manual frequency correction leaves RX freq in Sat/prop field unchanged leading to "cross" band recorded on LOTW

Need help? - Post here and we will find a solution for you.
yo3ipr
Advanced Class

manual frequency correction leaves RX freq in Sat/prop field unchanged leading to "cross" band recorded on LOTW

Post by yo3ipr »

Hi Guys
A happy new year to you all and thanks for your brilliant program.

I recently discovered some LOTW entries showing at "cross" in the "band" field even though the QSO frequency shown was as per Log4OM. This was very strange since I never work cross-band or satellites. When I opened the log entries in question in Log4OM I could see that the RX Freq in the "Satellite" tab was not matching the frequency shown in "QSO information". I had to recreate these log entries and submit them as new to LOTW (LOTW does not provide any means to delete or correct existing records). I suspected these were cases where I manually changed the frequency in Log4OM before uploading to LOTW.

Today I had to manually enter a record in my log that was missed a few days ago. The radio was connected via CAT so I went to "settings" and selected "suspend CAT reading" and manually entered the frequency and other details. However, when I looked in the "Sat/Prop" tab I saw that it still showed the original frequency read from CAT before I suspended CAT reading, i.e. it was NOT synchronized to the manually entered frequency in "QSO information". Note that "enable SAT Mode" was not ticked in the "Sat/Prop" tab.

I downloaded my complete log from Log4OM as adif and converted it to Excel for analysis to see if this has happened before. I see that "FREQ_RX" was always blank until after I installed v1.23.0 on 16 Oct 2015.

Is there a new setting in that I need to check or update from v1.23.0 onwards or is this a "bug"?

This is a serious issue since people who do not use Satellites would not usually look in the "Sat/Prop" tab when making or updating log entries and, as you can see, it may be causing bad data to be recorded at LOTW and hence failed QSL's there.

Please can you ensure that the "RX frequency" is either left blank when "SAT Mode" is not enabled or that it synchronizes with the "QSO Information" frequency when that is edited manually. As a P.S you may consider an option for "cross-band" working without using a Satellite, but that is "off topic" here.

I await your feedback.

Many Thanks & 73
Tony YO3IPR / G4IPR
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Re: manual frequency correction leaves RX freq in Sat/prop field unchanged leading to "cross" band recorded on LOTW

Post by IW3HMH »

Thank you for reporting.
I'll investigate this issue
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
N4IQ
Novice Class

Re: manual frequency correction leaves RX freq in Sat/prop field unchanged leading to "cross" band recorded on LOTW

Post by N4IQ »

Hello! HNY 2016 to all!

I have this same problem when manually logging and was going to post a new topic to User Support but now I see this posting.

Whenever I manually enter a HF contact - say from a paper log - I have the same issue. I can "Suspend Cat Control" in the Setting drop down menu and/or I can also turn my radio off completely (however OmniRig is still loaded in Windows 10), but the last read LOG4OM "Frequency RX" is still put into the new log entry. Sometimes this indicates a cross band contact and is incorrect. Regardless, the RX frequency is wrong. Worse of all, I have no way to change it or NOT have the "Frequency RX" entered at all. So the issue is not just with Satellite contacts - it happens with any manually entered contact.

i have not down loaded 1.24 so I do not know if the problem has been corrected.

73 Thanks for the support. Bill N4iQ
yo3ipr
Advanced Class

Post by yo3ipr »

Hi Bill

Hopefully there will be a fix shortly, until then the workaround is to set the RX Freq manually to show the same as the QSO frequency. It doesn't have to be precise, just in the same band. Make sure to check that the "band" is correctly updated in the QSO info tab when you manually edit the frequency too - that problem was fixed some time ago but it seem not always to automatically update when entering the frequency manually now. You cant edit or remove bad entries in LOTW, you just need to upload the corrected log entry and LOTW treats it as a separate entry.

73 & Happy New Year
Tony YO3IPR / G4IPR

P.S. I use the latest version 1.24.0 but this problem started in 1.23.0 back in October. OS here is Win7 X64.
N4IQ
Novice Class

Post by N4IQ »

Thanks for the reply, Tony. I have a question - when you say "set the RX Freq manually" to show the same frequency as the QSO frequency" - are you setting the RX Freq manually by setting the frequency on the radio vfo's and then logging a new QSO entry? I see no entry field in the "update QSO" window or the QSO entry display where one can enter the RX Freq directly from the keyboard. I have changed the Layout in the screen displays where I see the "Frequency RX" but no field in any entry window where I can edit or enter the "Frequency RX". It appears this value is only enter by the setting of the transceiver vfo's. Am I correct? Bill
yo3ipr
Advanced Class

Post by yo3ipr »

Hi Bill

I am not using the radio to set the frequencies for manaully correcting a log entry, I make the updates in Log4OM.

In the "Update QSO" window the main frequency is in the "QSO information" tab, while the "Freq RX" field is in the "Satellite" tab.

In the main qso entry sections (where new log entries go) the tabs are called "QSO info (F1)" and "SAT/Prop (F6)".

Let me know if you can see it now.

73 Tony
N4IQ
Novice Class

Post by N4IQ »

Thanks Tony - OK now I know where for find the Freq RX - I never thought to look there under Satellite tab. Works great. I can change those QSOs now. 73 Bill N4iQ
yo3ipr
Advanced Class

Post by yo3ipr »

Hi Daniele

This problem continues to happen. Even though I am aware that it can happen
I am still being caught out occasionally and I found a few more entries in
LOTW marked as "crossband" as a result.

Is there a fix available yet?

73 Tony YO3IPR
IW3HMH
Site Admin

Post by IW3HMH »

Fixed in next release.
When you "suspend" cat readings both frequencies will reset to ZERO (not logged)
Daniele Pistollato - IW3HMH
yo3ipr
Advanced Class

Post by yo3ipr »

Hi Daneile

This will not solve the problem in every case. Sometimes it has nothing to do with using "suspend CAT".

For example: I have a QSO which I later find showed the wrong frequency because I had already QSY-ed before making the log entry. When I manually edit the frequency in the QSO record, the "RX frequency" is not changed. In fact, it is this that has caused the problems for me. As I wrote before, there are 2 solutions:

1) When SAT mode is not enabled "RX frequency" is always left blank (like all versions up to 1.22), or

2) When SAT mode is not enabled "RX frequency" always follows any changes made to the frequency in "QSO Information" when that is edited manually.

Can you do this? I guess option 1 would be easier to do.

P.S.
We do not need "RX frequency" unless we are using SAT mode (or working cross band, which is not covered by LOG4OM).