Slow database lookup?

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
G4AON
Old Man

Slow database lookup?

Post by G4AON »

I'm running ver 1.24, SQLite and just over 7000 QSOs in the database. The PC is running Windows 7/64 on a 2.6 GHz processor.

When I enter a call for a station I've previously worked, or click on a similar call on the cluster display, it takes several seconds for the QSO Lookup to show previous QSOs.

Is this a problem with SQLite, or the way the logbook is written, or something to do with my configuration? Any thoughts?

73 Dave
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Slow database lookup?

Post by G4POP »

I would say its something to do with your computer, I have a logbook with 90000 QSO's and there is no delay anywhere using an old Pentium 4 and XP

Check your security settings, firewall, anti virus, malware software and if you are running Google Chrome remove it
73 Terry G4POP
G4AON
Old Man

Post by G4AON »

Terry are you running MySQL, or SQLite?

The PC is no slouch, I have just a shade under 7000 records in Winlog32 and that is "instant" at looking up previous QSOs. Just checked both side by side and the difference is like night and day.

I've just updated the database from SQLite to MySQL, it makes no difference. I've also turned off pretty much all services on the PC and again no difference.

73 Dave
N6VH
Old Man

Post by N6VH »

Dave,

I use SQlite, and my log has over 50000 QSO's. A search takes about a second or less. Your computer is certainly fast enough, so there must be something else that is slowing things down. Incidentally, how much memory do you have?

Another possibility is that there is another program running that is hogging the CPU. You could probably check that with the task manager.

Jim N6VH
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

G4AON wrote:Terry are you running MySQL, or SQLite?

The PC is no slouch, I have just a shade under 7000 records in Winlog32 and that is "instant" at looking up previous QSOs. Just checked both side by side and the difference is like night and day.

I've just updated the database from SQLite to MySQL, it makes no difference. I've also turned off pretty much all services on the PC and again no difference.

73 Dave
I am using SQLite, with only 7000 entries MySQL is an overkill unless you are using a network of contest of DXpedition stations

You probably had a bad download or install, I suggest that you uninstall, do a fresh download and reinstall (Don't forget yo install as an administrator.

For speed Log4OM runs rings around any other software so you have a local issue
73 Terry G4POP
G4AON
Old Man

Post by G4AON »

G4POP wrote: You probably had a bad download or install, I suggest that you uninstall, do a fresh download and reinstall (Don't forget yo install as an administrator.
I've just restored the PC to a point prior to installing MySQL, swapped back to SQLite, de-installed Log4OM (ver 1.24) and installed a freshly downloaded version. No difference...

The PC has 4 GB of RAM, there is little CPU activity -idling around 1% - 2%, hitting 20% on call callsign entry. Roughly 2GB of RAM is free. All other programs run fine, as does a callsign look up using Winlog32 with the same log of 7000 entries.

I've loaded the 7000 QSO ADIF file into my laptop's installation (also running Log4OM ver 1.24) and it works swiftly, so I am baffled.

This PC is running Win 7, 64 bit. The laptop has a slower CPU (Celeron 1.6 GHz), runs Win 10, 64 bit and also has 4 GB of RAM.

73 Dave
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Last time I encountered this the user was using Google Chrome Browser which was doing all manner of odd things in the background
73 Terry G4POP
G4AON
Old Man

Post by G4AON »

G4POP wrote:Last time I encountered this the user was using Google Chrome Browser which was doing all manner of odd things in the background
I don't have, and never have had, Chrome.

However, the good news is that I think I have found the problem... Under "Settings 1" there is a tick box marked "Realtime previous QSO while typing (SLOW), mine was not ticked on the desktop PC and was ticked on the laptop. The suggestion is that ticking it causes the PC to run SLOW, it appears to do the opposite!

With "Realtime previous QSO while typing (SLOW)" ticked the program runs very well...

73 Dave
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

However, the good news is that I think I have found the problem... Under "Settings 1" there is a tick box marked "Realtime previous QSO while typing (SLOW), mine was not ticked on the desktop PC and was ticked on the laptop. The suggestion is that ticking it causes the PC to run SLOW, it appears to do the opposite!

With "Realtime previous QSO while typing (SLOW)" ticked the program runs very well...
Hi Dave,
I have just tested on my three machines and my Linx tablet that I use when portable, with and without the 'QSO while typing@ box checked and unchecked and I cannot replicate your problem.

I can only assume that either you had a bad download and/or install or that you did not select "Run as administrator2 when you ran the installation exe file by right clicking on the file.
73 Terry G4POP
G4AON
Old Man

Post by G4AON »

Hi Terry
The install was done as administrator and the fresh download matched the size of an earlier download.

I'm not able to run more tests until later today, or possibly Monday. I have a 7000 record log file on my laptop as well, so I can compare them.

Ticking/unticking the box changed the lookup time from "instant" to a worse case of close to 10 seconds on the desktop PC with Win 7/64 bit.

More later. 73 Dave