CW REV

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
W2LJ
Novice Class

CW REV

Post by W2LJ »

I have Log4OM up and working pretty well. I have noticed one thing though, and I am wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or a similar one. I have the latest release of Log4OM that I am using on a laptop with Windows XP. I am using OmniRig and an Elecraft KX3.

When I open up the DXCluster and click on a DX station, the KX3 dutifully goes to the desired frequency, but when it gets there, it is in CW REV mode. I have to manually hit the mode switch to get it into the normal CW mode. Has anyone else reported this? I would think that it's probably an issue with OmniRig and not Log4OM, but was wondering if I missed something in a setup setting or something?

Larry W2LJ
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: CW REV

Post by IW3HMH »

We have had another request on that argument here:
http://www.pisto.it/forum/viewtopic.php ... W+REV#p559

I don't know why Omnirig works that way, i think we can search online for a solution, because Omnirig is widely supported and well known.
As far as i know CW-REV is USB, while CW is LSB. What is the frequency where you have your rig tuned when does this kind of behaviour?
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
W2LJ
Novice Class

Post by W2LJ »

Thank you Daniele!

Yesterday for instance, I was on 18.078 MHz (CW) yesterday and I saw a station on 20 Meters, approximately 14.023 MHz, if I remember correctly. I clicked on the frequency and my KX3 went exactly where I had wanted it to go, but when it got there, the indicator on my KX3 had changed from CW to CW REV. It wasn't a big deal to reach over and change it manually, but if there was a fix for that, it would be nice!

To be honest with you, I have not tried to if the same thing happens when clicking on another station within the same band. Tonight when I get home, I will experiment to see if the same thing happens within the same band.
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Log4OM uses a file to define bandplan (following your region).
This file is contained in the ROAMING folder (you can see this folder using HELP menu, last item)

in this folder there are 3 files called bandplan_R1, R2 and R3 (one for each region)
In the file you can see, for each chunk of band, how Log4OM should work.
Please try checking if the band plan in CW area of your region is USB or LSB and, in case, try changing it to the opposite value (USB-> LSB), restart and check if it works for you

thanks, unfortunately i don't have a K3 to test and... i'm not skilled in CW :)

Daniele IW3HMH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

I had these issues before with Elecraft and had to provide a modified Omnirig Rig ini file

The region 2 band plan shows USB correctly but there is a setting in the K3 and KX3 that causes the MD command to be interpreted as CW reverse
73 Terry G4POP
W2LJ
Novice Class

Post by W2LJ »

Thanks Terry and Daniele!

I fixed the issue by going into the K3 configuration file in OmniRig. The Command for CW-U was MD7 and the Command for CW-L was MD3. I flipped them, saved the file, restarted everything and now it works fine.

73 de Larry W2LJ
VK4CMV
New user

Post by VK4CMV »

Hello to all - every now and then I emerge from the world of HRD to take a look at Log4OM and I noticed this thread. So I thought I'd register :) - nice to see familiar callsigns.

I use a K3 here and was absolutely horrified when I found out that "CW" meant Lower Sideband CW and you had to use CW-R for CW that is USB based.

Two CW stations which are netted to each other, one with a rig that is configured as USB CW and the other as LSB CW will produce a signal that shows as the same frequency on their respective dials and will sound the same to an external observer. There are no apparent issues here.

So why was I horrified? ... well, the answer lies in my use of the DM780 waterfall, which is configured for USB data signals (even RTTY). It becomes very difficult to net automatically onto a CW signal if your rig is set up as CW-LSB - try it, it's like playing whack-a-mouse!

Needless to say, my K3 is configured as CW-REV on all bands - (I don't know any way of switching CW to mean CW USB in the K3 itself).

So ... going back to the original question about the KX3 (which looks like it has inherited the same default CW sideband as the K3) - it may be that someone who was programming with Omnirig decided to make the K(X)3 always go into USB mode so that any attached waterfall based program will work correctly.

My advice to anyone using the K3 or KX3 for CW and uses waterfall based programs for netting or QSYing - put the rig into CW REV.

But this isn't a logbook issue, it's a radio control issue - so apologies for stealing the forum's bandwidth. Back to looking at solutions.

cheers, Julian
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

Hey Julian,
Nice to hear you again. Cheers and welcome.

Chuck-K7PT
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"
VK4CMV
New user

Post by VK4CMV »

K7PT wrote:Hey Julian,
Nice to hear you again. Cheers and welcome.

Chuck-K7PT
Hi Chuck - thanks for that - this forum has a good positive feel to it.

Will make a proper effort to move my stuff over to Log4OM and see where I get to,

73 Julian
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Just ask if you need support :)