Alinco DX-77 with Omnirig problem...

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
G5YL
Novice Class

Alinco DX-77 with Omnirig problem...

Post by G5YL »

Hello,

I am trying to set up a friend's Alinco DX-77 to Log4OM, but I am failing and I don't know why..?!!

The only modification to the radio is a bhi DSP add-on, which shouldn't interfere with any of the ports etc.

We have bought an original Alinco ERW-4 cable to connect from the Alico's 'Remote Jack' to the COM1 port on the computer (running Windows 10) and selected Omnirig to use on Log4OM's CAT programming. These settings have been set using Omnirig with the radio's only baud rate of 9600. Omnirig of Log4OM is not seeing the connection.

So, I have tried further by connecting a reverse COM (inverted port thingy!) connection which leads to a USB plug. It finds this on Com Port 5... so I have tried COM5 using omnirig, again connected to the Remote jack, and Log4OM still doesn't read the radio frequencies...

Omnirig on both occasions were programmed into the second rig of the program and I have selected Rig 2.... Rig 1 for my Icom 756 Pro III works fine.

All the drivers are fine... so why am I having a problem with Log4OM reading the Alinco DX-77 using the ERW-4 cable connected from the remote jack to either COM1 or COM5....?

I'm going to try my linux mint laptop now....

Yours, very miffed and head bangingly clueless,

Thank you, best 73 and 88

Krystyna G5YL :-)
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Alinco DX-77 with Omnirig problem...

Post by G4POP »

Ktystyna,
Has the radio ever been connected via CAT to a computer successfully?

Was the CAT cable new or used?

Have you tried a factory reset of the radio?

To ascertain the port the radio is connected to watch the device manager/LOT & COM PORTS window as you connect and disconnect the CAT cable, you will see the port number appear and disappear
73 Terry G4POP
G5YL
Novice Class

Post by G5YL »

Hi Terry,

I do not actually know if it was successfully connected before to a computer. COM1 is always on and availablew, even before I connect the radio, and when I insert the USB plug before the radio is switched on it does show COM5 so I know the Prolific USBto serial lead itself is working.

I've just now tried a factory reset, and gone through all the procedures and the radio still doesn't get read.

I'll open up the radio and just check the 'Remote Jack' and see if there is a soldering or other issue inside the rig.

I just discovered there is no linux version, so I shall experiment with WINE at some point today.

Could there be a problem with the DX77 driver from the perspective of omnirig and log4om I wonder?

Any more thoughts,

Kind regards,

Krystyna G5YL
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Krystyna

Prolific drivers have often caused issues that why most manufacturers reccoment FTDI chips and drivers

It is unusual for com 1 to be used because that's normally commandeered for windows main function and the fact that 5 appears when you connect the cable indicates that is the port to use.

Try using another program that does not use Omnirig like WSJT or N1MM if that does not work either then it's cable or radio issues
73 Terry G4POP
G5YL
Novice Class

Post by G5YL »

Hello Terry,

Thanks for trying to help. In the end decided to return the cable, spoke ot Steve, an engineer at Moonraker who will take hte cable back and just look at it, with a refund via amazon... I only ask the team to just check the log4om driver with omnirig, just in case, has someone else tested it as working on other radios. It could be, as you say, a fault with the radio, but I'm unable to test and see.

Meanwhile... my friend is back to an 817 which works fine with log4om :-)

Kind regards, and thank you again,

Krystyna G5YL
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Hi Krystyna,

have checked a DX-77 manual and don´t found any word about CAT control in it. The only thing i see is
a remote jack at the rear panel for connecting an ERW-4 programming cable on it. In Omnirig the DX-77
is listed so i think you need this ERW-4 to connect CAT. Think also that the PC needs a real RS-232 for
connecting this.
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
G5YL
Novice Class

Post by G5YL »

Hello Juergen,

Thank you. Yes, I have the ERC-4 cable, and it is supposed to be able to read the frequency etc.. Very good point about using a 'real' RS232 on the PC than the COM port that I 'think' is a real one but might not be.... I'd look into that with a PCI card. I have sent the ERC-4 back, so I'll contact Steve at Nevada radio where I bought it and returned it, to ask him to look into that.. Might have to buy it back again.. oh dear... thank you :-)

Regards and 73,

Krystyna G5YL