Identifying RTTY vs "Digital"

Your ideas for making Log4OM even better.
ac5aa
Old Man

Identifying RTTY vs "Digital"

Post by ac5aa »

RTTY is, indeed, a digital mode, but operating it is usually very different for those serious about it. For that reason, it would be nice if the following aids could be incorporated:

1. Sending spots - when in RTTY mode, append the text string RTTY in the comments field of the spot. Many other software loggers look for this to define RTTY.

2. When jumping on a spot, if RTTY is in the comments field, switch the rig's mode to RTTY. This should override any frequency-defined mode settings.

Setting to "digital" just doesn't work for RTTY spots for me, and I'm assuming others who use rigs in the RTTY mode setting.

73, Duane
73, Duane AC5AA
VK7XX
Old Man

Re: Identifying RTTY vs "Digital"

Post by VK7XX »

I will second that

John
VK7XX
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Hi Duane and John,

A bit of background - OmniRig communicates between Log4OM and the rig, and in its communication between Log4OM and OmniRig, it is limited to the following modes - CW_U, CW_L, SSB_U, SSB_L, DIG_U, DIG_L, AM, and FM. In your rig's Omnirig ini file - (example 7600v2.ini) the user has the option to select what actual digital mode to set the rig when a digital mode is commanded when you double click on a "DIGITAL" spot. If you would like the rig to always switch to RTTY when a digital spot is double clicked on, you can modify your rig's ini file to do so. The ini files are usually found in your C:\Program Files (x86)\Afreet\OmniRig\Rigs folder.

The other issue which occurs when working RTTY is that once you double click on an RTTY spot and your rig changes to RTTY mode (assuming you have changed your .ini file as above) when you log that contact, Log4OM defaults to USB mode. I have been suggesting a setting in Log4OM for a user default Digital mode, whereby the user could select their default digital mode, RTTY, PSK or JT-65 or whatever. But if for instance, your default was RTTY and you worked a PSK contact, you would need to manually change the mode before logging the qso. It would at least be better than ALWAYS having to change the mode, as it is now. I have been discussing this option with Daniele just yesterday, and hopefully we can get this added to Log4OM.

Your suggestion #1 might make sense, except that Log4OM only knows that you are in a Digital mode, not RTTY.

Your suggestion #2 would be great, but again, Log4OM using Omnirig can only command Digital and its up to the .ini file setting to specify which digital mode to use.

What we really need is for OmniRig to offer more discreet digital modes. I just don't know if that will ever happen. But I will pose that question to Alex, author of OmniRig and see what he says.

I hope this makes sense.

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
ac5aa
Old Man

Post by ac5aa »

Thanks, Doug. Hopefully the argument makes sense to the Omnirig author because as a fairly active RTTY'er, the lack of this support makes Log4OM a little unwieldy. Especially if the QSO gets logged as "USB" instead of RTTY and I don't catch it. The spotting items are fairly widely used, so, hopefully it all makes sense to him. Thanks for your help.

73, Duane
73, Duane AC5AA
NN7D
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by NN7D »

Hi Duane,

I have added part of your suggestion #2 to the Mantis list. This feature would parse the notes field of the spot, and use that mode to set the QSO Mode in Log4OM. I think this is a workable solution and would offer the correct digital mode in the QSO Mode field, 95% of the time. There is the occasional digital spot without a mode specified, in that case a user Setup selectable default digital mode might also be helpful. Also of note is that all skimmer digital spots do contain the correct digital mode, so if you also use skimmer spots (which I find very helpful) they all contain the correct digital mode.

As far as controlling what mode your rig changes to, that will continue to be controlled by your (rig).ini file which OmniRig reads. So if RTTY is your dominant digital mode, and your rig is not switching to RTTY when you double-click on a RTTY spot, you need to modify your (rig).ini file to do so. If you need help modifying your (rig).ini file, just let me know. This remains a limitation of OmniRig. BTW, I have written to Alex about upgrading OmniRig - awaiting a response.

In the meantime, whenever I work a RTTY contact, I know I must reset the mode in Log4OM from SSB to RTTY, which is only 2 up in the list of modes. I do this before I ADD the QSO. Its now just a habit I have formed.

Doug - W7DRM
Doug - NN7D
Gig Harbor, WA, USA
ac5aa
Old Man

Post by ac5aa »

Thanks once again, Doug. Yes, I noticed today that clicking on a spot for RTTY on 17m (18100 Khz) Log4OM loaded "SSB." I've got a FLEX-6500 and I'm using his SmartSDR rig .ini file. I'll take a look in there and see if I can tell what needs to change. That might help until a better solution is available. I've pretty much decided to stick with Log4OM and will be making another contribution soon because it looks like it can grow into a really nice solution for logging. Meanwhile, I'm still learning, learning, learning!

73, Duane
73, Duane AC5AA