Dropbox File Share

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
n5if
Advanced Class

Dropbox File Share

Post by n5if »

Can someone walk me through this i bit more? I understand Dropbox and have it on 2 PCs in the shack. In the Manual I see this:

All computers must have Log4OM and Dropbox installed and use the same file located in a Dropbox folder, e.g. C:\............\Dropbox\Log4OM Logs\Mylog.sqlite

Do I need to configure the file structure and names of the file to be the same on both PC's in a setting tab someplace so that when a new Q is added, it populates both PC's/logs? Where am I missing this config setting?

Thanks
Greg
K9IG
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Dropbox File Share

Post by G4POP »

Your log file located in dropbox must be selected by each instance of Log4OM for the log file to be shared.

It does not matter what the file name is it could be lefthandedwidgetforgreg.sqlite providing Log4OM has it selected for use from File/Open database

The location of the file in dropbox will automatically be the same location on all instances of dropbox on each PC
73 Terry G4POP
n5if
Advanced Class

Post by n5if »

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the note. So I can have the files named differently on each PC, the main point being that they have to be in the same Dropbox directory, correct?

On PC1 I tell it to Open File/Database ABC1.sqlite and on PC2 have it Open File/Database XYZ2.sqlite, both of these will be in a folder \Dropbox\Log4OM Logs

Regardless of the different file names, as long as they are in the same \Dropbox\Log4OM Logs folder, they will resolve to match each other?

Thanks once more.

Greg
K9IG
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

No the file name must be the same on each pc, any name you like but they have to be the same file name in the same folder on all pc's

If you create the file in Dropbox on one pc it will appear in the same Dropbox folder with the same name on all pc's
73 Terry G4POP
n5if
Advanced Class

Post by n5if »

As it stands now, I have 2 logs that have already been created on 2 PCs. Each has its owns log name and right now, one has mostly digital QSOs and the other has everything else. Do I need to create a new database name out on Dropbox and then my current log info on each PC gets mirrored there automatically?

I see where and how to go into FILE > NewDatabase and then make a new name in Log4OM Log folder out on Dropbox. I'm just not understanding if I need to delete my current logs from the 2 PCs and start over with new matching names and THEN creating the shared space on Dropbox.

Thanks

Greg
K9IG
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

1. Export an ADIF file from each of the two existing logbooks
2. On one computer go to file/new database and create a new database in Dropbox
3. Import both Adif files into the new Dropbox database that you just created
4. Go to the other computer and in log4om open the Dropbox database that you just created by going to file/Open database

Now incidences of log4om should be using the same database from Dropbox and display identical qso's
73 Terry G4POP