HK0 = United States !!

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
G3ZSS
Old Man

HK0 = United States !!

Post by G3ZSS »

I am seeing cluster spots today for HK0/N7UN and it shows the country as "United States". We really do need some kind of user defined SCL so as to be able to correct these spots while waiting for the official SCL list to be updated?
73 Peter G3ZSS
K7PT
Old Man

Re: HK0 = United States !!

Post by K7PT »

The official call for this Dxpedition is 5J0X. The HK0/N7UN is a member using his call.

Re-download the SCL for the update.

N7UN may have used his home call before the 5J0X operation. The HK0/N7UN has no start/end date so is not in the SCL. :)
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

user SCL makes no sense imho...
if you contact a station and you know this station is somewhere else from the place Log4OM suppose to be, just change it...
If you know about an activation that is not in the SCL, just mail our SCL Manager to allow him to add the call in the SCL
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G3ZSS
Old Man

Post by G3ZSS »

My biggest reason for wanting a user defined SCL is more focussed on stations in the USA. I have discussed this before with Chuck but he does not have the time to enter all the USA stations using their old callsigns when operating from elsewhere in the USA. A classic example is NL7XM/B which is a Six Metre beacon in Pensylvania. The number of spots for this beacon in the summer months drives me crazy, as my alerts think that I have a "new one" on the band from Alaska. We need a way to recognise these callsigns if Chuck will not put them in his SCL file.
73 Peter G3ZSS
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

I take issue with the last sentence of the prior post and believe the comment to be unfair. Sorry! :(

It's not a matter if I want to or not. I have no idea who is where in this case and there is no way of me knowing.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of U.S. amateurs not living in the call area of their call (WP4s, KL7s, AH0s, KH6s, KH8s etc.). You also have 1X1 calls (special event station calls, i.e. W1K, K7T, etc.) that can used anywhere in the U.S. or it's possessions on a short basis to be used again in a different location and on-and-on.

It's not manageable on my part.

What your asking for is the entire U.S. call book to be gone through and try to determine where the guy is now.

In the case of the HK0/N7UN, there was not an announcement anywhere, to my knowledge, that he would be operating using his home call prior to the 5J0X operation.

Chuck-K7PT
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

I agree with Daniele and Chuck,

user defined SCL makes no sense. Each user can do what he want and all is different ?? We have the SCL made by Chuck and if there´s a problem we can ask him. With user defined SCL we have much more problems then we have now.

U.S hams outside of the call area are impossible to manage. For this we have QRZ and/or Hamqth ..... the only reason ist that all hams have to update their data to an actual stand.

Sorry for my english ... hope all know what i mean :oops:
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
G3ZSS
Old Man

Post by G3ZSS »

I am not after Chuck adding the whole FCC call database to the SCL file, but the problem would be solved if some calls can be added to SCL such as NL7XM in PA? We need a way to reasonably accept these types of requests.
73 Peter G3ZSS
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

G3ZSS wrote:My biggest reason for wanting a user defined SCL is more focussed on stations in the USA. I have discussed this before with Chuck but he does not have the time to enter all the USA stations using their old callsigns when operating from elsewhere in the USA. A classic example is NL7XM/B which is a Six Metre beacon in Pensylvania. The number of spots for this beacon in the summer months drives me crazy, as my alerts think that I have a "new one" on the band from Alaska. We need a way to recognise these callsigns if Chuck will not put them in his SCL file.
I am entering this discussion late so I hope that I understand the conversation.

With regard to the HK0/ call it is not a DXpedition as such just a guy operating from a different location and therefore is not listed in the SCL or in the Clublog Exceptions list. If the ham does not update QRZ or HamQTH the information will not be correct and needs updating by the Log4OM user.

You could try disabling QRZ lookup and try HamQTH because it is possible that he is either updated HAmQTH or is not listed there, in either case the program will assume the prefix as preference instead of the lookup

With regard to the annoying beacon spots I just exclude them by sending a 'don't accept these calls filter' to the cluster that I use, then they never arrive until I clear the cluster filter.

Incidentally there are also spotters that annoy me and I have added filters to not accept spots from XYZ spotter
73 Terry G4POP
ik2egl
Old Man

Post by ik2egl »

there is also the another approach (adopted by other (old) logging sw) to make visible a prefix /country table .

the country table is provided filled by defalult in the istallation and can be edited or checked with other country files by the user

the table permit to verify the country data that the log will use:

in the old dx4win the country table can be edited only
in the newer commcat the country table can be edited and aligned with ad1c country table file

Actually in log4om there is no user visibility of the country table and the online gathering data approach is used.

a mix approach could be evaluated
Last edited by ik2egl on 04 Apr 2014, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
73 de Don IK2EGL
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

The subject of this issue is not related to the Country file that I maintain and is not made to be edited for good reason. That being, if we allowed users to edit the file, it would not be long before we would have many different versions and when problems arose, it would be very difficult to help users resolve the issue.

If there are any issues with the Country file, users can email me or post it on this forum and the appropriate action will be taken promptly. 8-)