CAT control with IC-7600

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

CAT control with IC-7600

Post by NN7D »

Well, new rig and new problems. It was very simple to connect my IC-751 using a serial cable for CAT control with Log4OM. Now trying to use a USB cable on my new IC-7600 and am lost. I downloaded the USB driver for windows 7 from ICOM, but it does not seem to do anything. So the question is - do I need additional software to make OmniRig use one of my USB ports as a com port? I've looked in the device manager and see no clues. Any hints or help would be appreciated.

Update: I found instructions on the ICOM website for installing the driver. Uninstalled and re-installed the driver per instructions and now see the driver in the Win 7 Device Manager/Ports section - Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM3).

But still no joy on CAT. I can change back to my IC-751 and it connects and Log4OM reads out the frequency and response to changes both ways. But when I change OMNIRig to Com3, IC-7600 and all the parameters match, nothing. Cat status remains Red, and no freq readout. Have restarted everything several times.

Note: In Device Manager - the Silicon Labs USB to UART bridge port goes away when I turn off the IC-7600, and reappears when I turn it on, so it appears the driver is working properly.

Update 2: I turned on debugging, shut down Log4OM and restarted, then checked the log. Here are the results for OmniRig:

2014-05-02 20:08:56.7051 DEBUG: <>c__DisplayClass1: Cluster polled for inactivity answered as expected
2014-05-02 20:09:10.4169 INFO: Log4OMMainWindow: *Calling CAT MANAGEMENT FORM (OMNIRIG)*
2014-05-02 20:09:10.4189 INFO: OmniRigManagement: Showing OmniRig
2014-05-02 20:09:32.9162 INFO: OmniRigSinkClass: Omnirig status NOT RESPONDING for rig 1(2)
2014-05-02 20:09:32.9192 INFO: OmniRigSinkClass: Omnirig status NOT RESPONDING for rig 1(3)
2014-05-02 20:09:32.9202 INFO: OmniRigSinkClass: Omnirig status NOT RESPONDING for rig 1(4)

Well, that confirms it is not working! Now to figure out why OmniRig is not responding...

Something else that is weird. Every time I shut down the Icom 7600 and restart it, Windows says it installing the USB to UARD software again and assigns it to a higher com port. Now up to 6. I can force it back to 3, but not sure why this is behaving like this. Love com ports!

BTW, I found a handy USB port troubleshooting tool - called USBDeview. It allow you do kill a USB port that is just hanging around.

Here are my OmniRig settings. They match up with the 7600.
OmniRigSettings.jpg
OmniRigSettings.jpg (19.68 KiB) Viewed 10177 times
Will play with it some more.

Thanks!

Doug
W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: CAT control with IC-7600

Post by G4POP »

Hi Doug,
If the icom virtual port is going to change number everytime you restart the rig this will cause problems with any software but I have not heard of this before.

I believe there is a menu setting in the rig to define if CAT control is from the USB or the remote socket, you might check that out.
73 Terry G4POP
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Hi Terry,

Yes, there is a setting, which is described by other users, NOT BY ICOM... I have set those settings to use USB, but with ICOM silent on the issue, and control still not working, I am not entirely confident in them.

I also installed FLRig and tested it, as it does not use OmniRig. No go either, so I think it is something to do with the rig. I've tried two different USB cables, several different physical USB ports, different Com ports - no dice. Unfortunately its the weekend and will have to wait until Monday to get in touch with ICOM tech support.

If you think of anything else to try, let me know. I'm running out of ideas and hours... :(

Thanks for the help.

Doug
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Doug,
First please remember that everytime you plug the cable into a different USB port the com port number will change and the Silicon labs driver will reinstall - Stick to one port, identify it's com port number

These issues are always caused by a mismatch of information, rarely a hardware problem.

So check again that

1. you have the correct com port number selected in Omnirig
2. Check the baud rate is the same in Omnirig as that set in the rig menu
3. Having made certain that 1&2 above are correct try restarting Log4om

If all else fails Skype me this evening or tomorrow before 10.00 hrs GMT
73 Terry G4POP
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Hi Terry,

Good news, I got it working. It was a setting in the rig. I had followed instructions provided by a third party on the internet on how to set the IC-7600 for cat control, which proved to be incorrect. I had USB Serial Function set to Decode, rather than CI-V. It now works well! I am again a happy camper.

Thanks!

Doug
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

YEH! Another happy camper!
73 Terry G4POP
F1SMV
Advanced Class

Post by F1SMV »

Hi Doug and Terry
i readed your post..i have same tx and same prob hi..omnirig is ok but impossible to run both digital master or other soft to work in digi..have your try and finded a soluce ?

73 Eric
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

F1SMV wrote:Hi Doug and Terry
i readed your post..i have same tx and same prob hi..omnirig is ok but impossible to run both digital master or other soft to work in digi..have your try and finded a soluce ?

73 Eric
Please provide more detail about your problem. "impossible to run both digital master or other soft to work in divi" conveys nothing to me!

Is it that there is no frequency control, waterfall, decoding - What exactly is "Impossible"?
73 Terry G4POP
F1SMV
Advanced Class

Post by F1SMV »

gm

ok i explain : my cat is ok through omnirig (icom 7600 plug in usb) , dm780 is ok in setting2, opened in same time that log4me -rx is ok i have waterfall-, so i followed manual page 154/155 to run both dm780 and log4me, but no window opened after i click autostart , start, save ..so i havnt a tx...

screen copy on
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oh0p4kbazyufk5r/log4me.gif

any idea ?

73 eric
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

It seems your WCF connection is not fully established, but this should not be an issue, because DM780 communicates through TCP to Communicator, and since 1.17 the whole communication between log4om and communicator itself is made by TCP.
Anyway it's a strange "syntoms" that could hide something.
Are you running Log4OM as administrator?
Can you check in the log file (Log4OM and Communicator have 2 different log files) for errors?
Log files can be found in the folder you can open from Log4OM help menu

Daniele
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH