calls have the CQ Zone in the QRZ database. However, if you are not a paid subscriber, the zones probably won't be downloaded from QRZ.

Jim N6VH
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

Being a non-paid Ham Member of QRZ you will not receive the zone from QRZ. In that event, Log4OM defaults to the center of the country (U.S.) or zone 5.
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"
N6VH
Old Man

Post by N6VH »

Tom,

Are those zone errors form QSO's uploaded from JTAlert? I don't think I have had any errors when the QSO's are sent to the log that way. The only errors I have had are when I upload from an ADIF (contest QSO's) or typing the QSO in by hand. If there ARE errors from the JTAlert upload, that should be looked at, certainly.

To answer your questions from the JTAlert list: (I'm answering here, because it seems to pertain more to Log4OM)

Yes, if you sign up for xml service, zones will get updated when you do an update. However, this will only happen if QRZ has the zones in the database. I use HamQTH.com for updates, simply because that site seems to have more zones listed than QRZ. I don't know why.

I still subscribe to QRZ, simply because I use that site quite a lot for other lookups.

Be aware - any updates might change other items as well. For example, I operated from AZ in grid square DM23 recently. If anyone with those QSO's in their log did an update, the grid might get changed back to DM12.

I usually only do an update when I have loaded from an ADIF, and only on those QSO's.

Jim N6VH