two installations run simultaneously

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
K6XT
Novice Class

two installations run simultaneously

Post by K6XT »

I didn't find posts about this:
Can two separate installs be done in W10, using different calls and different databases?
NB: Profiles won't meet the requirement.
73 Art
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: two installations run simultaneously

Post by G4POP »

Please explain your requirement?
73 Terry G4POP
K6XT
Novice Class

Post by K6XT »

The obvious. Award tracking for two calls simultaneously, real time while on the air.

DXLabsuite handles my call k6xt, runs the radio hardware etc. When they're needed my XYL W8QR also works the DX, then I work it again with our club call NX0U. This activity requires realtime web access for DXCC/WAZ tracking. Neither DXLab nor Log4OM's profiles (workspace in DXLab terms) will provide realtime award tracking for more than one call from what I read in the manuals.

If my understanding of Log4OM capability is in error please save me.

Log4OM at present is used for contact storage, award tracking, and realtime packetcluster advice. Functions related to station control are not implemented.

There you are. Back to my question. Is there any reason two instances cannot be installed and run simultaneously in Win 10 Pro in different directories off of root?

Thanks 73
Art K6XT
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Art,
The resolution to this is real easy, especially as your not using radio control.

Use your installed version of Log4OM for your call

Download the portable version of Log4OM and install it either in the cloud, I use Google Drive but Dropbox or similar will do. Alternatively just install to a folder on your C drive or a memory stick.

Set up the Portable version for your wife's call details and you can run the two programs simultaneously and independently.

Sorry but it was not "obviouse" to me from your initial enquiry! The reason I asked for details as to why! is because we sometimes find new and unsuspected requirements if we are given the complete picture.

The result of your requirement has caused me to consider implementing something in version 2 that will provide the facility you require.
73 Terry G4POP
K6XT
Novice Class

Post by K6XT »

OK thanks Terry and sorry for assuming it would be obvious.

If it wasn't possible I was going to post it as a future feature. Actually I cheated, tried it Sunday. The installer never offered up a choice of directory, just wrote over the existing install. I thought about USB stick but had not tried that yet so thanks for confirming that'll work. Even thought about Virtualbox but a whole 2nd W10 install just seemed like too much.

Its a comfort that Task Manager reports Log4OM usually sits around zero percent CPU use on my old circa 2011 2nd gen I7 laptop. Plenty of processor for two Log4OM's, DXLab, email, web etc. But only if I keep the heatsinks dust free.

73 Art K6XT
K6XT
Novice Class

Post by K6XT »

The portable version is on a USB stick. Everything except the backup path.

I ran the regular version then tried to launch the portable version. PC reported Log4OM is already running & offered to continue. Continuing on, a second instance launched.

The only fly in the ointment is that the second instance opens the same database as the first, for the wrong call. Glad I checked. Other'n having to manually change the database every launch it appears to work.

Tnx 73 Art K6XT
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

K6XT wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 01:10 The portable version is on a USB stick. Everything except the backup path.
Backup path should be either on the cloud or the memory stick, preferably on the stick if you intend to use it on different computers
I ran the regular version then tried to launch the portable version. PC reported Log4OM is already running & offered to continue. Continuing on, a second instance launched.
Normal because the communicator is already running
The only fly in the ointment is that the second instance opens the same database as the first, for the wrong call. Glad I checked. Other'n having to manually change the database every launch it appears to work.
I just checked with my installed version (C: Drive install) and my portable version which runs from a Google Drive and I did not have this problem the correct database was opened every time.

My main install is C:\Users\my user name\AppData\Roaming\LogOM
My portable location is C:\Users\my user name\Google Drive\G4POP\Config

Try locating the sqlite database at the same location as the portable program config!

Its also possible that you have not set the portable exe file to 'Run as an administrator'
73 Terry G4POP