QTH locator - Resolved

Yes, sometimes it happens... Please report any bugs here
G6WRB
Novice Class

Re: QTH locator - Resolved... or is it?

Post by G6WRB »

Hi Terry/Daniele,

Firstly, may I thank you for an excellent piece of software... I'm enjoying learning all that it can do.

I'm in the process of transferring my logs from Fldigi and I noticed that some of the grid square locators in Log4OM don't seem to tally with those I have in the logs - ie, that I've received from the station operator himself or that I've copied down from QRZ.com.

Indeed, upon entering my own callsign, Log4OM gives me a locator of IO92fs, rather than the correct one of IO91sv... which is not even close. (Interestingly, IO92fs seems to be centred on Ashby Road, Ashby-de-la-Zouch, which I'm guessing is just a pure coincidence, given my surname).

I have checked that my QRZ.com password is correctly entered in Log4OM and I am a fully registered user of QRZ.com... though not a subscription paying one.

Is there an issue, or am I doing something wrong? I predict the latter :)

Thanks
Mark - G6WRB
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: QTH locator - Resolved

Post by G4POP »

Hi Mark,
This should really have been a new topic because the original topic is resolved! however lets resolve your issue.

First you need to be aware that unless you are a paid subscriber to QRZ you will not be able to use all of the QRZ lookup information, including obtaining the locator!

What is happening is that because Log4OM is not obtaining the information e.g. locator, from QRZ it is using the DXCC country list to determine the country locator (Generally about the centre of the country in question)

So how do you resolve this? Just register with the free HamQTH service at http://www.hamqth.com then use that lookup choice in the Log4OM 'settings 1' menu

Please also ensure that you have fully completed the 'Station info' tab especially with regard to your locator to ensure accuracy.

Hope this helps but if not just shout!
73 Terry G4POP
G6WRB
Novice Class

Post by G6WRB »

Ahhh, I jumped the gun!

After posting my question, above, I then saw Daniele's post that stated that QRZ didn't provide the locator info for non-subscription members.

I have followed his advice and registered with HamQTH, amended Log4OM accordingly and, hey presto! It all works properly now.

Again, thanks for a superb piece of software. Please keep up the good work.

Cheers
Mark
G6WRB
Novice Class

Post by G6WRB »

Hi Terry, as you can see, I did manage to figure it out - it was as you stated.

But thanks for the very quick response anyway!!

Cheers
Mark
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

G6WRB wrote:Hi Terry, as you can see, I did manage to figure it out - it was as you stated.

But thanks for the very quick response anyway!!

Cheers
Mark
No Problem

BTW I like the bike!
73 Terry G4POP