Manual QSO Entry

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
N8HO
Novice Class

Manual QSO Entry

Post by N8HO »

I have been using handwritten logs for years. What is the best way to enter these old QSO's into Log4OM?
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Manual QSO Entry

Post by G4POP »

In Log4OM check the manual date and tome check box so that you can enter the correct dates

Ensure that you set Log4OM to correct band, mode and frequency

Start logging
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (31.73 KiB) Viewed 7703 times
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

auto increase will add a predefined amount of time (you can set it) and this time will be used as spacing between QSO.
This is useful for loading logs from outdoor activities with high rate of QSO.

PageUP and PageDown keys will add-remove this block of time, to manage spacing between QSO to respect timings reported on your log
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
DF1LX
Novice Class

Post by DF1LX »

You should use FLE from DF3CB - this is the best for typing old Logs into the PC.

http://www.df3cb.com/fle/

No other program have such a feature as I never found this.

Have fun and with FLE it will be very very quick in comparision to other programs

Peter DF1LX
Greetings and CW for ever

Peter DF1LX

see u on the band
yt9tp
Old Man

Post by yt9tp »

Recently I did WCA activation ans as I was in portable I had to use paper and pen to log QSO's. Later I wanted to enter them in LOg4Om and that was a pain.

Luckily I had just about 80 QSO's to enter so I managed to handle it.

There is a bug in manual time entry: if you change start time it does not adjust end time accordingly so you can end up with very strange QSO duration. My personal preference would be to disable end time field as I do not need it at all.

One of the station info fields that are set automatically and note editable I did not set properly (i think it was antenna info) so I had it wrong in all QSO records. I found that even QSO Archive manager does not allow editing that field, it is not listed in Layout, So I had to open database directly to fix.

After that experience, and as I plan to do lot of portable operatiins I searched if there is something that could do the job, and I found I also found FLS. It seems abit strange, but seems it can do job.

If I get some free time I might do some small application specialized for quick reentering data from paper logs directly into Log4OM.
YT9TP, op. Pedja, QTH Uzice, Serbia, http://www.yt9tp.iz.rs
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

yt9tp wrote:Recently I did WCA activation ans as I was in portable I had to use paper and pen to log QSO's. Later I wanted to enter them in LOg4Om and that was a pain.

Luckily I had just about 80 QSO's to enter so I managed to handle it.

There is a bug in manual time entry: if you change start time it does not adjust end time accordingly so you can end up with very strange QSO duration. My personal preference would be to disable end time field as I do not need it at all.

One of the station info fields that are set automatically and note editable I did not set properly (i think it was antenna info) so I had it wrong in all QSO records. I found that even QSO Archive manager does not allow editing that field, it is not listed in Layout, So I had to open database directly to fix.

After that experience, and as I plan to do lot of portable operatiins I searched if there is something that could do the job, and I found I also found FLS. It seems abit strange, but seems it can do job.

If I get some free time I might do some small application specialized for quick reentering data from paper logs directly into Log4OM.
In manual mode you can use "page up-page down" to increase/decrease timing with the step you can set in the field below date. This will automatically update end time accordingly to the AUTO INCREASE parameter, if set. If not set, the end time will be set equal to start time, while the step is used in every case with pageup and pagedown buttons.
Using this method the end time will be set accordingly to the start time.
This way is very fast, you can lock comment fields and other informations and simply type callsign/pageup/return to add a QSO.
Lately you can fill data from qrz in a massive way in qso management screen

End time is not updated automatically, in manual time mode, because "it's manual".
If you set 09:30:00 in start time with date 25/02/2014 and you leave 09:20:00 in end time, Log4OM automatically will save the end time as inserted, setting end date to 26/02/2014 because end time was before start.

Anyway every suggestion is well accepted
I'll check the ANTENNA field that you report as missing. Thanks for reporting that

Daniele
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

yt9tp wrote:One of the station info fields that are set automatically and note editable I did not set properly (i think it was antenna info) so I had it wrong in all QSO records. I found that even QSO Archive manager does not allow editing that field, it is not listed in Layout, So I had to open database directly to fix.

I don't believe it was an antenna field because there is not an ADIF field for this nor do we have the possibility to display a field for antenna!

Please try to recall exactly which field was not available so that we can correct this issue for you.
73 Terry G4POP
KB4FP
Novice Class

Post by KB4FP »

I entered 97 entries as directed in the manual. All 97 showed up on the recent qso window and at the bottom of the window, log4om recorded that all 97 were there but.... I could not search the list, could not apply the LOTW routines to it and somehow, as I was trying to make sure I was in the correct log file, the entire list disappeared... and I cannot find it again... still searching... no result. Any advice?
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

KB4FP wrote:I entered 97 entries as directed in the manual. All 97 showed up on the recent qso window and at the bottom of the window, log4om recorded that all 97 were there but.... I could not search the list, could not apply the LOTW routines to it and somehow, as I was trying to make sure I was in the correct log file, the entire list disappeared... and I cannot find it again... still searching... no result. Any advice?
Search windows for files ending in .sqlite these will be your logbook files

type the following i the windows search box as follows

*.sqlite (Star Dot SQLite)
73 Terry G4POP
KB4FP
Novice Class

Post by KB4FP »

Thanks Terry... Thought I had some literacy but apparently lacking... at 78 Years..
There are four .sqlite files... none of which have the 97 files in them... I suppose I did not, somehow or the other, manage to employ the file with the 97 QSOs in it... Log4 OM never acted like it recognized there was such a .sqlite file...even though the QSOs were listed in the Recent QSO window!!! Could it have been because I entered the dates wrong in each QSO? I entered the date at mm/dd/yyyy? Guess Ill have to start over and re-enter all those QSOs... (woe is me!) I do appreciate your attention to my problem! 73, Jerry, KB4FP