Moving from DX4WIN on a FLEX-6500

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
ac5aa
Old Man

Moving from DX4WIN on a FLEX-6500

Post by ac5aa »

I've used DX4WIN for years, and have decided I need to move to a product that is still being developed. So, for those of you who have moved from DX4WIN and moved your database to Log4OM, what do I need to look out for? Specifically, I have four areas I know may be a problem:

1. How will I need to "fix" my current award status (i.e., what DXCC bands/modes/mixed are awarded) to accurately reflect current status? It appears they are not picked up from the DX4WIN ADIF fields (most likely, DX4WIN doesn't export them.)

2. Has anyone gotten Log4OM to work with the latest FLEX software release, 1.6 of SSDR? If so, what was required to make it work? I currently don't use DDUtil or other 3rd party solutions.

3. Does Log4OM have a way of identifying "groups" like DX4WIN does? Alternatively, how can I identify which QSO's were made during a particular contest?

4. Finally, my QSO's are spread between two callsigns - does Log4OM have a way of keeping them "separate" and yet combined for use on awards? My old callsign was from 22 years ago, but I had done significant work on DXCC with it.

Thanks in advance. Log4OM looks like a viable successor to DX4WIN for me, and that's saying a lot because DX4WIN has done a really good job to this point.

73, Duane AC5AA
73, Duane AC5AA
KT5V
Advanced Class

Re: Moving from DX4WIN on a FLEX-6500

Post by KT5V »

Hi Duane - I share your pain. DX4WIN is a great program, but long in the tooth. When I made the switch, LOG4OM really impressed me with the shallow learning curve, modern features and great support here. I still "miss" DX4WIN and certain features (groups for example), but the active development of LOG4OM and its rich feature set more than makes up. Electronic QSL management is so much easier too.

I can't help with the FLEX question, but as to the others:
1. How will I need to "fix" my current award status (i.e., what DXCC bands/modes/mixed are awarded) to accurately reflect current status? It appears they are not picked up from the DX4WIN ADIF fields (most likely, DX4WIN doesn't export them.)
Correct, DX4WIN does not export this W7DRM shared a fine piece of software he wrote to help with this, but it makes use of the ARRL LOTW ADIF file. Unfortunately, if your DXCC dates back to pre-computerized times at ARRL, your totals may (or may not) add up correctly. And certainly won't be tagged to the specific call. W7DRM might weigh in here or you can search the discussion here.

For me this was a slow manual process of reconciling with my DXCC. I just didn't find a faster way to do it. Hopefully someone will step in with better suggestion. It required patience, but I simply found no other way to do it.
3. Does Log4OM have a way of identifying "groups" like DX4WIN does? Alternatively, how can I identify which QSO's were made during a particular contest?
No. I miss this feature. The CONTEST_ID tag will help here. I suggest filtering your DX4WIN log by groups, exporting by groups and importing a group at a time. This allows you to rebuild your log in LOG4OM and then modifying the CONTEST_ID tag using the QSO Archive Manager
4. Finally, my QSO's are spread between two callsigns - does Log4OM have a way of keeping them "separate" and yet combined for use on awards? My old callsign was from 22 years ago, but I had done significant work on DXCC with it.
Similar situation here with three calls. I like one big log for award tracking too. Again, breaking your DX4WIN log down using the group filter (or date filter) and exporting/importing by increments works here. Then, once imported, you can use QSO Archive Manager to get the correct callsign associated with the right QSO.

Summary - incremental imports worked best for me. Take time to understand using the Archive Manager to add the missing information that DX4WIN either doesn't record or leaves out of the export. I would not recommend doing what I did at first - importing 30k QSOs lump sum then feeling lost as to how to get the information right.

Good Luck!

73 de David KT5V
G3ZSS
Old Man

Post by G3ZSS »

It is easy to get Log4OM working with the Flex. I set up a dedicated COM port in SDRCAT. Then in Omnirig I connect to this Com port. You will need to download the SmartSDR rig file from the DXAtlas (Omnirig) website. I have Omnirig set to connect at 19200 8N1.
73 Peter
73 Peter G3ZSS
ac5aa
Old Man

Post by ac5aa »

Peter and David,
Thanks for the quick responses and helpful information. David, I'm pretty sure moving from DX4WIN has these same problems regardless of where one moves to next, so I appreciate your sharing your experience. I did a full import just to see how country counting worked in Log4OM vs. DX4WIN and it looks like I will have a few anomalies to fix there. Peter - thanks, I was hoping to avoid 3rd party software, but it appears Omnirig is used with many radios so I'll follow your suggestion.
Thanks again to both of you. Now, does anyone have some "spare time" I can borrow. This being retired thing just eats up so much of my time! :-)

73, Duane AC5AA
73, Duane AC5AA
G3ZSS
Old Man

Post by G3ZSS »

Duane, think of Omnirig as an essential component in Log4OM if you want a CAT interface. With SmartSDR 1.6 you also have a choice as to how you operate CW. You can either use CWX, or set up a Winkeyer Com Port in SmartCAT 1.6 and use the Winkeyer interface in Log4OM. 73 Peter
73 Peter G3ZSS
ac5aa
Old Man

Post by ac5aa »

OK, got it - thanks again, Peter!
73, Duane AC5AA
PA3FQA
Novice Class

Post by PA3FQA »

Hi All,

I'm currently trying to set up LOG4OM. I'm trying to import my QSOs from DX4WIN. That works great, but I lose all my DXCC award records because they not exported from DX4WIN. What if I filter in DX4WIN on Checked QSO en export that to an ADIF, can I set LOG4OM in away that it sets all imported QSOs as validated by ARRL? This would make it more conveniant with over 3000 records at the ARRL.

Any suggestions?

73 de Dick PA3FQA
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

PA3FQA wrote:Hi All,

I'm currently trying to set up LOG4OM. I'm trying to import my QSOs from DX4WIN. That works great, but I lose all my DXCC award records because they not exported from DX4WIN. What if I filter in DX4WIN on Checked QSO en export that to an ADIF, can I set LOG4OM in away that it sets all imported QSOs as validated by ARRL? This would make it more conveniant with over 3000 records at the ARRL.

Any suggestions?

73 de Dick PA3FQA

You cant set that to be done during the import but you can after the QSO's have been imported by using the QSO Archive manager
73 Terry G4POP