KH1/KH7Z shows as Hawaii

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
n5if
Advanced Class

KH1/KH7Z shows as Hawaii

Post by n5if »

I've updated country files as well as SCLs thinking that was the issue but all spot coming in for KH1/KH7Z show as HI not Baker/Howland. I understand how to adjust the country (F2) once I work the station but what am I missing in adding this call to some DB that will ID the country (or any other call that has an XX/ call thats incorrect) correctly?
Thanks
Greg
K7PT
Old Man

Re: KH1/KH7Z shows as Hawaii

Post by K7PT »

We are working on it. Make sure your ClubLog DB is up to date.
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"
PE5TT
Advanced Class

Post by PE5TT »

Any progress on this ?

Seems more general issue in the search/selection routine

For KH7 + 1 letter range there is no working combination, for example PA/KH7 (A till Z) gives Hawaii,
however KH1/KH7ZZ is correct again

there are more strange things, mostly with the complex prefixes
VP8H gives South Shetland is. but when is enter: VP8H/PG8M it gives Falkland is.
73 Marcel de PE5TT www.daverveld.eu
n5if
Advanced Class

Post by n5if »

It's interesting, I just saw a busted spot of KH1/KH6Z come through and is correctly labeled as Baker/Howland - but then the corrected spot of KH1/KH7Z comes through 10 seconds later is posted as Hawaii.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3470

1. Update to Log4OM 1.33

2. Update the Clublog database and ensure that there is an active date shown in Log4OM Help/about - NOT JUST A DOWNLOAD DATE

3. Check the box 'Use Clublog exception information' in the Log4OM Options/Settings 1 tab is checked
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

I identified the issue, and it's in the callsign identification routine.

When you write a callsign, Log4OM "tries" to guess if the part before the / is a callsign or a prefix.

You may write VP8H/PG8M or PG8M/VP8H. I know the prefix is a prefix and should be treated as prefix, but often users are using notations like IW3HMH/I4 to indicate they are in ZONE 4 but still in Italy.
Other ham Operations may write I3/G4POP to indicate they're in Italy too

Log4OM is working that way:
first of all tries to identify what is the callsign and what is the prefix.
Usually precedence is given to format PREFIX/CALLSIGN except in the case prefix is longer than callsign.

With this couple, Log4OM tries at first glance to examine if the CALLSIGN (guessed) is a single complete PREFIX without any character on tail.
After that it checks the PREFIX identified, and if not matched it checks CALLSIGN country

In case of KH1/KH7P regular expression for HAWAII identification (prefix) is:
^[KANW]H6.*|^[KANW]H7[A-JL-Z].*
and matches KH7P

This, unfortunately, matches exactly with Hawaii prefix as reported in the file, and Log4OM identifies it as a PREFIX.
Adding a single character after KH7P will broke the exact match with prefix regular expression,and Log4OM is going forward to check the real prefix.

One solution may be change HAWAII identification to ^[KANW]H6.*|^[KANW]H7.* as Kure Island is matched by KH7K and makes the [A-JL-Z] unnecessary. This works mainly because Kure Island is placed before Hawaii in the search list
This would need some tests.

Another possibility is to avoid "guessing" a callsign is a prefix if the callsign itself is longer than the expected prefix.

This also fixes the game (i'm evaluating if keeping that on code or not)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
PE5TT
Advanced Class

Post by PE5TT »

By my knowledge the rule is that the prefix of the DXCC your in is placed first.

Only if a you in the same DXCC, but in a different zone you may use the tailing prefix like: IW3HMH/I4
In these tailing cases the DXCC's are always the same.

If DXCC's are different then it is safe to say that the first being the DXCC your in.

Right ?
73 Marcel de PE5TT www.daverveld.eu
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

No because many times operators use the entity identifier that SHOULD be used as a prefix as a suffix
73 Terry G4POP
sp9wpn
Advanced Class

Post by sp9wpn »

With Lighthouse event running this weekend, there are plenty of station suffixed "/LH", so Log4OM puts them all in Norway...
Could you please disable this "feature"?

In my opinion, no software should not promote bad manners (ie. putting country in suffix, not prefix). Many will later recon that country in suffix is legit, because "my logging software said so".

I'd wish this disputable feature to be at least user-selectable in config.

Thanks,
Wojciech
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

/LH is a recognised prefix and sometimes suffix for Norway, using it for Lighthouse is not internationally recognised.

If we dissable /LH the next time someone signs for example F6ABD/LH it would record France as the country and you would not like that either!

Ask the Lighthouse operators to use only country, mobile or portable suffixes and your issue will be resolved
73 Terry G4POP