Odd log entry duplication issue with WSJT-X

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
n4nvd
Novice Class

Odd log entry duplication issue with WSJT-X

Post by n4nvd »

Hi there. I occasionally get a failure to send a log entry from WSJT-X to Log4OM. The logs *are* maintained on the WSJT-X adif file, so I tried to integrate my missing contacts into Log4OM by doing an import of the WSJT-X adif file. Evidently, there's a discrepancy (in seconds) in the log entry times between WSJT-X and Log4OM, and as a result I have now duplicated thousands of contacts in my Log4OM log.

Does anyone have an idea how to a) remove the duplicated log entries, and b) make sure that Log4OM and WSJT-X agrees on the time fields so that this doesn't occur again in the future?

Charlie (N4NVD)
n4nvd
Novice Class

Re: Odd log entry duplication issue with WSJT-X

Post by n4nvd »

Getting a closer look, it appears that when WSJT-X sends a record to Log4OM, it seems to send the time as "HH:MM:00" rather than the actual seconds on the QSO, so when the import is done Log4OM sees all the entries in the WSJT-X log as new.

Charlie (N4NVD
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Best thing to do is to revert to a backup prior to the dupe import

Then fix the WSJT ADIF file and reimport
73 Terry G4POP
n4nvd
Novice Class

Post by n4nvd »

Hi Terry - the moron on this end did not think that there would be a problem (as there had never been one before) so no backup to fall back on. Do you suppose that I can remove *all* FT8 contacts from the log and re-import the WSJT-X adif file to get the right times showing?

BTW, found the reason Log4OM was always assuming ":00"... there is a check box in the JT Alert X settings under "logging" to "Log seconds in time_on and time_off values" that I found unchecked. It either must be a new development or somehow got unchecked, because when I enabled it, the log entries sent to Log4OM now have the correct value for seconds.

So if removal of the FT8 records from my Log4OM log and a new import of the WSJT-X adif file will clean me up, I should be good to go from there and will always remember to back the thing up before monkeying with it.

Charlie (N4NVD)
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Yes that will do it, use the QSO Manager

Check enable update and enable delete

Use mode to sort ft8 qso's only

Highlight all FT8 qso's

Press the del (delete) key on your keyboard

Import the WSJT ADIF file with update country check box checked

BTW BACKUPS ARE IMPERATIVE
73 Terry G4POP
N6VH
Old Man

Post by N6VH »

Just a minor correction. WSJT-X doesn't send anything to Log4OM. That is done by JTAlertX, at least in my case, and Charlie's.

As to a failure to log, have you checked to see that the QSO is not there, or are you going by the message from JTAlertX that the QSO wasn't logged? If that is the case, go to Settings/Miscellaneous/Performance/Check QSO Log Record, and increase the time. I have mine set at 10 seconds.

I second Terry's statement about backups. I have Log4OM set to Auto Backup when closing, with a depth of 6.

Jim N6VH
Last edited by N6VH on 29 Jan 2019, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Jim
I suggest a backup depth of 10 or more and a secondary backup without delete

But I am a belt and braces man :D
73 Terry G4POP
N6VH
Old Man

Post by N6VH »

Terry,

I tend to be a bit of a "belt and braces" man myself. My backups actually go somewhat beyond what I mentioned. I backup my important files to an external drive once an hour, and keep two days worth of those. I also do a complete drive image once a day, and keep five of those. Log4OM files are also backed up to the cloud. I just checked, and those files go back to October, 2018.

Jim N6VH