Winkeyer IC 7300 USB Query

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
m0url
Novice Class

Winkeyer IC 7300 USB Query

Post by m0url »

Hi Terry
My rig is an IC 7300 which is currently configured to run CW using a ZLP CW Keyer with no problems whatsoever.
I also use N1MM for contests and recently configured that to use CW with the USB port only. That works quite well also and means I have a spare USB port and fewer cables all over my shack :-D
Is it possible to use Log4OM Winkeyer in the same configuration i.e. using the USB port only or is this a future development? Currently I need an additional port for Winkeyer.
I am very happy with what I have.
Many thanks in advance.
Peter/M0URL
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Winkeyer IC 7300 USB Query

Post by G4POP »

GAVINPT wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 20:01My rig is an IC 7300 which is currently configured to run CW using a ZLP CW Keyer with no problems whatsoever.

Which ZLP unit are you using the CW only unit or the Pro Three with built in Winkeyer?

I also use N1MM for contests and recently configured that to use CW with the USB port only. That works quite well also and means I have a spare USB port and fewer cables all over my shack :-D
Is it possible to use Log4OM Winkeyer in the same configuration i.e. using the USB port only

Providing you dont try to use the N1MM keyer facility at the same time as the Log4OM Winkeyer you can use the same com port number in Log4OM - Physical Com ports cannot be shared by two programs at the same time
73 Terry G4POP
m0url
Novice Class

Post by m0url »

Hi Terry
Thanks for the prompt reply.
I am using the ZLP CW Keyer only and it is driven by the Winkeyer app in Log4OM.
The USB port uses COM 4 and the Keyer Uses COM 3.
When I unplug and close down COM 3 and try to use COM 4 for Winkeyer I get the message
Access to the port COM 4 is denied.
Hence my Query.
Peter/M0URL
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

It will do! you already stated com 4 is your USB connection! So the software can't find the Winkeyer because it's on com 3 not on com 4
73 Terry G4POP
m0url
Novice Class

Post by m0url »

Good point Terry!

I removed the ZLP Keyer and cables from the USB port and all the software associated with COM 3 including driver etc so only COM 1 and COM 4 can be selected by the Log4OM Winkeyer App.
I restarted Log4OM and tried again.
COM 1 is listed as a Communications Port COM 1
COM 4 is listed as Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM4)
If I use COM 1 it reads - The Operation has timed out and if I select COM 4 it reads
"Access to the port COM 4 is denied."

Obviously there is something more subtle about this that I don't understand.
If this involves a major reconfig of my PC or Rig I will just revert back to my original set up.
Peter
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Peter,
I think you are misunderstanding our Winkeyer support, it's just the operating system or user interface and requires a physical Winkeyer hardware to be used.

The silicon labs com port 4 is the Icom USB driver port for connection of your radio to the computer for CAT control and data transmit and receive, it is not for Winkeyer!

Com 1 is probably a normal windows port for mouse or similar.

If you want to use Winkeyer with Log4om reconnect the ZLP interface and then select that port in the Log4om Winkeyer set up tab.
73 Terry G4POP
m0url
Novice Class

Post by m0url »

Many Thanks Terry!
Will do.
Peter