CAT/Radio Control - can't get working

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
n5if
Advanced Class

CAT/Radio Control - can't get working

Post by n5if »

Initial idea was to use 2 radios with Omnirig, couldn't get that to work, so went to Hamlib, still no luck. Wondering what I am missing.

Win 10 PC, using Hamlib to start, for just this radio, select FT-5000 radio in drop-down, using COM 1, Baud Rate 38400, Stop Bits - 1, RTS checked. Data Carrier Detect = none.

No connectivity to radio, no Green Light on CAT.

Port to radio is functional and working with other applications, so I must have something wrong that I'm just overlooking. Any tips?

Greg
K9IG
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: CAT/Radio Control - can't get working

Post by G4POP »

Greg.

1.Dont use Hamlib if you want to use 2 radio, use Omnirig

2. Ensure that Omnirig and Log4om are Ran as an administrator - Just because you may be the administrator does not make programs install as an administrator. Check our quick start guide and user manuals to find out how to run as an administrator
73 Terry G4POP
k8gvk
New user

Post by k8gvk »

Greg, just went thru this myself. Are you going into a serial port or using and serial to USB converter? it is tricky but once the port and baud rate are matched, it should take off. Some radio's need to be started first with the program open...
In my case I use a serial converter into a USB port. My problem was resolved after fixing the associated USB driver in the computer that somehow became corrupted.
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Hi Greg,

Yes, you will need to use OmniRig to get 2 radios to connect to Log4OM. Did you get the first radio working with OmniRig? Can you get the second radio working as Radio 1 in OmniRig? Do that first, before trying the second radio as Radio2, just to make sure it is nothing in the basic settings.

It sounds like your first radio is an FT5000. What is your second radio?

If you are still stuck, I could offer to work with you in a TeamViewer session. You can send me a message to coordinate.

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
n5if
Advanced Class

Post by n5if »

Hi Guys - Thanks all for the notes, life got in the way and thus the late reply. My setup for the FT-5000 was all on COM 1, from the PC, through my OM Power amp and then to my radio. It's been that way for a year, no issues. The radio was talking to the amp, but was not getting connections back to the PC.

In the end, I used a USB to COM/Serial adapter, put the radio on COM 5, and now I am up and running with Omnirig.

I was using Hamlib just as a test bed, to see if I could get things working, little did I know, it was possibly a serial cable or actual port issue on the PC. I'll roll in RIG 2 here this weekend to see how that goes.

73/Greg
K9IG