What does everyone do when they import contest logs?

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

What does everyone do when they import contest logs?

Post by KD0ZV »

So when I contest I use N1MM. I am not a huge contester but try to search and pounce and make about 300 contacts when something of interest is going on.

One of my motivations is "new ones". But the problem is the import is not always bringing the needed country or state. The ARRL 160 contest this weekend is as good example. Did not log states or other DCXX entities.

I realize there is probably no magic fix and not sure its something Log4OM can contend with but was wondering what everyone is doing?

This contest would be impossible as it would be tough to make all the California sections to a single state.

So just asking :)

Rich
kd0zv
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: What does everyone do when they import contest logs?

Post by G4POP »

Its not a case of we dont fetch it it is because N1MM does not record mundane information like country, DXCC, state etc!

So when you do an ADIF import check the box which says 'Update countries in ADIF'

When the N1MM log has been imported in this way go to the QSO manager and check the box 'Enable updates' then select the N1MM QSO's that require updating and click on the 'Update info' button on the top toolbar. This operation may take some time if there are a lot of QSO's because every call sign is being checked with the on-line lookup you use (QRZ, HamQTH etc)

You could save all of this inconvenience if you used the new UDP integration with N1MM (Page 188 of the Log4OM User Guide) whereby you run Log4OM at the same time as N1MM and as you log in N1MM the QSO is sent to Log4OM automatically and updated with the missing information during the QSO being added to your Log4OM logbook.

Clearly we cant update the information if it does not exist on QRZ etc so some QSO's will not have all of the data.
73 Terry G4POP
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KD0ZV »

Thanks Terry

"So when you do an ADIF import check the box which says 'Update countries in ADIF'"

Yes I am doing that, but have to be careful. Worked KH7X who shows up on QRZ as a Hawaii Contest station and the exchange was clearly AZ (Arizona). So when I used the update countries it set it to Hawaii.

When the N1MM log has been imported in this way go to the QSO manager and check the box 'Enable updates' then select the N1MM QSO's that require updating and click on the 'Update info' button on the top toolbar. This operation may take some time if there are a lot of QSO's because every call sign is being checked with the on-line lookup you use (QRZ, HamQTH etc)

I have done this in the past but this particular contest I noticed many contacts that were in other states. I might do this anyway since I did not really gain any states on 160 that I needed on CW.

This is quirky for me often and I have to do this by selecting a few QSOs at a time or it will never finish. I have found that some QSOs are problematic and will hang the whole process. I thought about using the update field option but that does not seem to work for me even if I select only 10 QSOs. It just flat out hangs the machine and after 10 minutes it would not update the 10 QSOs so I cancelled it.

You could save all of this inconvenience if you used the new UDP integration with N1MM (Page 188 of the Log4OM User Guide) whereby you run Log4OM at the same time as N1MM and as you log in N1MM the QSO is sent to Log4OM automatically and updated with the missing information during the QSO being added to your Log4OM logbook.

Yes, you probably dont remember but I helped you beta test that. I have not turned that back on since I did a reformat on the shack PC but might consider that.

I am really not considering this a Log4OM issue. Just asking what my fellow users were doing :)

Thank you

Rich
kd0zv
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by KD0ZV »

PS: I need to read the manual again on the field update.

SRI

Rich
Rich
KD0ZV
Log4OM Alpha Team