Statistics "Confirmed" except not...

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
EI4HQ
Advanced Class

Statistics "Confirmed" except not...

Post by EI4HQ »

Hi,

New Log4OM user (though unfortunately an ageing ham). I'm utterly delighted with Log4OM, I wish I'd become aware of it ages ago... Anyway, through using Log4OM over the past month or so I've a new found urge to finally get my head together about DXCC post 150 countries confirmed, and to close out DXCC for some individual bands & modes etc. This of course requires getting organised in a way I've never been with QSO confirmations and what worked (but unconfirmed) QSOs I need to chase to up my totals.

Thing is, in closing off QSOs where I've not been asked for a QSL and I don't need that particular QSL (i.e. the country/band/mode is already confirmed via another relevant contact) I've stumbled on what "might" (I stress "might") be an issue with Log4OM. See the attached screen grab:
Log4OM-confirmed-issue.png
Log4OM-confirmed-issue.png (108.78 KiB) Viewed 6738 times
For the Slovak Republic, Log4OM is indicating that I've that country confirmed on 20m+CW... however, if you look at the table, in fact I've no confirmed QSO for that band+mode combination whether it be on the back of a paper QSL, LoTW or even e-QSL (though of course I don't want that mechanism to count in determing DXCC for obvious reasons).

I ask very humbly (as a programmer of long experience who's had all the sharp corners knocked off him in the school of software development hard knocks); am I missing something or misinterpreting something or is this a minor issue with Log4OM?

BR
Cormac EI4HQ
[Cobh - IO51uu / UTC] NNNN++++
BR
Cormac, EI4HQ
[Cobh IO51uu / UTC] NNNN++++
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Statistics "Confirmed" except not...

Post by G4POP »

Hi Cormac,

In the words of the prophet 'Bloody strange that!"

Can you please email me an ADIF of your logbook so that I can explore?

Also what version of Log4OM are you using?
73 Terry G4POP
EI4HQ
Advanced Class

Post by EI4HQ »

Mornin'

Thanks for the reply & for taking the time.

Zipped ADIF logfile can be downloaded from http://86.43.106.118/downloads/EI4HQ-log-2013-11-03.zip (too big to attach it seems).

Using version Log4OM v1.14.0.0. WIll I upgrade to 1.15.0.0 before we continue this conversation (I had an issue with downloading v1.15.0.0 the last time I tried - virus thing - but it's downloaded OK just now)?

BR
Cormac, EI4HQ
BR
Cormac, EI4HQ
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Hi Cormac,
Don't forget to uninstall the old version before installing the new one - An as ever MAKE A BACKUP!
73 Terry G4POP
EI4HQ
Advanced Class

Post by EI4HQ »

Terry,

v1.15.0.0 installed. Situation remains:
Log4OM-confirmed-issue v11500.png
Log4OM-confirmed-issue v11500.png (104.3 KiB) Viewed 6726 times
I note with interest that changing the "Actual View" setting at the bottom of the window yields the following:
  • QSL Status; behaviour is correct, 20m CW for Slovak Republic is red as I've no QSL card received
    LOTW Status; behavour is incorrect (?), 20m CW for Slovak Republic is green but I've no validated LOTW contact...
    QSL and LOTW Status; behaviour is incorrect (?), presumably as it's a logical AND of QSL and LOTW status and the LOTW is incorrect (?)
BR
Cormac, EI4HQ
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Hi Cormac,

I can now simulate your problem and I am checking the database

What logbook did you use before Log4OM?
73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Hi Cormac,
I can confirm that you have found a bug in the 'Country Status' and I will add this to mantis

Probably we had not noticed this because most of us use the Country/QSO grid or awards screens instead.

I would still like to know what logbook you used before because there are many errors in the log, I will fix as many as I can and send you an ADIF back
73 Terry G4POP
EI4HQ
Advanced Class

Post by EI4HQ »

Terry,

In that case sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

I was a long time Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD) user until Simon sold it on to US interests after which it really went downhill; that precipitated my move. HRD was never too good on the log front to be honest e.g. the awards side of it was never properly developed. I continue to use SD by EI5DI for contesting (I'm an avid contester) and FLDIGI for data; I've consequently regularly imported ADIF from SD & FLDIGI as well... a bit of a dog's breakfast ;-) What kinds of errors are you seeing? Are they ADIF format/structure type errors?
BR
Cormac, EI4HQ
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Hi Cormac,
Yes one of our big issues with HRD when I worked with Simon was always the import from other logs like contest logs and FLDigi where there was never enough error checking and updating of missing data.

The problems that I am seeing is lack of data I.e. Empty fields also key stroke errors that were clearly not picked up by software during input, none of them hard to fix in Log4om except missing frequencies which has just enabled me to find another bug in our field updates system - Bugger! Keeps the old grey matter sharp and always a challenge Hi!

This sort of feedback is just what we need because often we are too close to the job and don't see the wood for the trees!

We,now have very tight integration with FLDigi using the XML-RPC interface but again, as ever, there is a shortcoming in FLDigi which is beyond our control, it does not broadcast so it's very much one way traffic and interrogation. However I found the new integration great today being able to click on spots in Log4OM and send call, frequency and mode to FLDigi - Result five new countries on Data Yipee!

Next thing with FLDigi is to fix the missing data as we receive the QSO from FLDigi which requires country, SCL and Clublog checking upon receipt - We will get there in the end!

ADIF is another story and the root cause of version 2 being in progress earlier than we intended this is due to ADIF 3.04 changes, ADIF is now a real dogs dinner but we will get round it eventually.

I will get an ADIF back to you tomorrow but don't forget to add any new QSO's It's probably best to create a new database for the ADIF that I send to you and then import any new QSO's into that.
73 Terry G4POP
EI4HQ
Advanced Class

Post by EI4HQ »

Terry,

Morning. Very kind of you & much appreciated. It's great to know someone with your patience & attention to detail is involved in matters around logbook integrity; it's the critical element (rubbish in/rubbish out and all that) and impacts everything else downstream. In my day job I've some involvement in data integrity & quality checking activities for meteorological data so I know how involved & tedious it can be but also just how important it is.

I did use the FLDigi - Log4OM interface during the CQWW RTTY and it did work very well.
BR
Cormac, EI4HQ