Main cluster window call sign maximum length limit

Yes, sometimes it happens... Please report any bugs here
VE3VEE
Old Man

Main cluster window call sign maximum length limit

Post by VE3VEE »

Yesterday I noticed the main cluster window was not able to display the entire call sign of OM2015TITANIC ( http://www.qrz.com/db/om2015titanic ). It displayed the call sign without its last letter which makes me to believe there may be a 12 character limit there. I didn't check if the small cluster window and the log book experienced the same issue.

Could this call sign length limit be increased to a higher number of characters?

73 Marvin VE3VEE
PB4FUN
Advanced Class

Re: Main cluster window call sign maximum length limit

Post by PB4FUN »

Or what about OH5/OM2015TITANIC/MM /QRP :D
PB4FUN Meindert; Rig : Icom IC-9100 / Ant: Falcon OUT-250-B @4m AGL; 144 MHz 16 el @ 4m AGL; 70 cm 23 el @ 5 m AGL
VE3VEE
Old Man

Post by VE3VEE »

Yes, /mm would be quite appropriate for this particular special even station :-)

73 Marvin VE3VEE
VE3VEE
Old Man

Post by VE3VEE »

Interestingly, when I use the LOG4OM's "SPOT Simulation" feature, the entire OM2015TITANIC call sign is displayed correctly, but yesterday, in the real world situation, the last letter of the call sign was missing (while online DX clusters displayed the call sign correctly: http://www.dxwatch.com/dxsd1/dxsd1.php? ... 015titanic ).

73 Marvin VE3VEE
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Sounds like the name is being shortened by restraints at the cluster server

If it's OK doing a test spot I would assume that the field length in Log4om is ok
73 Terry G4POP
VE3VEE
Old Man

Post by VE3VEE »

Terry,

Yes, it could be the cluster server itself causing this. I just checked my LOG4OM to see which cluster server I'm currently using. It is dxfun.com:8000, but interestingly the call sign gets displayed in its entirety on DXFUN's website, too: http://www.dxfuncluster.com/search.php? ... ic&x=3&y=4

73 Marvin VE3VEE
VE3VEE
Old Man

Post by VE3VEE »

I changed my server cluster to a different one to see if it was an issue with that particular server cluster I used. I switched to gb7mbc.spoo.org:8000 in the hope to see om2015titanic again. It seems the Titanic is QRT today, but luckily someone posted the following very long call sing into the DX cluster: DK0FC/LIGHTHOUS. The web based DX clusters display the entire call sign (see here: http://www.dxwatch.com/dxsd1/dxsd1.php? ... /LIGHTHOUS ), but LOG4OM skipped the last three letters of the call sign by displaying just this: DK0FC/LIGHTH

73 Marvin VE3VEE
VE3VEE
Old Man

Post by VE3VEE »

All of a sudden, it started to work correctly. I haven't changed anything, and it just started to display the entire om2015titanic call sign. :mrgreen:

How is this possible?

73 Marvin VE3VEE
PB4FUN
Advanced Class

Post by PB4FUN »

Windows update maybe ? :-p
PB4FUN Meindert; Rig : Icom IC-9100 / Ant: Falcon OUT-250-B @4m AGL; 144 MHz 16 el @ 4m AGL; 70 cm 23 el @ 5 m AGL
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Cluster uses a "bad" string format, based on empty spaces to separate different parts of the strings. Probably the length of the callsign reached the end of the "free space" in the string.
Spot simulation "injects" spots AFTER the parsing section (i don't create strings to be parsed, but i directly put data into the data structure) so the simulation is not affected by the cluster parsing.

Log4OM bases cluster parsing on White spaces to separate informations.
If this happens, please take a copy of the "raw data" in the third cluster screen, where the text scrolls.
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH