Log4OM and screen resolution

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
G4AON
Old Man

Log4OM and screen resolution

Post by G4AON »

Running several programs on a new laptop, it became apparent that some are not "DPI Aware" and therefore can display poorly. One of these programs is Log4OM, which is "Unaware" of the screen resolution.

Can consideration be given to correcting the display resolution issue with Log4OM so it is Windows display compatible?

The Microsoft Process tool from Sysinternals shows which programs are "Per Monitor Aware" and will display correctly. The tool is located at:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysint ... s-explorer

73 Dave
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Log4OM and screen resolution

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi Dave,
all attempts to make Log4OM DPI aware (per monitor) broken into the split container control, that is definitely not DPI aware and won't resize properly.
In V2 i'm trying to deal with, overriding the user control to make it dpi aware, but at this time i never got a success.
The ideal technology, to the date, is to work with WPF but it has an impressive inefficiency when working with grids containing large data.
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4AON
Old Man

Post by G4AON »

Hi Daniele

I hope the problem can be resolved. Some amateur radio software is fine, some not. It becomes a minor issue with a laptop that has a 396mm (15.6”) diagonal screen and 1920 x 1080 resolution.

73 Dave
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

We're working on that.
Log4OM will perform nicely in Windows 10 per-monitor DPI aware, but this will create troubles on Windows 7, and different issues in Windows 8.1

We must find a compromise, as "per monitor" is not supported on older OS, widely used.
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4AON
Old Man

Post by G4AON »

IW3HMH wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 10:31 We're working on that.
Log4OM will perform nicely in Windows 10 per-monitor DPI aware, but this will create troubles on Windows 7, and different issues in Windows 8.1
We must find a compromise, as "per monitor" is not supported on older OS, widely used.
Except that Windows 7 is obsolete in January and Windows 8.1 isn't far behind. I appreciate you don't want to isolate users of old operating systems, but Win 7 support ends in Jan 2020 and Win 8 Jan 2023. However, Worldwide Win 10 has 60% of the market share, Win 7 31% and Win 8.1 5.5%. So fingers crossed, by next January many of the Win 7 users should have migrated to Win 10, there are very few Win 8.1 users, so I would expect you to concentrate on Win 10 users.

73 Dave (sorry Win 7/8 users)