Contest Info

General discussions about Log4OM features
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Contest Info

Post by G4POP »

I am sorry but I cant see the problem.

I just set up an IOTA Contest for today as follows....

1. Set up the F8 screen as shown below with the contest selected, date range, serial number start and the exchange in the suffix field (In my case EU-005

See image below

2. Now I work ZD7FT and Peter gives me his exchange 59 999 AF-022 and I enter this information into the F3 Contest tab (999-AF-022 I forgot the hyphen in the image below, it forces the exchange number into the 'Contest received number' field)

See image below

3. I add the QSO to the log and view the result

See image below

Even if the other operator supplies the wrong IOTA reference or it is another island in the group not identified automatically in the IOTA field you still have exactly the information provided and required for the contest in the Contest received field?

OK perhaps sometimes the IOTA fields may not match but that is easily spotted after the contest and can be edited but the main thing is that the contest exchange data is perfect for your contest submission ADIF

As for Cabrillo we have it on the list
Attachments
Setup the contest template
Setup the contest template
Contest set up.JPG (39.57 KiB) Viewed 4017 times
Log a contact using the F3 Tab
Log a contact using the F3 Tab
Contest set up2.JPG (36.71 KiB) Viewed 4017 times
Resulting logbook entry with correct exchange information as supplied by the station worked - The IOTA fields are irrelevant for the contest submission!
Resulting logbook entry with correct exchange information as supplied by the station worked - The IOTA fields are irrelevant for the contest submission!
Contest set up3.JPG (25.27 KiB) Viewed 4017 times
73 Terry G4POP
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

G4POP wrote:Would it be possible just to flag an error if the IOTA reference was not completed during an IOTA contest entry? Like a pop up to warn the user to check F2 for missing data?
No, for 2 main reasons at this time:

1) This feature will require a specific software exception for RSGB-IOTA, and having code exceptions is something i don't like in the code (less maintainable in the long term)
2) You can have QSO with NON-IOTA stations, and this popup will be really annoying in that case (probably the most frequent one).

The fact IOTA is an ADIF field is purely incidental. Log4OM doesn't have a field (yet) for other informations like lighthouses and other. Iota is the only one that needs this information, and moving IOTA field in this tab for this purpose it's not so smart imho.

What i can do (but i will reserve some time to think about) is to move the RECEIVED field in the main screen (not inside a tab), but i need to check if i have a place where put this field...

Daniele
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
ei9ju
Advanced Class

Post by ei9ju »

Terry & Danielle, I wasn't aware the received tab under "Contest info" accepted the full exchange, eg the serial number AND the island group as I thought that tab was only good for the received serial number, had I known then what I know now I' would've been satisfied with what was on offer, so once again thank you both for your patience and assistance and hopefully the thread will make others aware too ;)
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

ei9ju wrote:Terry & Danielle, I wasn't aware the received tab under "Contest info" accepted the full exchange, eg the serial number AND the island group as I thought that tab was only good for the received serial number, had I known then what I know now I' would've been satisfied with what was on offer, so once again thank you both for your patience and assistance

I have now amended the user guide as attached
Attachments
LOG4OM User Guide Eng.pdf.zip
(108.45 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
73 Terry G4POP