How to enter complicated callsigns into Log4OM

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
N5INP
Old Man

How to enter complicated callsigns into Log4OM

Post by N5INP »

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm confused about how to log certain DX station callsigns when the operator is a US ham using a call like this:

PJ2 / K8ND

^^^ I worked this guy this morning. That's how he announced the call and that's how I should write it on the QSL card as I understand it. How are you supposed to enter a callsign like that into Log4OM so it's acceptable for upload to eQSL or LoTW?

Also, what's the difference between these two calls that I have worked -

W8YCM / 6Y5

^^^ that's how it was announced

and

PJ2 / K8ND

^^^ that's how it was announced

Why does one seem reversed from the other? Is one guy making a mistake or do they mean something different?

Thanks.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: How to enter complicated callsigns into Log4OM

Post by G4POP »

Hi ???

You have hit on my pet hate where hams use a prefix as a suffix - correct is 6Y5/W8YCM incorrect is W8YCM/6Y5 :(

However Log4OM will accept the call either way and provide the correct country and DXCC information so just enter it as it was provided by the other station during the QSO
73 Terry G4POP
N5INP
Old Man

Post by N5INP »

G4POP wrote:Hi ???

You have hit on my pet hate where hams use a prefix as a suffix - correct is 6Y5/W8YCM incorrect is W8YCM/6Y5 :(

However Log4OM will accept the call either way and provide the correct country and DXCC information so just enter it as it was provided by the other station during the QSO
Ah OK I figured one was wrong - thanks.

So I would actually enter PJ2/K8ND into Log4OM's callsign field, and eQSl and LoTW will accept them as such? Great!
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

we (Log4OM) deal with both forms of the callsign (good and bad one).
You should use the SAME callsign the user reported in his QSO, because it's probably the one he will use when report the QSO in the LOTW/EQSL system.
In that case you will have a positive match, but it's up to LOTW/EQSL how they manage this kind of calls (i suppose they will eat everything the user sends)

Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
N5INP
Old Man

Post by N5INP »

IW3HMH wrote:we (Log4OM) deal with both forms of the callsign (good and bad one).
You should use the SAME callsign the user reported in his QSO, because it's probably the one he will use when report the QSO in the LOTW/EQSL system.
Good advice thanks. 8-)