Grid is missing

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
W4EBB
Advanced Class

Grid is missing

Post by W4EBB »

I just worked two new grids but when I reloaded the scan in JTAlert the two grids did not show up.

I looked in the manual and I am thinking that the grid comes from maybe QRZ and it was failing?

Anyway I fixed the grids in the two records but I am wondering:
1) Is something else missing because of this?
2) and is there any way to scan the file and see if other records have missing grids and whatever else?

Thanks
Charlie
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Grid is missing

Post by KI5IO »

Charlie,

Do a search on the forum for grids and you will find a number of threads where this has been discussed in the past year and less.

There have been a couple of options for repair or correction as I vaguely recall. Gray matter is a tad sluggish and I don't recall specifically.

Make sure you are using the most current version of Log4OM as well as JTAlert and be sure all are running with Admin privileges. Be sure the support files for countries and all are the most current as well.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
W4EBB
Advanced Class

Post by W4EBB »

Sorry for the delay in getting back.....

I am on the latest versions of log4om and JTAlert.

Before posting I searched the forum and did not find any posts addressing my questions.

So let me ask again - several QSOs went into the log without grids. Other QSOs had grids (normal).
What failed and as a result of the failure what other data, if any, failed to get posted in addition to grid.

Thanks
Charlie
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Hi Charlie,

Well, this could be due to several things, but should not be serious. If you are logging via JTAlert - which I assume you are, then JTAlert is doing a call lookup. The source of that lookup is controlled by the JTAlert's Settings,Web Service, Online XML Callbooks tab. There you can chose from None, HamQTH.com or QRZ.com. I use HamQTH.com, as it does not require a paid subscription - as does QRZ.com.

Assuming you are also using HamQTH, (if not, suggest you try it), then it could be that the call has no grid listed in HamQTH. Then its just a matter of missing data. To trace, go to HamQTH and enter the call from your log which is missing the grid info. See if its missing there. That also explains why some grids are listed as 4 digits, and some as 6 digit grids - depends on how the DX station set up their HamQTH data.

Or you can use the paid QRZ.com service as an alternative.

For missing grids, simply do a QSO edit in Log4OM and fill in that grid data from WSJTx.

Also, missing grids does not suggest that any of the QSO information from WSJTx is missing. Different source.

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
N6VH
Old Man

Post by N6VH »

Actually, the grid might not come from a lookup. The grid would most likely come from the grid sent by the other station. As an example, I just had a QSO with no lookups enabled, either in JTAlert or Log4OM (WSJT-X doesn't do lookups). The grid the other station sent was logged in Log4OM.

One possibility to the no-grid problem would be that the other station didn't send the grid. It's rare, but it can happen in the case of what WSJT-X considers non-standard calls. Check your wsjt_log.adi and the wsjt.log to see if the grids are listed in the QSO's in question. If they are, then they should have been transferred to Log4OM.