Distance - Always showing km not miles

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
KU3V
Novice Class

Distance - Always showing km not miles

Post by KU3V »

I notice when I retrieve data from QRZ.com (I have an account) that the data is updated for a record. However for distance the measurement is always shown in KM units. However I have in settings - options - settings 1 - choice to check is distance in miles. I choose miles but after I save the configuration and update records the distance is in km. So I exit the program and then restart it. Distances are still shown in km not miles within the Country & IOTA tab. Is this an error by the user or in the programming?

Example: In QRZ.com W6RO distance to KU3V shows as Distance = 2275.6 mi (3662.2 km). The program always shows 3663.
Example: In QRZ.com K2DR distance to KU3V shows as Distance 180.1 mi ( 289.8 km). The program always shows 288.

Thanks. You have a great program. Very very nice.

KU3V
Fairfield, PA
USA
KU3V
Novice Class

Re: Distance - Always showing km not miles

Post by KU3V »

One correction. The km was from when I had set the program to km. When I set the program to mi later it won't update the km #s to miles.

Thanks.
k3dcw
Advanced Class

Post by k3dcw »

KU3V,

This is because the the database doesn't usually "replace" data, but rather "merges" it. Since there is data in that field, it won't replace what is already there...a good and safe practice on the part of the developers.

***BACKUP your database file before doing this, just in case it goes horribly wrong***

I came across something similar when I started using Log4OM and I fixed it by clearing out the existing data first, and THEN doing an update to have the new data show up. I can't recall which field it was that I had problems with (it wasn't distances), but this should work for you.

Dave
K3DCW
K3DCW
Elecraft K3
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

There is a provision to update distance and heading in the QSO Archive manager - See user guide

Please be aware that the ADIF format stipulates that distances must be in Km

The selection 'show distances in miles' in Log4OM is only for display purposes in certain windows.

The main logbook data and any distance updates made in Log4OM will always be in Km to conform to ADIF

Although QRZ display in miles we must maintain data in Km for the reasons already stated.
73 Terry G4POP
IW3RAB
Advanced Class

Post by IW3RAB »

G4POP wrote:There is a provision to update distance and heading in the QSO Archive manager - See user guide

Please be aware that the ADIF format stipulates that distances must be in Km

The selection 'show distances in miles' in Log4OM is only for display purposes in certain windows.

The main logbook data and any distance updates made in Log4OM will always be in Km to conform to ADIF

Although QRZ display in miles we must maintain data in Km for the reasons already stated.

Hi Terry,
You are right but in my extreme curiosity two definition of mile that differ 0.0002%.
The international mile derived from "imperarial" mesurement and statute mile (1/8 inch longer)
What is the value of conversion normally used?

73 de Sandro IW3RAB
Sandro IW3RAB
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

Statute mile is the normal used. A mile is a unit of length most commonly equivalent to 5,280 feet (1,760 yards, or about 1,609 metres).
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Hi Sandro,
Only Daniele can answer that!

Clearly I would prefer the Imperial mile :D but Daniele may have used the International mile to keep our American cousins and Australian Nephews happy :D :) :D

You know the old saying 'Size matters' :D
73 Terry G4POP
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

Perhaps Daniele could give a choice KM, Statute or Imperial. This would avert the Brits from burning the White House again. Hi. :lol:
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Miles = Km * 0.621371192

this is the actual calculation. If there is a better value for conversion that will make everyone happy let me know, and i will update ;)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
IW3RAB
Advanced Class

Post by IW3RAB »

IW3HMH wrote:Miles = Km * 0.621371192

this is the actual calculation. If there is a better value for conversion that will make everyone happy let me know, and i will update ;)
The factor is correct, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mile
The problen was introduced by "Queen Elizabeth I" with "elastic" yards.
I did not think to create this noise.
I hope nobody ask for nautical miles (2000 yards)
12 inches is a feet and 36 is a yard.
let's have a pint beer

73 de Sandro IW3RAB
Sandro IW3RAB