Miles not working

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
w9mdb
Old Man

Miles not working

Post by w9mdb »

I've got "Shows distances in miles" checked o Settings 2 (been checked for a long time).
But, for example, logged SA3CWW on grid JP80 and the distance on the Country IOTA SOTA tab shows 7111 from my grid of EM49
That distance is in kilometers, not miles.
I would think that checkbox would change the units show to Miles (in other words still stored in the databse in km but displayed in miles).
So this would appear to be a bug.
Only reason I noticed is a friend of mine was bragging about distances and said 16,000 miles when that should be impossible. So we found his miles box was not checked but checking it did nothing. Then I checked some of my own distances and they all still show as km even though my miles box has been on for a very long time.

de Mike W9MDB
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Miles not working

Post by G4POP »

w9mdb wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 03:38 I've got "Shows distances in miles" checked o Settings 2 (been checked for a long time).
But, for example, logged SA3CWW on grid JP80 and the distance on the Country IOTA SOTA tab shows 7111 from my grid of EM49 That distance is in kilometers, not miles.

I would think that checkbox would change the units show to Miles (in other words still stored in the databse in km but displayed in miles).

Once the QSO is saved to the database the distance is stored as KM because that is what the ADIF definition requires and what needs to be exported from the database when requires. Therefore when you display the 'Update QSO' window you are displaying the stored data that would be exported.

So this would appear to be a bug.

No its not a bug it is working as designed

The only dispay of miles is in the field shown in the screen shot below.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (29.05 KiB) Viewed 2559 times
73 Terry G4POP
w9mdb
Old Man

Post by w9mdb »

What screen is that?
Main window right side above the cluster. Type in a callsign and a locator and the miles will be shown there.

;) ;)
KA4CDN
Old Man

Post by KA4CDN »

I too was confused. I understand the implementation but would much prefer that all displayed distances be displayed in the same, selected, units. To do otherwise is confusing.

Also I don't understand why or how, the Distance field is update when using the Update button on the Update QSO dialog. I clear the entry, click the button and every once in a while it is re-populated but most the time it is not.

Thanks for the wonderful logger.
Mike / KA4CDN