Merge ADIF

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
W1RET
Novice Class

Merge ADIF

Post by W1RET »

A question about merging logs.

The Users Manual (page 86) discusses the ability to import an ADIF file without creating duplicates. I'm not sure how this works.

I have about 2 months of QSO's in my old log I would like to merge. The exported ADIF file I created also contains the QSO's that are already in the LOG4OM log. Do I select Merge ADIF and point it to the ADIF file I want to merge? I've tried that with no success.

Thanks.

Jim W1RET
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Merge ADIF

Post by G4POP »

Merge ADIF

This is for updating existing QSO's from an ADIF file

e.g.
You have Log4OM on the shack computer and also on a laptop - Both with exactly the same number of identical QSO's

You update the QSL status on the laptop for 150 QSO's, you sent and received loads of cards!

Now you want to update the shack log with this new QSL data that is only on the laptop

You take an ADIF file from the laptop and then using the merge facility in the shacks log you merge in the laptop ADIF

Now all QSO's have identical matching QSL status information - It just updated the different data for the QSO's although they were the same QSO's it did not make duplicates.

Now look at another scenario......

You have a shack computer and a laptop with identical QSO data on both (14,000 QSO's on both) - you take your laptop on your Yacht and work 500 Stations while /MM

When you get home your laptop has 500 extra QSO's on it (14500 QSO's)

You take an ADIF from the laptop and 'Import' it into the shack computer

The first 14,000 QSO's are duplicates so Log4OM ignores them

When the import reaches the first of the new QSO's is finds that they are not duplicates so it imports just these last 500 QSO's

Now both the shack and the laptop computers have the same number of QSO's (14,500)

Dont forget that you should always make a backup of your log before importing or merging!
73 Terry G4POP
W1RET
Novice Class

Post by W1RET »

Terry,

Thank you. Your explanation was perfect! The second scenario was the one I needed and it worked fine. I was concerned that I may end up with a bunch of duplicates but now I understand that they are ignored.

Jim W1RET
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Another satisfied customer!
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Another scenario is you have a QSL manager that takes care of a bunch of QSO (exported in ADIF) and will return back the updated ADIF with all QSL_SENT date updated.
Your main log is "running ahead" but you can massively update your log using the one provided by the manager.
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
oe3ide
Advanced Class

Post by oe3ide »

Hi,
was there recently a change on the merge-function?
Today I noticed this behaviour:
1) marked the QSOs from icoming QSL-Cards with Sent "Q" and Rcvd "Y"
2) exported these QSOs to Adif (selection Sent="Q") (see sample file QSL_EXPORT_SENT_Q_REC_Y.adi)
3) Processed the QSOs with external software (I use quickqsl since 3 years).. set SENT=Y
4) exported the QSOs (see sample file QSL_EXPORT_SENT_Y.adi)
5) merged this adif into Log4OM

=> unexpected result: All re-imported QSO have Rrvd=N (so I lost all the manually entered "Y" in the Rcvd-Field) ... Normally all fields which are not in the merge-adif, shouldnt change...

73 Ernst

Ps. renamed the files to .txt, because .adi was not possible to upload here....
Attachments
QSL_EXPORT_SENT_Y.txt
(352 Bytes) Downloaded 203 times
QSL_EXPORT_SENT_Q_REC_Y.txt
(1.95 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

No change has been made to Log4OM in this respect but it seems the other program has reset this field
73 Terry G4POP
oe3ide
Advanced Class

Post by oe3ide »

Thats the content of the "return"-file:

Code: Select all

<ADIF_VERS:5>3.0.4 <PROGRAMID:17>QuickQSL de OE4HDS <PROGRAMVERSION:5>1.7.8 <eoh>
<CALL:4>W1ZY <QSLMSG:22>Thank You! 73 de Ernst <ADDRESS:70>706 Succotash Road <CRLF>Wakefield <CRLF>Ri, 02879 <CRLF>United States <QSO_DATE:8>20190309 <TIME_ON:6>222136 <TIME_OFF:6>222347 <BAND:3>40m <FREQ:5>7.160 <MODE:3>SSB <QSL_SENT:1>Y  <QSLSDATE:8>20190310 <EOR>

I cannot see any information for QSL_RCVD... so it must happen on the merge-process..
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

But that does not include the QSLRCVD = y or n field whereas if you check the ADIF exported from Log4OM you will find that does

The qslmsg message field is not the confirmation field
73 Terry G4POP
oe3ide
Advanced Class

Post by oe3ide »

Ok, so all fields, that are not available in the "return"-adif will be cleared/set to default?

That would be very strange... I thought "merge" means:
* find the entry (QSO)
* check the available fields from the "return"-adif
* if field (value) changed => update db
* if field (value) unchanged => keep stored value in db
* if field missing => keep stored value in db

I use this procedure since more than 2 years... never had a problem to re-import the adif from the qsl-print-program (which is unchanged since > 2y)
Last edited by oe3ide on 10 Mar 2019, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.