US Letter-size labels

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
k3dcw
Advanced Class

US Letter-size labels

Post by k3dcw »

Hello all,

I'm trying to finally get my label printing setup and am having a bit of trouble on the final tweaks. I've had to create a custom page size to match US Letter (converting from inches to cm along the way), and I've got the layout tweaked, but not quite right.

Is there anyone using US Letter-sized labels, preferably the 5163/8163 series by Avery? If so, could you share you settings for good print on US letter-sized pages?

I feel like I should be able to figure this out, but I'm not quite there yet...any advice will be appreciated.

Dave
K3DCW
K3DCW
Elecraft K3
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: US Letter-size labels

Post by G4POP »

What problem are you having?

Positioning,
Size,
Or what?
73 Terry G4POP
k3dcw
Advanced Class

Post by k3dcw »

Mostly positioning...the first few lines come out ok, but as you go down the page them begin to cross over label edges. Not sure about the exact cause.

Having only the A4 paper size (I know, EU standard) to work from wasn't too bad; I just converted the measurements from US Letter inches to cm (width 21.6, length 27.9) and saved as my own Label Name ...that was fairly easy. I believe the problem is with the "corrective factor" fields, but I'm not sure exactly what they represent. I've been experimenting a bit, but nothing seems to let everything line up just right.

I thought that someone else may have tackled this from the US side, but perhaps not.

Dave
K3DCW
K3DCW
Elecraft K3
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi Dave, this is related to your printer settings and embedded fonts. In the sheet definition you can see a section for adding custom corrections. Try adding some decimals in vertical with proportional flag and try working with these parameters.
To show how it works set an elevated number at first time and see how labels will move in the pdf, later matching the real paper size when printed
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Hi Dave,

I am using Avery 8160 labels and have label printing working well. It took a bit of fussing to get alignment right in my printer parameters, but it works fine now. I am using a Brothers MFC-J430W printer. Here are my settings:

1. Under QSL tools on the main menu, Label design dialog, Label name pull down set at Avery 8160. I have top margin (on the left side of dialog) set at 0.7 (this was the main thing I had to adjust to get the vertical spacing to work. Left and right margin set at 0.0 - which I believe are default. Everything else set to default settings. You can do a test from that page, but I found the test to be using a smaller font than what I use, so not sure it is too useful. Make sure you save your setting before exiting! You may also have to play around with the Corrective factors in the lower right of this dialog, if you have label creep - that is spacing starts to vary as they print down the sheet.

2. Under Label Management, Label Print, which opens Label Management dialog, when you get to the Print tab, I have fonts set at Base font = 8, and Address font set at 13. Be sure to select Avery 8160 on that dialog also!

3. On the next dialog, which is from your pdf print routine, in my case I am using Foxit pdf software, I have the print settings under Print Handling set to Scale, and under Scale, I have Reduce to Printer Margins selected. These settings will affect how your labels print, and could be the source of your problems.

These setting work for me, hopefully they will help you, but due to difference in printers and your pdf viewer/printer, "your mileage my vary"!

Cheers!

Doug
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Doug,
You could upload the label setup to the forum or let us have it and we will include it in the next release

It's in your roaming/LogOM/labels folder
73 Terry G4POP
k3dcw
Advanced Class

Post by k3dcw »

Doug,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Thanks for the information and the guide on how it is working for you. I'll give it a good run-through this weekend.

Thanks again!

Dave
K3DCW
W7DRM wrote:Hi Dave,

I am using Avery 8160 labels and have label printing working well. It took a bit of fussing to get alignment right in my printer parameters, but it works fine now. I am using a Brothers MFC-J430W printer. Here are my settings:

1. Under QSL tools on the main menu, Label design dialog, Label name pull down set at Avery 8160. I have top margin (on the left side of dialog) set at 0.7 (this was the main thing I had to adjust to get the vertical spacing to work. Left and right margin set at 0.0 - which I believe are default. Everything else set to default settings. You can do a test from that page, but I found the test to be using a smaller font than what I use, so not sure it is too useful. Make sure you save your setting before exiting! You may also have to play around with the Corrective factors in the lower right of this dialog, if you have label creep - that is spacing starts to vary as they print down the sheet.

2. Under Label Management, Label Print, which opens Label Management dialog, when you get to the Print tab, I have fonts set at Base font = 8, and Address font set at 13. Be sure to select Avery 8160 on that dialog also!

3. On the next dialog, which is from your pdf print routine, in my case I am using Foxit pdf software, I have the print settings under Print Handling set to Scale, and under Scale, I have Reduce to Printer Margins selected. These settings will affect how your labels print, and could be the source of your problems.

These setting work for me, hopefully they will help you, but due to difference in printers and your pdf viewer/printer, "your mileage my vary"!

Cheers!

Doug
K3DCW
Elecraft K3