Locator Issue?

Yes, sometimes it happens... Please report any bugs here
wb9kpt
Advanced Class

Locator Issue?

Post by wb9kpt »

I have noticed that when I'm logging a QSO and need to retype or correct the call letters, the locator doesn't always update. I ran a test this morning and captured the resulting screen shot. I use QRZ.com for my lookups. Running V1.25 of Log4OM.

First, I typed WA7LNA who is in locator CN87WS, then I erased the A, and typed a W for WA7LNW who is located in DM37GD. See the resulting screen shot... the locator in "QSO info (F1)" is incorrect, but it is correct in the yellow area of the screen (sorry, don't know what that is called).

Any suggestions?

Bill - WB9KPT
Attachments
Screenshot 2016-07-17 Locator.png
Screenshot 2016-07-17 Locator.png (158.72 KiB) Viewed 9205 times
VK7XX
Old Man

Re: Locator Issue?

Post by VK7XX »

wb9kpt wrote:I have noticed that when I'm logging a QSO and need to retype or correct the call letters, the locator doesn't always update. I ran a test this morning and captured the resulting screen shot. I use QRZ.com for my lookups. Running V1.25 of Log4OM.

First, I typed WA7LNA who is in locator CN87WS, then I erased the A, and typed a W for WA7LNW who is located in DM37GD. See the resulting screen shot... the locator in "QSO info (F1)" is incorrect, but it is correct in the yellow area of the screen (sorry, don't know what that is called).

Any suggestions?

Bill - WB9KPT
Interesting info, thanks Bill. I have not noticed this myself however, I havent really paid attention. I will from now on tho, because my typing skills require me to make frequent call sign changes. By-the-way, which of the two grids was logged , the right one or the wrong one ???

regards
John
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Bill,
You discovered a bug so well done

For now please clear the call field completely by using the CLR button or escape key on your keyboard and enter the call sign again

I have added this to our Mantis list and will move the thread to the 'Error reports' section
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Uhm, it's strange.

i remember that there was a request of this type:

i set the callsign -> QRZ lookup
i fixed the callsign and the locator should NOT be overwritten, because there is a possibility i have manually set it.

This is why the "Yellow area" is updated (it's indipendent from any logic) and the locator field is not updated.
In that case, working that way, a complete rewrite of the callsign (ESC + callsign) will works as expected

It sounds more a "feature", than a bug

(Terry, it's mantis issue 519)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

IW3HMH wrote:Uhm, it's strange.

i remember that there was a request of this type:

i set the callsign -> QRZ lookup
i fixed the callsign and the locator should NOT be overwritten, because there is a possibility i have manually set it.

This is why the "Yellow area" is updated (it's indipendent from any logic) and the locator field is not updated.
In that case, working that way, a complete rewrite of the callsign (ESC + callsign) will works as expected

It sounds more a "feature", than a bug

(Terry, it's mantis issue 519)

Lele
Its a combination of both.

1. If the locator is entered manually then a further lookup should not change the existing manually inserted data

2. If the call sign is changed and the previous locator was obtained from an external lookup source then the Locator needs updating
73 Terry G4POP
wb9kpt
Advanced Class

Post by wb9kpt »

Thanks Terry and Lele for responding so quickly. Once again, your support is fantastic!

Appreciate that I can clear the call letter field and start over, however a bug fix would really be appreciated. The use case that was driving this inquiry is recent openings here in the USA on Six Meters. Lot's of quick short contacts, under less than great conditions, lead to frequent initial errors in entering call letters. Given the grid square mania associated with Six Meters, I noticed that the grid square provided by the other operator during the QSO wasn't always matching what I saw in the info screen.

Bill - WB9KPT
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Guys,
once again, it's not a bug.
It fixes a specific need/situation:

1) you hear the contact (badly), and type IW3HMM into Log4OM
2) you hear the locator (correctly) as JN65EA and you write it down because i'm /P
3) you hear the contact callsign and fix the call to IW3HMH (right)

In this case, Log4OM could do another lookup and reset the locator to JN65EO (that is my home locator) and you loose the JN65EA set by hands.
To prevent this situation Log4OM NOW keeps the entered locator, without updating on lookup (because you partly updated the callsign, this will reset the locator if you completely clear the callsign)

Now you're asking to clear the hand written locator and overwrite it with the "default" that is coming from QRZ.COM

It's matter of choice:
In some situations one solution will be useful. On other situations this solution is not desirable.
I've 50/50 on that, and no preferences...

But, again, it's not a bug :)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
wb9kpt
Advanced Class

Post by wb9kpt »

Hi Daniele... You are not describing the use case that I originally mentioned at the start of this thread. In my case, I mistype the call, then correct it. The Locator does not update to the corrected call. I never manually entered a Locator position.

Borrowing from Terry's comments above:

1. If the locator is entered manually then a further lookup should not change the existing manually inserted data

2. If the call sign is changed and the previous locator was obtained from an external lookup source (and was not manually changed) then the Locator needs updating

Bill - WB9KPT
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

OK it all comes flooding back now!

We changed this because some VHF/UHF operator's were entering the locator before the call sign and the call sign entry overwrote the locator information, the same applied to some /P or /MM entries.

Lele and I have discussed this this morning and have decided on the following changes:

1. We will revert to a call sign edit causing an update of the locator field

2. We will add a manual entry 'Lock' button to the locator field to enable entry of a locator that is different to the locator found by a lookup.

This we feel is the best compromise for all users.
73 Terry G4POP
wb9kpt
Advanced Class

Post by wb9kpt »

Thanks Terry, this sounds like a good solution. Once again, I appreciate the support from the team - it has been excellent on this and other issues. Will this be in a v1.x maintenance release, or in v2.0?

Bill - WB9KPT