No longer "connecting" to cluster

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
G8AJM
Advanced Class

No longer "connecting" to cluster

Post by G8AJM »

I have 2 installations of Log4OM; one on my main desktop PC and one on my laptop. They both access the db in Dropbox. This has worked well for a long time but recently I have received the message "Not connected" after a long delay at start-up. This is on both PCs. The program works fine in that mode for normal logging, but there is no cluster information.

Yesterday I updated to latest version which installed without any problems but the same thing happens; no cluster info.

Is there an issue with the cluster or have I broken something?

Grateful for any guidance.

Thanks
Chris G8AJM
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: No longer "connecting" to cluster

Post by G4POP »

The not connected message refers to the DX Cluster connection - Try another cluster

Utilities/Cluster/Connection (F3)

This happens when a cluster in not working, we check the cluster is alive at regular intervals by sending a message to the cluster if we don't get a response we disconnect the cluster and tell you "Not connected"
73 Terry G4POP
G8AJM
Advanced Class

Post by G8AJM »

Thank you Terry, I guess that means it could come back again. I'll leave it for a bit to see if that is the case, if not I'll go for another one.

73 Chris
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Try GB7MBC its a UK cluster that is fairly reliable
73 Terry G4POP
G8AJM
Advanced Class

Post by G8AJM »

Perfect!

Many thanks
Chris
KD8CJ
Novice Class

Post by KD8CJ »

G8AJM wrote:I have 2 installations of Log4OM; one on my main desktop PC and one on my laptop. They both access the db in Dropbox. This has worked well for a long time but recently I have received the message "Not connected" after a long delay at start-up. This is on both PCs. The program works fine in that mode for normal logging, but there is no cluster information.

Yesterday I updated to latest version which installed without any problems but the same thing happens; no cluster info.

Is there an issue with the cluster or have I broken something?

Grateful for any guidance.

Thanks
Chris G8AJM
Have had the same problem here for last couple days. I changed cluster to ve7cc.net:23 like KD2EWO mentioned in another post , all is working now. I don't know which cluster is better ? Been following W1AW past few months and the old cluster worked great for that and also DXCC chasing. Can any one recommend the best clusters to use for stateside users.
Thanks KD8CJ
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Have had the same problem here for last couple days. I changed cluster to ve7cc.net:23 like KD2EWO mentioned in another post , all is working now. I don't know which cluster is better ? Been following W1AW past few months and the old cluster worked great for that and also DXCC chasing. Can any one recommend the best clusters to use for stateside users.
Thanks KD8CJ
All clusters have the same information, more or less, the important thing is how you set the cluster filters.

VE7CC provide a small program which makes it very easy for you to set the filters called "CC User" once you have set the filters with CC User anytime that you log into VE7CC from whatever program your filters are there and working.

I have my filters set to only accept spots as follows

Only the HF bands 80 - 10 meters
All modes except FM and AM
Only DX spotted by spotters from the following countries - N.Ireland. Ireland. Scotland, Isle of Man, Wales, England, Belgium, Holland, Jersey and Guernsey

I am not interested in Christmas Island being spotted by some guy in Texas because I almost certainly would not hear the station.

Alternatively the user can send the filters to the cluster using the Cluster command directly from the Log4om cluster connection F3 window

e.g.
Accept/spots 1 by_zone 14

This filter will reject spots from spotters outside CQ Zone 14 (Eastern part of Europe)

KD8CJ could send the filter command 'accept/spots 1 by_zone 5' to just receive spots spotted by stations on the east coast of the USA

so the short answer is use a cluster of your choice but set the filters to suit your location and operating needs
73 Terry G4POP
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Terry,

Thanks for the recommendation on CC User. Had not known of that software. Got it working, the only issue I had was I have to login with CC User, then log in with Log34OM cluster for the changes to take affect. Works well!

Thanks!

Doug
W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Terry,

I may have spoken too soon. Today, I can't seem to make cc user work. Well it works within itself, but has no affect on the Log4OM cluster display. I have cc user set to report only spots make by the US and Canadian stations. But log4OM cluster is showing all spots. Have even tried disconnecting from L4OM cluster, then connect with CC user, then re-connect with L4OM cluster. I am missing something...?

Thanks,

Doug
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Doug,
Once you have set up the VE7CC filters using cc user then connecting to the VE7CC cluster in Log4om should provide the same cluster spots as CC user

Send command sh/mydx to VE7CC from Log4on
73 Terry G4POP