K1EL Winkeyer Error

Yes, sometimes it happens... Please report any bugs here
vk2nu
Novice Class

K1EL Winkeyer Error

Post by vk2nu »

OK firstly I'm, a new user to Log4OM.. so this could be entirely operator error.

When I attempt to connect to my Winkey in Log4OM I get a message "The operation has timed out", or "Access to the port 'COM3' is denied".

I have the WK2, connected to a Serial/USB adaptor "COM3" on a windows 8.1 (64bit). This works fine using 'Win-Test', 'N1MM' and the 'WKTEST' Winkey utility. I've tried switching to other serial ports and still get the same issue..

Any ideas... Thanks

David, VK2NU
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: K1EL Winkeyer Error

Post by G4POP »

David
Are you running Log4om with Administrator Privileges and is the Log4om communicator running?
73 Terry G4POP
vk2nu
Novice Class

Post by vk2nu »

Hi Terry,

Thanks for the speedy reply... I was 'not' running the program as administrator... I just tried that though and it started really slowing and then told me that OMNIRIG was not installed (which I was using previously for radio control, and is installed and working)! Should I be running as administrator??

Also, excuse my ignorance, but not sure what Log4OM communicator is, or how I turn it on or off.

Cheers

David, VK2NU
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

vk2nu wrote:Hi Terry,

Thanks for the speedy reply... I was 'not' running the program as administrator... I just tried that though and it started really slowing and then told me that OMNIRIG was not installed (which I was using previously for radio control, and is installed and working)! Should I be running as administrator??

Also, excuse my ignorance, but not sure what Log4OM communicator is, or how I turn it on or off.

Cheers

David, VK2NU
David,
You need to run both Omnirig and Log4om with administrator privileges when using Windows 8 - I had a conversation with Alex VE3NES the author of Omnirig, CW Skimmer etc and he agrees that with Windows 8 there can be issues if not using administrator privileges.

Log4om communicator needs to be running but can only do so if Log4om is being run as an administrator on Windows 8

You can start the communicator from the Log4om Options/services tab and also set it to auto start

Full instructions about our communicator can be found in the user guide
73 Terry G4POP
vk2nu
Novice Class

Post by vk2nu »

Thanks Terry,

OK... have managed to run it in administrator and have Omnirig working. Have turned on Log4OM communicator (using the default settings).. But still get the same messages when attempting to initiate the Winkey..

Could you give me a link to the user guide, as I can't seem to find it on the website, or under Help in the program menu..

When I first tried I had HDSDR running which also uses Omnirig, which I suspect is why I got the error message when originally trying to run as administrator (even though several programs should be able to use Omnirig at once?). When I turned off HDSDR, Log4OM ran correctly (but still with the Winkey issue).

Looks like I'll have to play some more..

Cheers

David
VK7XX
Old Man

Post by VK7XX »

vk2nu wrote: Could you give me a link to the user guide, as I can't seem to find it on the website, or under Help in the program menu..
Hello David, to get the "built in" help going, try this... On the main Log4om window, click the word Help., then mouse down to the word Help and move across the black triangle to open the pop out menu... Here, choose English, then choose Force Manual Update" this will get you the latest help file which you will then be ables to see by following the above again, except instead of Force Manual Update, you choose Open Manual.

Also, there are YouTube videos here --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Ppcj ... yavI-azOug
and other installation/user guides here ---> http://www.pisto.it/wordpress/log4om-en/ down the page below the green text

I hope some of this is useful

John
VK7XX
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

vk2nu wrote:Could you give me a link to the user guide, as I can't seem to find it on the website, or under Help in the program menu..
Help/Help/English/Force manual update Wait for the user guide to download which is signified by a window saying "Manual is available"

Now the manual is on your computer and you can access it by Help/Help/English/Open Manual

Alternatively the manual can be downloaded from the web site - Its just below the program download at http://www.pisto.it/wordpress/log4om-en/

There are also many how to videos on Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6Ppcj ... yavI-azOug
When I first tried I had HDSDR running which also uses Omnirig, which I suspect is why I got the error message when originally trying to run as administrator (even though several programs should be able to use Omnirig at once?). When I turned off HDSDR, Log4OM ran correctly
I run HDSDR, SDR-Radio Consul, Log4om, CW Skimmer all connected to Omnirig on a Windows 8.1 machine but they will only work if Omnirig is being run with administrator privileges

If Winkeyer is working with other programs then it will certainly work with Log4om, you just need to get things set up correctly and make sure that the connection is not being blocked from Log4om by the Windows system. I have it working 100% with exactly the same set up as you (Log4OM 1.19, WK2 USB and Windows 8.1 64 bit)
73 Terry G4POP
vk2nu
Novice Class

Post by vk2nu »

Thanks again Terry,

When I look in Help/Help/English/Open Manual, I get an error message, "Can't open this file, there is a problems with the file format". Anyway, I'll look on line.

I have HDSDR and CW-Skimmer running fine, without OmniRig being run as 'administrator privileges', but I'll will change this and give it a try. Would you recommend actually running the HDSDR and Skimmer programs as administrator as well??

Firstly though I'll try and get the Winkeyer working, as the rest is academic if Winkeyer will not run. I imagine the 2 issues are separate, so best to tackle them individually!

Thanks for the help... I have been struggling for days trying to get Skimmer, HDSDR and N1MM running together using virtual COM ports with no luck, so decided to give a logging program that uses OmniRig a try, as you should be able to run all three as long as they use OmniRig for radio control. Indeed I managed this with Win-Test, but the program is not that good for general logging, so thought I would try Log4OM!

I'll report back with how I got on..

David
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

David,
My advice is to set up every program with Administrator Privilege's especially Omnirig and CW Skimmer - As I stated before even Alex the guy that wrote Omnirig and the rest of the Afreet software like CW Skimmer recommends to do this!

Only once you have all the software running using and sharing Omnirig should you then start tracking down the Winkeyer issue

Cant understand why you are having issues with the user guide its only an Adobe PDF file :!:

Try downloading it directly from my Dropbox here

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/549 ... Manual.pdf
73 Terry G4POP
vk2nu
Novice Class

Post by vk2nu »

Terry

Downloaded manual.. all good - thanks.

Running Omnirig, Skimmer, HDSDR and Log4OM all with Administrator privileges works fine... for radio control..

Running communicator with default values, as per manual. Start communicator, seems to be running OK and shows "a green light for TCP Connection for Log4OM".

When I go into the CW Settings screen and attempt to connect to Winkeyer, still getting the same error messages..

David