Database speed

Yes, sometimes it happens... Please report any bugs here
w9mdb
Old Man

Database speed

Post by w9mdb »

Being an old database guy it seems to me the database updates from eQSL and LOTW are slower than they should be.
Are these updates wrapped in a transaction? That normally makes group updates notably faster.

Mike W9MDB
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: Database speed

Post by IW3HMH »

Hi Mike
Some activities works under transaction, but not this one.
There are several check made by the code when informations from LOTW are downloaded, for each QSO retrieved.
We update references, awards and other informations making queries to the database prior to save updated informations.

Anyway this operation is pretty fast. Slow reports usually comes from database stored somewhere in the network or in slow resources (like USB Keys), or exceptionally big log (>150k QSO)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
w9mdb
Old Man

Post by w9mdb »

I have about 12,000 QSOs.
I'm a software person too and have been working database stuff for decades now.
I don't understand why all this can't be done under a transaction.
Any failure would simply roll back and you wouldn't update the "QSL Rcvd since"
All queries during transactions are done against the transacated data so you'd get the same results...just a LOT faster since it simply doesn't do the final commit until you're done.
Not running a transaction means your doing an atomic commit on every QSO would is quite slow by comparison.
"Slow" to me is simply "slower than it should be".
I recently did a resync with eQSL and it took FOREVER (hours) to retrieve and sync 12,000 QSOs (had to do it in batches as was hitting timeouts). It was the database update that was notably slow...not eqsl's retrieval. eQSL apparently has a problem with dates in certain situations...e.g. add a QSO that you missed and it apparently uses the QSO date and not the QSO Received Date.

Mike
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

It's not under transaction because of the modular structure of the database management.
When i pass an array of QSO, this array will work in a single transaction. When i pass a single QSO this is not under transaction, because the transaction is atomic.

Choice is related to the process that reads QSO, checks informations and save the QSO into the database.
DB time is little compared to all other operations. Keeping the transaction open will prevent other database activities and updates, so it's used only when necessary and only into the database layer logic.
There are no transaction that involves activities on database and user interface/external services
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH