Yaesu FT991A CW/ telnet issue

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
ku3x
Novice Class

Yaesu FT991A CW/ telnet issue

Post by ku3x »

In the function menu on my FT991A there are two bandwidth settings. For CW as well as other modes, the one function icon is a, "narrow/wide" selection. The second function icon is to adjust the actual bandwidth.
Example: for CW you can adjust from 500 hz down to 50 hz if the other Narrow/Wide icon is set for the narrow position. Naturally, for CW I have the one selection set for the narrow position and I usually set the bandwidth for 450 hz on the other function selection.
SO.......here is my issue:

When I select a DX CW callout from Telnet, the radio goes back to a wide selection. So now my bandwidth is no longer 450 hz but it is now 1.7 khz. It will do it every time. I put it back where it should be, click on another DX call out and it goes back to 1.7 khz.

If I leave my muti function knob where it controls the bandwidth, some times it won't run into the above problem.

Barry, KU3X
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Yaesu FT991A CW/ telnet issue

Post by G4POP »

Firstly you do not say which CAT control you are using, Hamlib or Omnirig?

I will assume, probably incorrectly, that you are using Omnirig?

Log4OM sends a frequency and mode command to Omnirig which is interpreted by that program into a Yaesu CAT command line, example below:

Log4OM sends [pmFreqA] nnnnnnnnn (This is the Frequency) to Omnirig

Omnirig sends Command=(FA.........) to your FT991A

Log4OM sends [pmCW_U] (This is the mode) to Omnirig

Omnirig sends Command=(MD03;) to your FT991A

Neither Log4OM or Omnirig send a filter command to your FT991A, you can check this yourself by opening the FT991A rig ini from the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Afreet\OmniRig\Rigs

There are not any filter commands in the Omnirig rig ini for your radio so we CANNOT select them

Therefore I am guessing, because I dont own any Yeasu radios, that there is some default filter setting for CW that can be selected by the user from the 991 menu
73 Terry G4POP
ku3x
Novice Class

Post by ku3x »

I am using hamlib. CAT is via USB cable without an rs232 adaptor. It is using the USB port on the computer going directly to the USB port on the back of the radio.

In the function menu I selected the narrow command for all of the bands and all of the band stacking registers. CW is set to 450 hz for all of the CW bands.

Without using any logging software, no matter what band and what band stacking registers I use, the function menu is always in the narrow selection and the BW is always left in the 450 hz selection and it works fine.

Barry
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Please try Omnirig
73 Terry G4POP
ku3x
Novice Class

Post by ku3x »

Just loaded omnirig and tried same. Software could NOT find the radio.
Put the software back to hamlib and the software found the radio.
Still have the problem but the software is more than usable. I can live with this issue if I have to, but it sure would be nice to have the software work 100%.

Barry, KU3X
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

We also just send commands to the Hamlib software which in turn interprets that to Yaesu commands so the issue is not of our making its either a Hamlib problem or something in the Yaesu menus as I said previously.

You could try talking to Hamlib developers but quiet how you would do that with Hamlib being open source I am not sure.

Sorry I can't help you with this one but firstly I don't have a 991 to try and secondly we did not write Hamlib or Omnirig
73 Terry G4POP
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Barry,

If you are still having issues, let me know. I would highly recommend you use OmniRig. Much better results.

Do you have Teamviewer installed for possible tech call?

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
ku3x
Novice Class

Post by ku3x »

I did install omnirig software but Log4OM can't find the radio.
One thing about Kenwood radios is, they use the same commands for things like frequency and mode change on all of their radios. I can tell the software I'm using a TS850SAT when my radio is a TS990S. But when it comes to Yaesu, they don't. Probably the issue is in fact with the radio.

Using Log4OM is great, I really like the software, it's really easy to use and does a lot. This is a minor issue and it's something I can live with.

Thanks all for your help.

Barry, KU3X
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Hi Berry,

FT-991 is supported by Omnirig. If Omnirig can´t find the TRX i think there´s something
wrong with the Rig Setup in Omnirig like Baudrate, Comport or something like this.

Maybe Doug can help you find out what´s wrong with a connection via Teamviewer. I
can´t do due to a vy slow internet connection ...

;) ;)
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
ku3x
Novice Class

Post by ku3x »

I did see on the Omnirig web page where the FT991 is supported. Why it could not find the radio I don't know.
I'll try again and see what happens.
When I tried before, I did exit Log4OM and started it again to make sure everything was loaded. Before I installed Omnirig I could not click on the Omnirig circle and once I installed Omnirig I was able to so I do know it is in fact installed.
Barry