config.xml not human readable

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
s53clado

config.xml not human readable

Post by s53clado »

After some digging I found that on http://www.log4om.com/safe/ it is stated:
Each Log4OM configuration file (except the one that includes your password for external services, which is simply encrypted with Base64 and can be easily decrypted) is easily readable with your notepad and configurable, if required.
That does not seems to be true. For illustration, here is picture of a capture of beginning of config file hex/ASCII dump:
config.png
config.png (34.21 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
I need to be able to read config.xml as text in order to find (for example) where is a *.sqlite log file located and some other stuff like that. Unfortunately that seems to be impossible. Of course I know I can find such info manually, but for a reasons I mention below, that is not practical for me.

My problem is that I am working on a tool which will make possible that my club stations and stations of a number of club members can backup their logs to a server where club data is hosted. In turn the log databases will be accessible online (read only) and some statistics would be run on the data from them. PC knowledge (literacy) varies among potential users from excellent to very bad. So the application I am putting together must be kept very KISS in order to accommodate those with less knowledge, otherwise supporting them would be awkward, time consuming and/or nearly impossible.

So I'd like to find a way to read the config.xml data in order to harvest the info I need, without modifying it.

So, the question is: is it possible to get config in human readable form? Failing that a modification of the program which will prints out the configuration in text file. instead of .pdf file (which is IMHO just fancy useless/unnecessary feature) would be really welcome, I think to many more people than just me.
73, S53C
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: config.xml not human readable

Post by G4POP »

s53clado wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 16:48 So, the question is:
is it possible to get config in human readable form?

No we use this method specifically

Failing that a modification of the program which will prints out the configuration in text file. instead of .pdf file (which is IMHO just fancy useless/unnecessary feature) would be really welcome

We are unlikely to do this in version 1.0 because it's on maintanence only, just bug fixes. Version 2 is another matter.

I think to many more people than just me

You are the only person that has requested this in the 7 years that Log4OM has existed so I don't think "many more people" do want this
73 Terry G4POP