Old and new callsign - configuration file

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Old and new callsign - configuration file

Post by NN7D »

I've read some posts dealing with using two call signs, but I am still not clear on the best approach in my situation. I am a new user, and this is my first logging program. So far, I like it very much. I have an older call sign which I used decades ago - I've made a configuration file for it. I have my current call sign and a new configuration file. I am manually logging my old QSL cards into Log4OM using the old call sign configuration file. While doing this, I hear some dx and make a QSO. As I understand it, I need to change the configuration file setting under the Settings, Selected Config tab, save the config, then exit the program, restart the program using the current callsign configuration, then log the current QSO. Then to continue logging in my old QSL card, change the config back, save, restart, etc.? Is that correct, or is there a more efficient way to switch between call signs??

Thank you for all your work!

Doug
W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Old and new callsign - configuration file

Post by G4POP »

In this situation I would only use one configuration and just change the station and operator call sign in the Options/Station info window when the DX pops up, it would be much faster than changing logs

Also because you are obviously working through your old logs systematically so there are not any call changes at frequent intervals I would still just use one configuration file and change the station and operator call sign in the Options/Station info window.

This assumes of course that you are saving all entries to a common logbook database

Multiple configurations are really for users that use different calls and logs with different set ups due to location etc

e.g.
Because I am constantly testing new releases and trouble shooting users issues I have a configuration call "TEST" and also one called "G4POP"

My test configuration does not upload any information to external logbooks like Clublog, eQSL etc, is has no address information and uses a test logbook file, this way I don't corrupt my real logbook or the online records for that
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Another solution can be using a "portable" configuration, installed somewhere on your PC, and use this one for loading old data, and the installed one for "running" data.
When you have completed the load of old QSO you can export them in ADIF and import back on your main log (if you need this)

Daniele
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

G4POP wrote:In this situation I would only use one configuration and just change the station and operator call sign in the Options/Station info window when the DX pops up, it would be much faster than changing logs

Also because you are obviously working through your old logs systematically so there are not any call changes at frequent intervals I would still just use one configuration file and change the station and operator call sign in the Options/Station info window.

This assumes of course that you are saving all entries to a common logbook database

Multiple configurations are really for users that use different calls and logs with different set ups due to location etc

e.g.
Because I am constantly testing new releases and trouble shooting users issues I have a configuration call "TEST" and also one called "G4POP"

My test configuration does not upload any information to external logbooks like Clublog, eQSL etc, is has no address information and uses a test logbook file, this way I don't corrupt my real logbook or the online records for that
Thank you Terry for the quick response. I understand the approach, but now that I have created two different configurations with data in each, how can I get them all back into one, or does it matter? Both are using the same database, and I can see all the QSO's together in the "Recent QSO" display.

Thanks much. Great software - I can appreciate that - I wrote and ran a software design division for many years.
73's,
Doug
W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

IW3HMH wrote:Another solution can be using a "portable" configuration, installed somewhere on your PC, and use this one for loading old data, and the installed one for "running" data.
When you have completed the load of old QSO you can export them in ADIF and import back on your main log (if you need this)

Daniele
Daniele - that makes sense. I think I will do that - install another copy on my laptop and use it for catching up with old QSL cards. Then use the "main" copy of Log4OM on my desktop for current ops.

Thanks much!

Doug
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Thank you Terry for the quick response. I understand the approach, but now that I have created two different configurations with data in each, how can I get them all back into one, or does it matter? Both are using the same database, and I can see all the QSO's together in the "Recent QSO" display.
As you are using the same database it doesn't matter, just continue to use one of the configs
73 Terry G4POP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

W7DRM wrote:
IW3HMH wrote:Another solution can be using a "portable" configuration, installed somewhere on your PC, and use this one for loading old data, and the installed one for "running" data.

Daniele
Daniele - that makes sense. I think I will do that - install another copy on my laptop and use it for catching up with old QSL cards. Then use the "main" copy of Log4OM on my desktop for current ops.

Thanks much!

Doug

Why not use your laptop as you suggest but use a common database saved in Dropbox, see the user guide for details
73 Terry G4POP
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Thanks Terry and Daniele. I will combine for now and use current config. Then install another version on my laptop, which will be handy when I do portable operations.

Thanks for such a terrific product!

73's
Doug
W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA