Log4OM will not run but system says it running

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
W5KAP
Novice Class

Log4OM will not run but system says it running

Post by W5KAP »

Folks, I am running Log4OM (Version 1.?) on a Dell laptop. Iv'e been using it almost a year with no problems. In fact, I used this morning and encountered no problems. When I shut it down, it appeared to shut down correctly. Tonight when I started it up, It took forever to load and never did show me the screen. So I tried to start it again and got the following dialog box:

Application is still running
Log4OMUI Started at 08:09:03 PM
Log4OMUI Started at 08:20:01 PM ( This because I tried starting the Application a second time. Then I get the same dialog box.

I've tried shutting down my computer a couple of times and then restarting it. No Joy. Same problem. Has anyone encountered this before, and if so, how do I fix it.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

73 de Kenn W5KAP
KI5IO
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Log4OM will not run but system says it running

Post by KI5IO »

W5KAP wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 01:43 Folks, I am running Log4OM (Version 1.?) on a Dell laptop. Iv'e been using it almost a year with no problems. In fact, I used this morning and encountered no problems. When I shut it down, it appeared to shut down correctly. Tonight when I started it up, It took forever to load and never did show me the screen. So I tried to start it again and got the following dialog box:

Application is still running
Log4OMUI Started at 08:09:03 PM
Log4OMUI Started at 08:20:01 PM ( This because I tried starting the Application a second time. Then I get the same dialog box.

I've tried shutting down my computer a couple of times and then restarting it. No Joy. Same problem. Has anyone encountered this before, and if so, how do I fix it.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

73 de Kenn W5KAP
Kenn,

Likely need to open Task Manager and then select the Log4OM processes running and also you may have multiple Communicator processes running. Select those processes and shut them down.

Have you done a good backup of your log iin Log4OM V1? You should export it to an ADIF v3 level. Then download and install the new Log4OM V2 and get things set up there.

No further maintenance or features being done to V1 anymore. Focus is on V2.
73 - Nolan Kienitz - KI5IO
Plano, TX
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

W5KAP

Please dont post duplicate topics, I have deleted the other one and I am moving this to the version 1 aerea
73 Terry G4POP
W5KAP
Novice Class

Post by W5KAP »

Terry, very sorry about that. I hadn't posted in some time and I forgot that it takes time for the post to show. It won't happen again you can be sure.

Best of 73 de Kenn W5KAP
W5KAP
Novice Class

Post by W5KAP »

Terry here is a copy of what I sent to Nolan concerning my dilema.

Nolan, thanks for answering my note. I apologize in advance for answering via message but I could not find a "reply" button for your comment. OK I tried that but there is nothing having to do with Log4OM showing in the Task Manager. Only thing running is Dimension, which is my time program. This logger was working just fine in the morning last week and when I returned after lunch it exhibited the problems I mentioned. I just tried again and I'm getting the same result. Nothing shows up on screen at all andf if I try to restart the program I get the dialog box that states "Application is already running. Continue?
"Log4OMUI started at (time)"
Nothing shows up in Task Manager at all. Here is a though I export my log to ClubLog each time Log4OM closes. I assume then that I could do and ADIF Build from ClubLog. Remove Log4OM from my machine. Then reload Version 1.? and load the ADIF File. Then I could build an ADIF 3 file and once more remove Log4OM Version 1. and load version 2. Does this sound feasible?. Once again, thanks for your thoughts.

73 de Kenn W5KAP in New Braunfels, TX PS I've seen your FT-8 signal on the air before!!

Deoes this seem doable. Do you have any other thoughts on what might have gone wrong. I've got over 40 years of QSO's in there. Can I just save the .sqlite file then remove Log4OM and reload it then replace the .sqlite file? Or is my idea of doing an ADIF Build from either ClubLog or QRZ and removing version1 and reloading it then load the adif file?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Cheers, Kenn W5KAP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

The SQLite file should be OK just save it as a backup.

Downloading ADIFs from on line logs will probably not restore all of your data just the basics

Did you not have Log4OM doing automatic backups?
73 Terry G4POP
W5KAP
Novice Class

Post by W5KAP »

Terry, thanks for the thoughts. Yes i have it doing auto back-ups every time it shuts down. But it does NOT come up for me to do anything. I see the spinning disc indicting its loading but nothing at all happens. It Sqlite file out and save it on my desktop, then blow away version 1 and load version two. Then replace the .sqlite file. I thought, in looking at Version 2 user manual, that version 2 does not use .Sqlite ? If I could get the program up, I'd create an ADIF to save on my desk top then blow away version 1 and load version 2. It's frustrating because I know what I have to do but it requires Version one to be up and running and it's not .

Thanks in advance

Kenn W5KAP
W5KAP
Novice Class

Post by W5KAP »

Terry, OK I went back into Task Manager and this time I looked at the Processes Tab and it showed three instances of Log4OM running. I ended the task for all three of them then tried loading the program again. Nothing happens on my screen. I went back n the same tab and sure enough, it showed as running but once again nothing on my screen.

Kenn W5KAP
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

If you had version 1 making backups then all that you need to do is instal v2, create a database and import the version 1 ADIF backup file
73 Terry G4POP
W5KAP
Novice Class

Post by W5KAP »

OK I'll try that. Where would the ADIF File be located? I'm sorry to be such a pest it's just very frustrating. Now before I say anything, I think it is only backing up the database when I shut it down. I'm assuming that does'nt count (insert smiley face here). I have an ADIF file from the end of June so that will work. Am I correct in saying Version two will allow and import of an ADIF file from version 1?

Thank you again

Kenn W5KAP