Wrong DXCC´s in log

General discussions about Log4OM features
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Wrong DXCC´s in log

Post by DF5WW »

Hi Folks,

after the last contest i found a problem with logged DXCC entities. Some stations are working from other countries but DXCC ever shown the call owners DXCC so i think it was "grabbed" from the online databases. I tried it with my own call as "4O/DF5WW/P" and it would show´n as "Federal Republic of Germany" but correct is Montenegro. With other Prefixes like "G/DF5WW/P" or F/DF5WW/P it works correkt so i think the internal Database was used. Also wrong DXCC´s was shown if a Number is used as extension like "UA0BG/6" which will show "Asiatic Russia" as DXCC but correct was "European Russia" .....

Any Idea to make this work correct ????
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Re: Wron DXCC´s in log

Post by G4POP »

DF5WW wrote:Hi Folks,

after the last contest i found a problem with logged DXCC entities. Some stations are working from other countries but DXCC ever shown the call owners DXCC so i think it was "grabbed" from the online databases. I tried it with my own call as "4O/DF5WW/P" and it would show´n as "Federal Republic of Germany" but correct is Montenegro. With other Prefixes like "G/DF5WW/P" or F/DF5WW/P it works correkt so i think the internal Database was used. Also wrong DXCC´s was shown if a Number is used as extension like "UA0BG/6" which will show "Asiatic Russia" as DXCC but correct was "European Russia" .....

Any Idea to make this work correct ????
Hi Juergen,
I think there might be a problem with the country file regarding 4O/ and I have asked Chuck to check it out
73 Terry G4POP
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

The Log4OM country file has been updated effective July 31, 2013 (B)

The problem was with the prefix just being 4O and no number following the prefix. It is now fixed.

Chuck-K7PT
K7PT-Chuck "#1 Top of the Honor Roll"
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

G4POP wrote:
DF5WW wrote:Hi Folks,
Also wrong DXCC´s was shown if a Number is used as extension like "UA0BG/6" which will show "Asiatic Russia" as DXCC but correct was "European Russia" .....
This /6 issue is not covered by the DXCC list and is a unique situation.

Having said that it is in the Clublog exceptions list on their website so I need to see if it is included in the list we download from Clublog.

If it is in the list then I will have to talk to Daniele about it, if not then I will notify Michael Wells of the Clublog omission.

UPDATE
Its not in the Clublog Exceptions file so I will contact Clublog
73 Terry G4POP
ei9ju
Advanced Class

Post by ei9ju »

I noticed the same problem whilst checking IOTA groups.
If, for an example, if the station is signing as OH/SP7VC the drop down still has the operator in Poland and not Finland and is showing the country as Poland and island group for the same but if an area number is inserted the correct country and island group is displayed, problem is most stations working under CEPT Agreement don't include the call area number.
The problem doesn't exist for countries not using a call-area, for instance if it was G/SP7VC the logger immediately recognises the operator is in England.
DF5WW
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by DF5WW »

Thank´s Chuck for the new country file ..... the 4O Problem is resolved :D :D I love quick fixes if anybody reports a problem, great work.

@Terry,

thank´s for contacting Clublog. I saw the problems after upload my contestlog to clublog. They reporting the wrong DXCC´s in my log and changed to the right ones. In my Log i changed after reading the mail.

There was a 3rd problem too with GV special calls. Log4OM set to England but original it was a call from Wales but that´s special Callsigns which used on the whole "Island" so it´s a problem to find out who´s who ...... A special situation which will resolved with the of use of the GV-Prefixes ;) ..... No reason to change anything.

73´s and thank´s to all ...... nice Job Image
73´s .. Juergen ... ALT-512 SDR (10W) , 50 m random wire at SG-211 autotuner, 2 x Xiegu G90 (20W HF TRX) one as portable Radio. Also TS-790E (40 W) for VHF/UHF with X-50 vertical and Duoband 4-Element LPDA.
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

ei9ju wrote:I noticed the same problem whilst checking IOTA groups.
If, for an example, if the station is signing as OH/SP7VC the drop down still has the operator in Poland and not Finland and is showing the country as Poland and island group for the same but if an area number is inserted the correct country and island group is displayed, problem is most stations working under CEPT Agreement don't include the call area number.
The problem doesn't exist for countries not using a call-area, for instance if it was G/SP7VC the logger immediately recognises the operator is in England.
This is a case of the operator not using proper prefixes with area numbers from where he is operating.

In the case above, is he from OH0 (Aaland Is.) or Finland (OH1, 2,3 ,etc,)?????

You can't fix stupidity.

Chuck-K7PT
G4POP
Log4OM Alpha Team

Post by G4POP »

K7PT wrote:
This is a case of the operator not using proper prefixes with area numbers from where he is operating.

You can't fix stupidity.

Chuck-K7PT
Ya beat me to the draw partner!

Absolutely correct and wouldn't it make our lives easier if hams applied some brain power, like the wally's that insist on using the prefix as a suffix?
73 Terry G4POP
ei9ju
Advanced Class

Post by ei9ju »

K7PT wrote:

You can't fix stupidity.

Chuck-K7PT
He was actually operating from EU-097 and give that reference frequently but as the callsign area number wasn't included in the prefix the option to log it under the IOTA window didn't occur.
...and correct me if I'm wrong, but it isn't compulsory for a visiting Amateur operating under CEPT to include an area number in the prefix and some regulatory bodies advise against doing so.
Edit; Here's the correct format of a callsign if operating in Iceland.
(C): Licensees from these countries should only use the TF prefix in front of their call signs, but not the TF prefix with an Icelandic call area number. For example: TF/W1XXX would thus be correct; but TF6/W1XXX incorrect.
http://www.ira.is/display/Eng/Operating+in+Iceland
K7PT
Old Man

Post by K7PT »

ei9ju wrote:
K7PT wrote:

You can't fix stupidity.

Chuck-K7PT
He was actually operating from EU-097 and give that reference frequently but as the callsign area number wasn't included in the prefix the option to log it under the IOTA window didn't occur.
...and correct me if I'm wrong, but it isn't compulsory for a visiting Amateur operating under CEPT to include an area number in the prefix and some regulatory bodies advise against doing so.
Edit; Here's the correct format of a callsign if operating in Iceland.
(C): Licensees from these countries should only use the TF prefix in front of their call signs, but not the TF prefix with an Icelandic call area number. For example: TF/W1XXX would thus be correct; but TF6/W1XXX incorrect.
http://www.ira.is/display/Eng/Operating+in+Iceland
TF is not a problem because it only resolves to one country, Iceland.

Take VK for example. Without a number AND at least the first letter of the suffix, it could be one of many countries, Lord Howe, Christmas, Is., etc.

While it well may be that the number is not required under CEPT, how does the logging program know which too choose from? It's impossible unless it is contained in an external source that the program uses or the user selects the correct country.

We have a logging program, not a mind reader.