Club Log Upload Options Not Explained

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
N5INP
Old Man

Club Log Upload Options Not Explained

Post by N5INP »

Hello,

Please see attachment. I want to use the Club Log upload from now on (instead of uploading an exported .adi file) but I'm not sure exactly what some of the selections do. A few are clear but others are not; specifically -

Clublog upload status filter - Not N/Y

and

Flush existing Clublog database

I have just downloaded the most recent manual and read it and these options are not even addressed anywhere - specifically, on page 97 where they should be explained clearly but are not.

If I have never used this option what exactly am I supposed to do and in what order, and what exactly do the selections mean/do that I referred to above?

Thank you
Attachments
clublog_options.JPG
clublog_options.JPG (24.87 KiB) Viewed 6120 times
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Club Log Upload Options Not Explained

Post by G4POP »

N5INP wrote: 30 Jun 2018, 00:00

Clublog upload status filter - Not N/Y
How the QSO's are already marked e.g. Y = The QSO's already uploaded to Clublog and N = Those that have not been uploaded

Flush existing Clublog database
When you load your QSO's to Clublog you have the option to delete all of the QSO's already recorded at Clublog this is called flushing, like flushing the toilet it gets rid of everything!
73 Terry G4POP
N5INP
Old Man

Post by N5INP »

OK I must then be a real dummy, but what does "Not N/Y" mean? It makes no sense to me whatsoever - either an individual QSO is uploaded (Y) or it is not uploaded (N). There is no other state than either a Y or a N. :|

I know that you understand all of this or you would not be a helper, and I know you expect people to read the manual (which I did before posting). But given that the manual does not explain all these things, I wish you would please explain them all because it just causes me to ask another question (like this second post).

I really appreciate your helping on the forum, but sometimes it's hard to get an understandable answer.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Not N/Y means qso's that are marked with neither a Y nor an N they might be blank fields or filled with something other than Y or N like zero or Q
73 Terry G4POP
N5INP
Old Man

Post by N5INP »

G4POP wrote: 30 Jun 2018, 19:00 Not N/Y means qso's that are marked with neither a Y nor an N they might be blank fields or filled with something other than Y or N like zero or Q
Well I just do not understand the logic behind it - perhaps again I'm too dense to "get it" but help me understand.
I just imported my KH1/KH7Z FT8 contact into Log4OM. It shows the LoTW sent status as "N" - I didn't set that it has that set automatically; because it hasn't been sent. Makes sense.

But why wouldn't a Club Log import not be set the same way? If I import it, the sent status should be "N", how could it be "Y", how could it be blank or any other character? So can you explain why LoTW field is set to "N" for the user (if the contact hasn't been sent) when initially imported, but not the Club Log field? Is this an oversight, or is this done for some purpose that I can't understand?

Thanks for your patience.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

N5INP wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 12:27I just imported my KH1/KH7Z FT8 contact into Log4OM. It shows the LoTW sent status as "N" - I didn't set that it has that set automatically; because it hasn't been sent. Makes sense.

But why wouldn't a Club Log import not be set the same way? If I import it, the sent status should be "N", how could it be "Y", how could it be blank or any other character? So can you explain why LoTW field is set to "N" for the user (if the contact hasn't been sent) when initially imported, but not the Club Log field? Is this an oversight, or is this done for some purpose that I can't understand?
Imported from where and how?

The user guide has been updated for you and is now ready for download so download a fresh version of the user guide and read pages 98 to 101
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

If you import something in Log4OM, the corresponding ADIF field may be existing or not existing.
If it's not existing, it's considered EMPTY.

Log4OM correctly write Y for uploaded QSO, N for non uploaded QSO and imports those data from ADIF.

If a software is NOT providing this field, Log4OM cannot "guess" the field value, and keeps it BLANK.

NOT Y/N will load all those "undefined" records and manage them as you want.
Please note 99.9% of ADIF are not providing this field, so after an import (or a direct write into Log4OM database) you will have couple of blank values
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
N5INP
Old Man

Post by N5INP »

OK thanks, might be a good idea to add more explanatory verbiage to that area of the manual.

Mike
N5INP
Old Man

Post by N5INP »

G4POP wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 12:00 Imported from where ...
From the program that created the log entry in it's own log file - WSJT-X - an FT8 contact
and how?
How? Using the built-in adif import function in Log4OM.
The user guide has been updated for you and is now ready for download so download a fresh version of the user guide and read pages 98 to 101
Thanks.
N5INP
Old Man

Post by N5INP »

OK I got the new manual and tried it all again.

I added the Club Log columns to the search results layout. They currently contain no characters at all {blank}.

I checked "N" and search and I got no records displayed - OK good.

I checked "Y" and search and got no results - OK.

I checked all and got all my records displayed - OK.

I checked "Not N/Y and got all records displayed - OK.

Problem -

I selected one record to upload to see if the club log fields would be set to something (I expected "Y") after the upload. The upload appeared to do something because I got a message "Running Wait". That is all I saw. But when I checked the Club Log field it did not contain a "Y" or any other character for the record I just uploaded.

Before you ask - yes my name and password for Club Log are correct in Log4OM.

OK so I thought maybe since that record would be a dupe I get no field filled in so I tried it again with a new record (my FT8 contact with KH1/KH7Z) that has not been imported to Club Log any other way (it does not yet exist there). But the same thing happened - no character is put in the Club Log upload status OR date. Also the contact does not show up in my Club Log data. Did it upload or not? If Log4OM encountered an error in uploading it sure doesn't display any indication of that.

So now what is going on?

I'm really sorry for these questions guys but I want to get this working and I still do not understand what this function is doing or not doing. I assume it was tested so what I'm guessing now is that I am not doing something that must appear as obvious to the developers but not so obvious to the average user?