Loss of CAT Control on TS-590SG

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
N4CQ
Advanced Class

Loss of CAT Control on TS-590SG

Post by N4CQ »

I lost CAT control of the TS 590SG after updating Log4OM to the latest version. All had been working OK. Perhaps just a coincidence.

I have checked the baud setting and ComPort setting in device manager, running Log4OM
and Omnirig as admin, and set control to Omnirig in Log4OM. I have reloaded Log4OM and Omnirig several times, still no result. After looking over the forum most of yesterday and trying the
numerous suggested fixes, I am stumped. On one occasion I was able to get the CAT indicator to go Green, but Omnirig would not load. When I did get it to load, the CAT indicator remained Red.

Running Windows 10

Dave, N4CQ
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Loss of CAT Control on TS-590SG

Post by DF5WW »

Hi Dave,

don´t have a 590 but never have lost any connection after an update to a newer version of
Lof4OM .... But all can be possible ;) ;)

See my CAT and Cluster settings page. Have you checked the Box "Open CAT after program start" ?
Shure that you have installed Log4OM as Administrator ? As i say, anything can be possible and i´ve
forgot also intalling as Administrator in the past.

;) ;)

CAT.png
CAT.png (73.22 KiB) Viewed 5526 times
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
N4CQ
Advanced Class

Post by N4CQ »

Hi Juergen,

Thanks for the reply and info. I believe that my Omnirig screen is set up like your screen, but I will check. I thought the issue was strange since CAT has always worked. I won't be able to check until a few days from now, but I will get back to you. 73

Dave
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Dave,
There have been a lot of occasions with the latest Windows update where the com port drivers were upset, try reinstalling the drivers for your interface and establish that the com ports match
73 Terry G4POP
N4CQ
Advanced Class

Post by N4CQ »

Thanks, Terry
I'll give that idea a try. It will be a few days before I can get back to the station.

Dave
N4CQ
Advanced Class

Post by N4CQ »

I updated Windows and reloaded the drivers. Still no CAT with Omnirig. I did verify that the COM port is working on the 590SG with the KW control program. Not sure what else to do except reload the Log4OM and Omnirig software package.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Are you only using Log4om with Omnirig or is there other radio software operating?
73 Terry G4POP
N4CQ
Advanced Class

Post by N4CQ »

Terry,

Nothing else running with Log4OM and Omnirig. I used the KW CAT program just to see if the 590SG and port on the radio was working. The KW software is disconnected.

Should I try completely removing and reloading Log4OM ? Thanks for your help, Terry

Dave
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

N4CQ wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 14:40 Terry,

Nothing else running with Log4OM and Omnirig. I used the KW CAT program just to see if the 590SG and port on the radio was working. The KW software is disconnected.

Should I try completely removing and reloading Log4OM ? Thanks for your help, Terry

Dave
There is no point in reinstalling Log4OM so dont waste your time.

If I recall the Kenwood software finds the port and baud rate automatically and it is not possible to see what port and baud rate its using, if you can see that information go to item 3 below.

I suspect that there is a miss match of port or baud rate possibly due to windows updates so please do the following if you cant identify the information from the Kenwood Software.

1. Establish exactly which port is connected to your radio by watching the device manager/LPT & Com ports display while unplugging and plugging in the USB cable connected to your radio (Make certain the radio is turned ON when you do this)

2. In the Kenwood radio menus establish what baud rate the radio is set to for CAT control (This is not the data rate) Menu No. 61 (COM port) or 62 (USB port). • The defaults are 9600 bps and 1 stop bit for Menu No. 61 and 115200 bps and 1 stop bit for Menu No. 62.

3. Ensure that Omnirig is using the same com port number identified in 1 above and match the baud rate and stop bits that your radio is set to as in item 2 above.
73 Terry G4POP
N4CQ
Advanced Class

Post by N4CQ »

Terry,

Thanks for the reply. Your suggestions are certainly welcome, and I have already been thru each one on my own. I was set up to use COM 4 (which had been working), but just for the sake of it, I changed the COM port number to 2 and reset Onmirig to COM 2. No change. I even tried COM 20, nothing. I have verified the baud rate - 9600 - (menu 67 for the 590SG) and stop bids are correct on the 590SG and Omnirig. It is puzzling to me that the CAT just quit working one day.

I will also mention that I initiate Log4OM, Onmirig, and Communicator in the Start Menu under Run as Administrator on each program. Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Dave