logbook display

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
k2jf
Novice Class

logbook display

Post by k2jf »

After lots of years with a highly regarded logging program, and the trial download of MANY logging programs I've found this one to work the best right out of the box. But like all logging programs there are mysteries that are not dealt with in the user manual.. At least as far as I can see. OK... so everything is working nicely but there are two things I can't figure out:
1) after going into 'layout' of the logbook it seems that I'm limited to total visible width. In other words I would like to see the 'comments' box extend further out.
2) and the most annoying is how to hide the window to the right of the log. The one that shows 'distance', 'short path', 'long path', etc... It shows latest spots but that seems redundant as long as I also have the cluster window open.

The reason why I've given up on that logging program that I used for so long was that in the past year it would ALWAYS freeze up on me and required a computer restart all the time.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: logbook display

Post by G4POP »

Hi Philip,
Welcome to our forums and Log4OM.

Not quiet sure what you require with the width of the fields, perhaps you could explain a bit more?

Unfortunately the small cluster/info pane in the main window cannot be hidden at this time but anything is possible so I will add it to our Mantis list, however it may take a little time to get this included because Daniele has a heavy workload at the moment mainly due to the latest ADIF format changes.

I hope you enjoy the program and if you have any problems please let us know.
73 Terry G4POP
dk2lo
Old Man

Post by dk2lo »

Hi Philip,

for problem 2 I suggest the following which works for me. By clicking on the vertical border line between the logbook window and the small cluster window, then holding down the left mouse button, you can move the line. You can move it quite far to the right, only a small strip stays on the left. This does not hide the whole window but most of it, making place for more info from logbook. Perhaps this helps already.

I hope you can understand what I mean.

good luck with LOG4OM
73 Olaf DK2LO
k2jf
Novice Class

Post by k2jf »

Hi Terry and Olaf

First of all thanks getting back to me so soon after my post. What I mean about the width of the comments box: in the Recent QSO View I have enabled: QSO date, call, band, mode, country, rst sent, rst received and comment. The comments space then does not stretch to the far right boundary of the Recent QSO window. I just wonder if there's any way to make it wider. If not a big deal. And Olaf - I do know what you mean by dragging over the window so there's only a little left of it showing. I also wanted you to know that I've tried over 10 logging programs since my frustration with how my main logging program was freezing on me every day. And Log4OM is proving to be sweetest. I'm really enjoying the learning curve.
k2jf
Novice Class

Post by k2jf »

I mentioned that my other logging program would just freeze - usually around the use of cat control. well, just now the same thing happened with Log4OM. I made a change to the settings in cat control - in the omnirig dialogue box. Then the ominlog dialogue froze and the logging program itself froze. I'm sure I'll have to restart the computer. But it sure would be nice if I could figure out what causes this. Maybe a clue - just before making the change in the ominrig cat control I noticed that the frequency display in the logging program was NOT changing as I tuned around. So something's up here.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

Hi Phil,
What is the rig, interface, computer and operating system
73 Terry G4POP
k2jf
Novice Class

Post by k2jf »

Hi Terry

it's the DigiMaster Universal USB TTL CAT Interface
Icom 756 Pro III
Windows XP Intel Celeron E3500 @2.70 GHz and 3.24 GB ram
dk2lo
Old Man

Post by dk2lo »

Hi Phil,

I think I understand what you mean. At the bottom of the recent QSO window you can use the LAYOUT Button. After opening this window you are in "Column selection". Beside this is "Column layout". Switch to that window. Here you can define the length of the columns you have selected. To save these changes you have to go back to "Column selection" and the click on the disk icon and the changes are there. I needed some time to check this out but it works fine for me.

Is this the solution for your request?

Unfortunately I have no experience with your CAT problem. I have a elecraft K3 which works fine with Omnirig. I first tried Hamlib but had problems but I do not remember the details any more - but no freezing.

Yes I tried also many other logging programs before and I always was disappointed and changed back to my ASCII file with self written Edit macros. This is now the first professional logging program which is in production at Radio DK2LO and I am happy with most of it, still using only a limited set of the many features.

good luck
73 Olaf DK2LO
k2jf
Novice Class

Post by k2jf »

I wonder if it could be the RTS DTR settings. I tried a different CAT device - Blackcat. Didn't help. But just now I set the RTS and DTR both to high... so far so good. Anyone else have the Icom 756 Pro III? what are your RTS DTR settings?
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

k2jf wrote:Hi Terry

it's the DigiMaster Universal USB TTL CAT Interface
Icom 756 Pro III
Windows XP Intel Celeron E3500 @2.70 GHz and 3.24 GB ram

Nothing wrong with the hardware so have you installed service pack 3 for XP?

Also Windows .Net framework full?

What version number of Log4OM are you using? (Help/About - Version)

Any antivirus or firewalls in operation?

What other software is running at the same time as Log4OM?
73 Terry G4POP